Did I do something stupid? Read please...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zellio2008

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
I'm getting Charter tv installed tommorow... Basic cable package (digital), $9.99, $5 when you count that cable internet without tv has a $5 charge.

They will be connected to three tvs on coax. My Directv stays, this is for emergencies (On really severe weather, my directv goes. My charter internet ususally stays, but can sometimes go. the cable tv would be a good backup. I have backup generators, so I would want this).

The problem I have is this house... was not pre wired for cable. It is wired pretty well, but the basement stores all the wiring. And right now I have the basement jam packed with cable internet wires, directv wires (5 rooms, 8 device splitter, with a 4 channel device outside, wires everywhere, but they are kept pretty well up on the ceiling.

Is this normal for basement wiring, am I just nervous? I know damn well their isn't a big issue with fire problems or anything like that, but damn I have too many cables in the basement!

It is broke though. One time a bad storm was here and both Directv and internet died!\

It may have been one time, but a possible safety risk is 'broke' for me.

You didn't mention any storm.

In this case, you need to determine exactly what your needs are and plan accordingly. Make a schematic of all your current wiring and what it's for. Then make sure all of the wiring is in good shape, replace anything that needs it.
Adn make sure the wiring from outside is properly grounded. There shouldn't be a safety hazard then.

BTW, you wouldn't want to see the wiring above the drop ceiling in my basement. :)

Yep, getting Charter was the dumbest move you made. Horrible PQ, hardware, and customer service has guaranteed that I will NEVER go back to them. You can shoot me full of nails and I won't ever go back!

Yep, getting Charter was the dumbest move you made. Horrible PQ, hardware, and customer service has guaranteed that I will NEVER go back to them. You can shoot me full of nails and I won't ever go back!

sounds just like Comcast. I wouldnt get them again if my life depended on it.

You could diplex the cable and or install an A B switch.........the cable internet will be disrupted by the DTV. BBCs have to be upstream of the diplexers. OR see if the cable guy can do all his runs in white.

The mess of cables is no biggie as long as you have access to splitters. A tech with a toner can sort the runs pretty EZ.

Charter was around here for awhile.......they sold to North American Broadband and things got better.

Good luck.

Joe

Last edited:
Charter is owned by ex Microsoft owner, Paul Allen, one of the richest men on earth. The guy has billions in cash but most of his companies go bankrupt. He also owns the Portland Trailblazers. His company that manages the Rose Garden stadium filed for protection a couple years ago and a bunch of local small businesses lost a lot of money while Paul Allen sailed around the world in his 415 foot yacht, The Octopus.

Back to the subject of this thread. Do you really need TV so bad that it needs a back up source? Buy a couple DVD's and save your money.

Are you certain that the basic cable package is digital???

That would almost certainly mean that you would have to add a STB or two to actually receive channels on TVs that aren't digital cable ready.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts