Did not enjoy this college football season

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
I created a new thread so as not to rain on the parade in the College Bowl thread. Trying to be nice, because according to the rules going in, Alabama won the championship fair and square...and I don't want to take anything away from that. But if someone wants to merge this somewhere...I don't really care.

In all the years I've been watching college footall, I would have to say this is the least satisfying season I've ever seen. It's never perfect in college football, there are always 'what-if's'...but something was wrong this year. It just seems incomplete or something.

You have a champion who not only was not champion of their own conference...because they are in the same division as LSU, they didn't even play in the conference championship game...they sat home and got a virtual bye. Not good.

Now they've split with LSU, losing at home and winning at a neutral site. At least a rubber game might make it seem less incomplete for me. But PLEASE...for the love of all that is holy, no more Alabama-LSU games this year! Enough already.

Yeah, great defense, all the numbers would give Rex Ryan a you-know-what...but even that seems fake. I mean, they played LSU and Arkansas at home, Penn State probably looked like a tough game when they scheduled it but it didn't turn out that way, and you get the feeling the entire SEC is offensively challenged.

And Georgia Southern running up 300 yards rushing on Alabama in November still bugs me. I know Georgia Southern has an unusual offense, but if you want to be considered an all-time great defense, you have to be able to stop unusual offenses too...and Alabama couldn't.

And I'm sorry, this is just my opinion, but that was ugly football. My goodness. If it worked for you, that's awesome. It didn't work for me.

I never EVER miss a championship game...but in all honesty I switched to ESPN 2 during a commercial, which was showing a documentary about Chris Herren, and didn't switch back right away like I normally would. I didn't even bother to pause the game and catch up. I got back to the game at 10:30, when the documentary ended.

If a championship game cannot hold the attention for a sports junkie like me for the entire game, when the game is tight...that's really bad.

Bring on March Madness. I need college closure.

Sandra

Last edited:
its ok sandra. and for the first time in awhile i didn't even bother to look at this game. from what i've read and the highlights i've seen i don't think i missed much.

Last edited:
Alabama took their rightful place at number ONE. Since you didnt watch, they absolutely ABUSED the "honey Bear" all night long as well as LSU's offensive line.. And as far as GS's triple option goes, Bama smothered it when jefferson ran it last night. Too bad they couldnt have destroyed some pretenders like Stanford, oregon or Okie state along the way. Come on down to Tuscalosa so we can sing Rammer Jammer after we beat the Hell out of you too!

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bedlam basketball was on at the start of the snoozefest and then it was a Lamborghini showdown on Top Gear that had my viewing attention. Updates on the bottom line during the basketball game was enough to know I wasn't missing anything. Bring on some excitement with the Superbowl and March Madness.

The BCS is a joke...They need to have a playoff system just like FCS.They'll never do it though because there is way too much money riding on those bowl games.

That said I honestly do think that Bama deserved to be the champion.That defense is something special and they totally dominated LSU at the superdome which isn't too far from the LSU home stadium.I don't believe any team could have beat bama last night.

I created a new thread so as not to rain on the parade in the College Bowl thread. Trying to be nice, because according to the rules going in, Alabama won the championship fair and square...and I don't want to take anything away from that. But if someone wants to merge this somewhere...I don't really care.

In all the years I've been watching college footall, I would have to say this is the least satisfying season I've ever seen. It's never perfect in college football, there are always 'what-if's'...but something was wrong this year. It just seems incomplete or something.

You have a champion who not only was not champion of their own conference...because they are in the same division as LSU, they didn't even play in the conference championship game...they sat home and got a virtual bye. Not good.

Now they've split with LSU, losing at home and winning at a neutral site. At least a rubber game might make it seem less incomplete for me. But PLEASE...for the love of all that is holy, no more Alabama-LSU games this year! Enough already.

Yeah, great defense, all the numbers would give Rex Ryan a you-know-what...but even that seems fake. I mean, they played LSU and Arkansas at home, Penn State probably looked like a tough game when they scheduled it but it didn't turn out that way, and you get the feeling the entire SEC is offensively challenged.

And Georgia Southern running up 300 yards rushing on Alabama in November still bugs me. I know Georgia Southern has an unusual offense, but if you want to be considered an all-time great defense, you have to be able to stop unusual offenses too...and Alabama couldn't.

And I'm sorry, this is just my opinion, but that was ugly football. My goodness. If it worked for you, that's awesome. It didn't work for me.

I never EVER miss a championship game...but in all honesty I switched to ESPN 2 during a commercial, which was showing a documentary about Chris Herren, and didn't switch back right away like I normally would. I didn't even bother to pause the game and catch up. I got back to the game at 10:30, when the documentary ended.

If a championship game cannot hold the attention for a sports junkie like me for the entire game, when the game is tight...that's really bad.

Bring on March Madness. I need college closure.

Sandra

Uh oh... I agree with every you said! :eek: I think what MIGHT has added to the disatisfaction to you or didn't help was the fact that your team(as well as mine) went through coaching change, scandal, NCAA investigation and consequent NCAA BS. Couple that the BCS garbage of putting 2 teams that more than likely only a pocket of people WANTED to see... a perfect recipe for you post above.

I know and feel exactly the same way.

Maybe this will be the impetus to get the playoff talk going again...

Overnight ratings for Alabama's 21-0 victory over LSU were the lowest for a national championship in the 14-year history of the BCS. The All-SEC affair, the first championship pairing teams from the same conference, drew a 13.8 overnight rating on ESPN. The previous record low was a 14.3 for Miami-Nebraska at the 2002 Rose Bowl.
Alabama-LSU produces lowest TV rating for national championship in BCS era | al.com

waaaaaaa....

Funny how all the ones who resisted the SEC's calls for playoffs when Auburn got left out are now crying when the system they supported leaves them out.

Sorry, but those complaints fall on deaf ears.

Maybe if other conferences would actually attempt to have defense they could challenge the SEC.

As for ratings, don't forget the game is now cable only, which is always lower than OTA.

I think there may be just a few more cable/satellite subscribers nationally that have ESPN than ones that rely solely on OTA viewing. Plus, most of the regular season ESPN Monday night NFL telecasts did better ratings than last night...

I think he meant network, and not strictly OTA. Generally speaking he is correct. Networks (ABC, CBS, Ect) generally, but not always, draws better ratings than cable channels.

There are exceptions obviously.

I don't have a problem with Alabama being number 1, I do think there should be a playoff but there isn't one so we have to live with what we got.

If Stanford or Oklahoma state think they should of played in NC game than maybe they shouldn't of lost.

Alabama plays in a tougher conference than anybody else that isn't in the SEC.

as far as playing the conference championship game, what if West Virginia went undefeated should they play in the NC game? The Big East doesn't have a conference championship game.

Those thinking bama is not the rightful champion are kidding yourself. Those of us (yes me. I'm an Auburn fan) not enjoying this season are pissed because our team didn't win or looked really bad at times. I thought as far as excitement goes it was a great season overall. Can't wait until next season.:)

Uh oh... I agree with every you said! :eek: I think what MIGHT has added to the disatisfaction to you or didn't help was the fact that your team(as well as mine) went through coaching change, scandal, NCAA investigation and consequent NCAA BS. Couple that the BCS garbage of putting 2 teams that more than likely only a pocket of people WANTED to see... a perfect recipe for you post above.

I know and feel exactly the same way.

Had a feeling somebody would mention Ohio State, and for me that has nothing to do with it. I watch all playoff games equally in all sports, whether my team comes thisclose to getting there, has an historic collapse like the 2004 Yankees, or crumbles right from the start like so many Ranger teams. It's irrelevant.

If LSU had beaten another team like Oklahoma State, I would not have this incomplete feeling. And again, I'm not taking anything away from Alabama. They won the championship fair and square.

I'm just saying my unsatisfied feeling has nothing to do with Ohio State, and everything to do with the reasons I said in my OP.

Sandra

I didn't care for this college football season either. The BCS pretty much ruined college football and the only thing that can save it is a college football playoff system. At Least Michigan did great this year going 10-2 and winning the sugar bowl.

I'll have to agree with you Sandra. Last night was the first time since the BCS National Championship was created that I didn't tune it. I didn't even bother to check the score. It sounded like a snoozer. Perhaps a more compelling matchup will happen next year. But I was SOOOO not into another Bama/LSU snooze fest.

Alabama plays in a tougher conference than anybody else that isn't in the SEC.

:blah: :censored::censored:

The Big 12 and sec have been pretty much equal the past several years and it is pretty much a given, even among the media that the Big 12 overall was tougher this year. LSU and Arkansas are the only teams in the sec that had a tough schedule.

I don't have a problem with Alabama, they're a good team probably the best this year, but they didn't really play anyone to prove that. What I have a problem with is all the politicking and the excuses the sec comes up with to try an justify bama getting in.

Losing late in the season is a problem with the bcs. Everyone has a bad night. Bama had theirs in early Nov, OSU and Stanford in mid Nov and LSU last night. The current rules are what they are, hopefully that changes for the better, because it has been getting worse for the past couple of years. The crappy rating last night shows college football screwed up this year. Nobody wanted to see that replay of snoozefest except the sec and espn.

The last time I checked this country was made up of more than the sec states. If you want to be crowned the national champs, you should play the best teams from the entire nation.

Wining your division - doesn't matter.

Winning your conference- doesn't matter.

Tougher schedule- doesn't matter.

Oklahoma State should have had a chance.

Why did Bama get it's chance? Because they're Bama.

I hope you're happy, voters.