Did OTA Channels Go Down Hill?

Discussion in 'Over the Air TV By RabbitEars.Info' started by vcr1980, Jul 10, 2018.

1. TNGTony

TNGTony Unashamed Bengal Fan

When I took a broadcasting class in college in 1980 the professor said right off the bat: "To the viewing public, every year seems to be worse than the last year. You have to fight nostalgia. Viewers only remember the few good shows that come out every year, or their favorite old shows. They forget shows like "My Mother the Car", "Brady Bunch Hour", and that recent gem of the TV universe, "Super Train" ever existed.
    I never forgot that. It's so true. Look back at the TV line-ups and you will find it loaded with crap!

Geronimo and billowens like this.
  2. TNGuy84

TNGuy84 New Member

I think the government mandated E/I stuff killed off the Saturday morning cartoon blocks. When I was kid, they didn't care if the stuff they aired was educational in nature. They aired something that was entertaining with ratings. Now, all of those Saturday morning shows have that E/I logo at the top to meet the standards for broadcasting. We can't let the kids have fun on Saturday. We've got to treat them like they're in school on Saturday mornings.

3. Justin Hill

Justin Hill SatelliteGuys Guru

That was until Sinclair Broadcast Group started adding KidsClick to their MyNetworkTV, FOX and CW affiliates alongside their E/I content in 2017.

Line Up Of TV Shows | KidsCLICK.com

billowens likes this.
  4. TNGTony

TNGTony Unashamed Bengal Fan

The educational requirement to TV stations has been around since the 1950s. We're talking 3 hours PER WEEK. What did change is that now the stations have to identify the I/E programs on air.
    What killed off Saturday morning cartoons is the availability of cartoons on a dozen channels on cable and streaming 24/7. No need to wait for Saturday Morning. Ratings for Saturday morning cartoons were always dismal. News gets better ratings, and it's all about the bucks.

5. N5XZS

N5XZS SatelliteGuys Pro

Beside E/I TV shows are making kid fat and lazy. And it's overequlated by the FCC and dumb congress critters.:(:facepalm

danristheman likes this.
  6. Justin Hill

Justin Hill SatelliteGuys Guru

I preferred to be entertained by the TV, educated by the internet.

danristheman and osu1991 like this.

Separate names with a comma.

More...