Did I just get a 4200v doorstop??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
since resets don't appear to be the issue, I wonder if it's something else because virtual channels starting at 100 seem to be more like the default map than a map that was loaded in.
possibly

Did you go to the tuning screen, enter the parameters, hit "tune" or whatever the button is and see if you got a green light on the front panal?
yes. Top green light goes on. I then hit option 4-4 to get into diagnostic screen to verify in the top corner it shows a 7 (or locked). I wait 5-10 minutes then hit view to view the channels...supposedly

After a while, you should go check the virtual channel list to make sure it's not the default virtual channel map. After that is done, you should go to Diag B and see what the diagnostics say (whether the are MP resulting in black screen or if you get FP or ZK with no audio/video when there should be assuming your unit has had its hit before.

OK I'll have to try that later today

I just hooked mine up and checked it out.
Mine's running the 00007C firmware, which is the most recent update.
It gets all the ZK and FP up there.
Iceberg, I think, since it's version 000030, yours may be one that's never been authorized. :rolleyes:

I just hooked mine up and checked it out.
Mine's running the 00007C firmware, which is the most recent update.
It gets all the ZK and FP up there.
Iceberg, I think, since it's version 000030, yours may be one that's never been authorized. :rolleyes:
There is nothing wrong with the 000030 firmware, in fact I liked it better than the 7C because the 30 version would generally go to the first channel in the mux when the VCT was finished loading, but the 7C seems to just sit on the default settings until you hit channel up or key in a channel. Not a big deal, but I found the old version more convenient.
I didn't think that there were too many people besides myself who had the 7C firmware, because that firmware was a special upload to correct damage done by the KET firmware that turned several people's box into a boat anchor. When people on a 4200 mailing list I was on complained, a GI representative went to KET, and sent us all to a Delphi forum, (which seems similar to the commercial forum on Satforums now), and gave us instructions for setting the receiver on the KET transponder and downloading the 7C firmware into the 4200 (actually there was nothing we had to do, except not to panic and turn it off in mid transfer). Seems like there were only a half dozen or so people on line at the time, so I thought that there were only a half dozen people who got the new firmware, but maybe they sent that firmware up routinely after that, and other receivers got the update without the owners knowing?
Anyway, just curious where you got your receiver, and how it got 7C into it?

was that shipped?

heck makes my 15 buck 4200 (before shipping) look bad (at least yours works) ;)

was that shipped?

Nope, the shipping was on top of the $11, but I don't remember how much.
(The best receiver deal I ever got was my SA D9234... )
-that one was 99cents plus shipping! :eek:

Best deal I ever got was having it given to me for free :eek: :D That would be the DSR 405 and the Visionsat IV-200 PVR Plus.

I got mine off fleabay, probably almost 2 years ago now. 11 bucks with the remote!
was that shipped?

Well.... I think I paid approximately $1150 for mine, and I got it primarily to receive PBS. Kind of sad to see the things selling for next to nothing now. At least my 2nd one only cost me about $45, so I guess that means an average of $600, which doesn't sound quite so bad. :(

EDIT: BTW, I'm not sure if this is even possible, but there were a couple guys over on the other forum that discusses commercial receivers, who said that they have sold a few used 4200s, and they said that they ALWAYS wiped the receivers clean before shipping, so that the authorization state was gone, meaning that they'd be useless to the average buyer. I can't imagine why they would do something like that, but I'm also not sure that it's even possible. I know there is that reset authorization button on the menu that has the factory default button, but I didn't think that that wiped out authorization status, because I'm pretty sure that I accidently hit that button once (although I'm not positive that I hit time or return, or even which you're supposed to hit, so it's possible that I didn't really use that function). But after hitting that, nothing much happened, and I didn't lose the authorization status, ie I didn't have to go back to GPTV for it to keep working. So I'm not sure what they guys were talking about if not the reset authorization button.

Last edited:
I know there is that reset authorization button on the menu that has the factory default button, but I didn't think that that wiped out authorization status, because I'm pretty sure that I accidently hit that button once (although I'm not positive that I hit time or return, or even which you're supposed to hit, so it's possible that I didn't really use that function). But after hitting that, nothing much happened, and I didn't lose the authorization status, ie I didn't have to go back to GPTV for it to keep working. So I'm not sure what they guys were talking about if not the reset authorization button.
I know I've always made sure to be very careful near that button... I wasn't sure if it really meant "Instant Doorstop" :eek: -but I didn't want to take any chances!
(BTW, GPTV is what mine stayed on, until they shut off the sat signal.) :(

Ice... I just went over to the Satforums commercial DCII forum. Haven't been any posts there for nearly a year, but a couple of the last few posts dealt with this issue, and there were a couple of responses from usually reliable sources, who said that an unauthorized 4200 could NOT get ZK. I'm embarassed to say that I was even one of the posters in that thread, and either I just didn't believe it at the time, or I missed the implication. I feel bad now, because I've been telling people for years that even if unauthorized that they still should be able to get the ZK things, because that's what I've been told about the receiver from the start, but perhaps that's wrong. It is possible that the 7C firmware changed that behavior though, because at the time GI uploaded the 7C firmware, they did it so that the receivers would function as FTA receivers for non scrambled signals. Anyway, it might be worth your while to leave the receiver running on a non-subscription DCII channel, ie one that might have been originally using 4200s and might still have 4200 firmware being uploaded occasionally, and it's remotely possible that your unit might catch a firmware upload. I think the best chance would be on a point to point type service like NET, or possibly one of the Mexican channels. Unlikely, but possible. When this was done on KET, it would only happen on rare occasions. Ie you could leave the receiver on KET for hours, and nothing would happen, but then a firmware download would start. It will only start a download if the version available has a higher number than what's on the 4200, but with the 000030 version, any other version is more recent. It would be nice if someone at NET could be located who could put 4200 UIDs into the authorization stream. You'd think that they'd do that, hoping that people would contribute during a pledge drive.

BJ
I'm going to try a known ZK item...either the music channels or the Shaw DIrect (Starchoice) channel and let it sit for 15-20 minutes and see

If it can't get anything I guess I'll keep the remote and the power cord :)

doorstop :(

Hooked up receiver to 125W
did master reset
programmed in correct info....green lite went on
backed out one screen then 4-4....shows a "7" in the corner

waited 15 minutes

hit view and get 101-156 (it did show 100 when I first backed out but it disappeared after that)

black screen...no audio....no nothing :(

doorstop :(

Hooked up receiver to 125W
did master reset
programmed in correct info....green lite went on
backed out one screen then 4-4....shows a "7" in the corner

waited 15 minutes

hit view and get 101-156 (it did show 100 when I first backed out but it disappeared after that)

black screen...no audio....no nothing :(
Not good. Those are the correct channel numbers (same as mine) for that service,
but you should have audio, along with video stills that show artist info, and song titles...bummer.:(

yeah I use to have a 4200c that at least played audio. That one the video was all screwed up

nope. Thats inhuman

I took out the Phillips screwdriver and slowly took it apart while I waited for the Pansat to finish scanning 87W.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)