Did DirecTV update their DVRs to not use SSD drives?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dan Smereczynski

Original poster
Dec 20, 2010
I have two HR21 receivers that I upgraded to SSD drives 256 gig ones. I did this so I can take the fan out and have it silent since both are in bedrooms. Well last week, I got a message saying that the Direct TV unit was BELOW operating temperature. I take it since directv uses the temp sensor in the hard drive, and there isn't one in my Crucial SSD drive, it could not pick it up so it assumed it was 32 degrees. Anyway - I replaced the drives with regular ones and it works, but the sound is driving me nuts (I like quiet at night). Anyone know how to get around this?

There out there. I find the One I am using .

While I dont use it in my dtv reciver

Intel X25-E SSD does have full Smart support including thermal reporting.

I never would have even thought of putting an SSD in a HDDVR, but with them getting as large as 256GB I guess it is an option now.
I think stonecold has it, you would have to have a temperature sensor.

what is the point of using such low storage for a DVR though? I can't even hear my DVR over the audio from a show, so I don't see how noise can be an issue. Is speed really that much better on a DVR with an SSD? I doubt it makes the actual receiver run faster. They also have limited rewrites

I think he just one of those people who brain cant focus out sounds.

Now I have a Hr24 and Hr10 sit on on top of each other and right now it is dead silent with both o them recording . but if i try to make my self hear the fans I can but normally i just filter it out unless a fan gone bad and is ratling.

I never would have even thought of putting an SSD in a HDDVR, but with them getting as large as 256GB I guess it is an option now.
I think stonecold has it, you would have to have a temperature sensor.

With how much SSD costs per gigabyte, I would never waste one on my DVRs for any reason. Spending $600 on a drive that is 1/2 the capacity and 10 times the price of the original, while offering no other benefit (if you can hear the hard drive spinning, it's either going bad or you should be a spy) is just silly.

what is the point of using such low storage for a DVR though? I can't even hear my DVR over the audio from a show, so I don't see how noise can be an issue. Is speed really that much better on a DVR with an SSD? I doubt it makes the actual receiver run faster. They also have limited rewrites

The dvr is in his bedroom. Obviously he isn't from New York City!

The dvr is in his bedroom. Obviously he isn't from New York City!
didn't catch that. I still can't hear mine even when I go to sleep, but maybe he has a louder hard drive or much better hearing

didn't catch that. I still can't hear mine even when I go to sleep, but maybe he has a louder hard drive or much better hearing

I have an HR20 in my bedroom. It doesn't keep me awake, either.

I used the SSD drives because I do not like the white noise the unit produces. Between the fan spinning, the hard drive spinning , I can hear the box fairly well.. I tried the Intel SSD and I guess it doesnt have the temp sensor either because I was back to being stuck on temperature too low screen. I will keep looking!

I dont know what to say I have the intel ssd in my hr22 and it works with out issue.
The OP has an HR21, so there could be some other difference between his older model and your HR22 that is the cause of the low temp reading when a SSD is used.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)