Did anyone preorder the Ipad today?

Our local BB was sold out just a bit after opening on Saturday. Lines started at 4AM, I don't do 4AM any more!! :)

You hold up the iphone as an example of good sales, but remember it was preceded by much more hype and was only available to customers of a single phone carrier.

The iPad was sold at 675 Best Buy stores, the inventory sold TO those stores is included in the 'we sold 300k' figure, not just the number sold to consumers. Your post is the first I've seen of any sell out news (and there were only 15 - 3 of each SKU - at each Best Buy).

Apple 'sold out' online of preorders. This finite number is also included in the 300k. I kinda feel bad for the people that ordered online when they changed it to 'shipping 4/12' since there are iPads sitting on shelves today (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...106354.html?mod=WSJ_business_LeadStoryRotator)

Remember just a week or two ago people were debating about a 100-150k figure for preorders, and now when all is said and done we get less than double that as total orders.

The price is going to have to come down, trying to portray a Wii-like shortage isn't going to work when they can't sell their initial lots. Expect more numbers games when they tack on 3G and those are released.

Last edited:
The iPad was sold at 675 Best Buy stores, the inventory sold TO those stores is included in the 'we sold 300k' figure, not just the number sold to consumers. Your post is the first I've seen of any sell out news (and there were only 15 - 3 of each SKU - at each Best Buy).
Thats a small number of Best Buy stores. Here in Connecticut we got a few Best Buy's but only one that sell Apple Products in store.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...65621713345324.html?mod=WSJ_hps_LEFTWhatsNews

"While we had expected Best Buy stores to receive only 10-20 iPads per store, it seems many received 100 or more, with the average coming in at around 75 or so for the stores we checked," compared with Apple stores' average of more than 200 or so devices, said Bill Shope, a Credit Suisse information-technology hardware analyst, in a note to clients. "In fact, some of the [Best Buy] stores received a second shipment by late Saturday morning after exhausting their initial supplies."

Thats a small number of Best Buy stores. Here in Connecticut we got a few Best Buy's but only one that sell Apple Products in store.

There are 3 BB's within an hour of me. My local one is the only one that sells Apple stuff other than iPhones.

Our store got 15 by opening and an uncertain small number a little after opening.

Even leaving aside the different nature of the two products - iPhone and iPad - it is hard to find a set of comparable numbers.
iPhone sold around 270K over the weekend, iPad - around 300K over 15 hours. Likely less.
But that doesn't include the 3G version that will ship later - and based on some polls that model was half as popular as the WiFi-only one. So, we might have 400K total. Or thereabout.

In the end, "comparable" would be the word to use.
And that I believe reiterates the point that on the first weekend Apple products are bought by people that would buy anything with the coveted logo on it (sans journos, reviewers and few other groups). Half-year sales would be more representative of the success of a new product...

Diogen.

Since they're reporting all ipads shipped to BB stores as part of the 300k, this kinda messes up the sales numbers a bit more (not in Apple's favor).

They're a public company, we'll find out how well they did at the end of the quarter.

Well the WSJ said 300k sold not 300k shipped. It is not clear that they are counting all those shipped to BB as part of the 300k.

Well the WSJ said 300k sold not 300k shipped. It is not clear that they are counting all those shipped to BB as part of the 300k.
Not really.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/apple-sells-over-300000-ipads-first-day-89904642.html
Apple® today announced that it sold over 300,000 iPads in the US as of midnight Saturday, April 3. These sales included deliveries of pre-ordered iPads to customers, deliveries to channel partners and sales at Apple Retail Stores.

Diogen.

Frankly, I'm not sure what the big deal is with these numbers. All bestbuy stores on this side of town all have Apple owned spaces, even the one that is next door to the Apple store!

So, if the goal here is to diminish the number sold, and you average the deliveries to "channel partners" as a number not sold at all the Apple stores delivered 235,000 on Saturday. Now add back roughly 30% of the shipments delivered as a conservative estimate and we could say that 250,000 were activated by buying customers. All stores here were closed on Sunday due to Easter holiday.
I wanted to see how the Apple store was doing so I stopped by at 2PM and it was at capacity and I had to wait to enter the store with dozens waiting outside. While I waited a dozen or so people walked out with their iPad and smiles. It really was fascinating to watch. The Bestbuy store nearby had sold out on Saturday and just a few people were playing with the demos.

There is no big deal with the numbers and no one is trying to diminish them...
The goal is to find numbers not soaked in hype, new-speak, and other "awesomeness"...

This thread started with claims 25K order per hour and ended with 250K sold all inclusive.
And analyst predictions ranging from 1 to 7 million devices sold by year end.

Quite a bit of a difference, isn't it?

Diogen.

The goal is to find numbers not soaked in hype, new-speak, and other "awesomeness"...

Why? What is the motivation?

Are you trying to predict stock jumps to muster some quick cash? If you already own a nice chunk of stock, I wouldn't worry so much as it is what it is and Apple doesn't seem to be suffering too much in that area right now.

Why? What is the motivation?

Are you trying to predict stock jumps to muster some quick cash? If you already own a nice chunk of stock, I wouldn't worry so much as it is what it is and Apple doesn't seem to be suffering too much in that area right now.

Don, you are the only one who ever talks about stock prices. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)