Did I miss news of Dish changing extended warranty program?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
I though that the Dish extended warranty program was $1.99 per month and it covered all repairs. I happened to check the Dish web site http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/warranty/index.shtml and now the program has two different options. The $1.99 just give you $20 off the $49.99 repair fee and the $4.99 per month is free repair, plus you have to pay an activation fee. Was it always like this or did they slip something in on us???

The examples they show is for no warranty $49.99 repair+$14.95 shipping=$64.94. For the $1.99/month plan they show $29.99 repair+$14.95 shipping=$44.94. For the $4.99/month play they show no charge for the same service. I understand the shipping charge for the $1.99 but I didn't know they they were also charging $29.99 for the repair.

I enrolled in the $1.99 a month warranty program just last month and what is now being stated on the E* website is not the warranty program I know I signed up for. It has definitely changed. :x

Also, when you sign up for the warranty plan they are requiring a 12 month commitment.

$1.99 a month x 12 months = $23.88 = $20 warranty discount.

Go figure.

I enrolled in the $1.99 a month warranty program just last month and what is now being stated on the E* website is not the warranty program I know I signed up for. It has definitely changed.

Isn't it just like a cell phone policy and that you will be grandfathered in under the old terms ?

Did any one save a copy of the old terms ?

heirway said:
I enrolled in the $1.99 a month warranty program just last month and what is now being stated on the E* website is not the warranty program I know I signed up for. It has definitely changed. :x

Also, when you sign up for the warranty plan they are requiring a 12 month commitment.

$1.99 a month x 12 months = $23.88 = $20 warranty discount.

Go figure.

Ditto except I enrolled about five months ago.

dlsnyder said:
Maybe they are losing money on repairing Dish Players? :D

Or it's all those $149 refurb Dish 6K's that they sent out, they're expecting them to be coming back. ;)

This confuses people all the time.

If you call with problem and need repair you can sign up for the extended warrenty and save $20.

If you have had the warrenty for more than 30 days the repair is free.

n0qcu said:

If you call with problem and need repair you can sign up for the extended warrenty and save $20.

Kevin, so you're saying that Dish has always had two tiers of extended warrenty service and that they've always charged $29.99 +shipping for a repair on the $1.99 plan? I don't remember it being that way.

rad said:
n0qcu said:

Kevin, so you're saying that Dish has always had two tiers of extended warrenty service and that they've always charged $29.99 +shipping for a repair on the $1.99 plan? I don't remember it being that way.

No, what I am saying is if you do NOT have the $1.99 plan you can sign up and save $20 on the repair. If you have the plan for more than 30 days you are covered at no charge for repair.

n0qcu said:
rad said:
n0qcu said:

No, what I am saying is if you do NOT have the $1.99 plan you can sign up and save $20 on the repair. If you have the plan for more than 30 days you are covered at no charge for repair.

Nick, have you checked the web site lately (the link above)? They have a chart in it that shows examples and nowhere does it show on the $1.99 plan that you don't pay for the repair, only a $20 discount on the regular price. It doesn't say anything about having the plan for more then 30 days make it a zero repair charge.

I think what that chart means is if you call in and subscribe to the warranty plan and at the same time need a receiver repaired, they will give a $20 discount for the repair if you sign up right then for the warranty. I signed up for the $1.99 plan this week and they said you only pay shipping on a repair.

When I signed up last month, they told me that the $1.99 plan covered replacing the receiver, but did not include shipping OR sending an installer out to hook it up. The $4.99 plan covers shipping and labor as well.

Since most of us here can swap out a receiver on our own, only the shipping makes the difference. And unless you expect problems more than once every 6 months, it is better to go for the cheaper deal.

$1.99 to insure 3 PVRs is a no brainer for me.

OK, I don't mean to be anal here but the web site (not a CSR) has a chart at this link for the extended warranty:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/warranty/ext_warr/index.shtml

The bottom line says that if you have the extended warranty you pay $46.93, if you don't you pay $64.94. Nowhere does it say that Dish is going to replace a defective piece of hardware for free (you need the $4.99 plan for that).

We all know that CSR's don't always know what's up at Dish and recent policy changes. I have a friend at work that's interested in the 322 and 522 on the DHP. I told him about the documented phone line requirement. He called Dish to get some further information and asked about the phone line requirement and the CSR said that you only need a phone line, even for the 322/522 if you want to purchase PPV via the remote.

Now if I'm wrong about this please point me to the place on Dish's web site that says for $1.99 per month you'll get an extended warranty where you do not pay anything for a repair (except for shipping).

rad said:
OK, I don't mean to be anal here but the web site (not a CSR) has a chart at this link for the extended warranty:

The bottom line says that if you have the extended warranty you pay $46.93, if you don't you pay $64.94. Nowhere does it say that Dish is going to replace a defective piece of hardware for free (you need the $4.99 plan for that).

We all know that CSR's don't always know what's up at Dish and recent policy changes. I have a friend at work that's interested in the 322 and 522 on the DHP. I told him about the documented phone line requirement. He called Dish to get some further information and asked about the phone line requirement and the CSR said that you only need a phone line, even for the 322/522 if you want to purchase PPV via the remote.

Now if I'm wrong about this please point me to the place on Dish's web site that says for $1.99 per month you'll get an extended warranty where you do not pay anything for a repair (except for shipping).

OUT OF WARRANTY! The way I understand it, the Equipment is out of warranty if the extended warranty has not been in effect for 30 days.

rad said:

Please READ the page first. That chart shows what you'd have to pay for OUT OF WARRANTY (that means you do NOT have a currenty warranty) work. Now once the warranty becomes active (30 day waiting period after purchase), according to paragraph #3 in the "terms and conditions" information, ALL PARTS AND LABOR ARE COVERED EXCEPT FOR SHIPPING (on the $1.99/month plan). Bottom line. If you HAVE this warranty, it covers ALL DISH-BRANDED EQUIPMENT AT NO COST TO YOU EXCEPT FOR SHIPPING. If you do NOT currently have a warranty, then the chart shows you how much you'd save on the CURRENT repair if you opt for the warranty coverage at the time you need repair versus the cost to you if you do NOT opt for the warranty coverage.

rad said:

No you don't, You need to read the page for the link your provided. The chart at the bottom states it is for an OOW (out of warranty repair). While this is somewhat confusing, it means that if you submit a repair that is out of warranty, you will receive a $20.00 discount. It should tell you what an in warranty repair costs...but it doesn't. E* can do a better job on there site then they do.

rad etall:

rad, et all:

I'm with you but I have no proof! When I subscribed to the $1.99 extended warrenty option last January the web site stated that replacement would be free. I would only pay for shipping.

I wish I had printed it out!!! Did any of you???

I wonder what will happen next Jan.

Stingray

I believe this is how it goes. If you have the $5 warranty you get service for $29 and parts for free (such as receiver, lnbf, switch, remote, anything with a Dish logo). With the $2 warranty you get the parts with Dish logo for free but have to pay shipping if you dont have credit card or checking account autopay. You pay the full amount for service.

You have to have the warranty for 30 days until it takes effect. If you purchase the warranty while calling in to report something had happened then they will give you a discount on the parts/labor. You have to keep the warranty for 12 months or they will charge you like $25 or $30.

Considering some have to pay $15 for the advanced exchange and having to pay $29 for a service call for the $5 warranty that is like paying only $14 for the service in a way when you see the difference of $29-$25=$14 (unless they still charge the advanced exchange on top of the $29 fee making it $44).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts