Did Pittsburgh locals change satellites?

textmex

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
I live in Rochester, NY but use a Pittsburgh service address to get the local channels. I've been having trouble with my locals and now they are sending out a rep. Did the Pittsburgh locals change to a different satellite? I just want to know what to expect before the tech gets here.

thanks!

The Pittsburgh locals moved to the new Echostar 16 sat on 61.5. More than likely they're on a spotbeam pointed towards Pittsburgh and chances are that spotbeam doesn't reach Rochester, NY so you're probably not gonna get them anymore. I don't think the tech is going to help you with this one.

Yes, they did. They used to be on a CONUS beam (entire US) and now are only pointing to the Pittsburgh area (spotbeam). Go figure that other markets (like Cincinnati and Jacksonville) that no one wants outside of the immediate area are still CONUS.

BTW, the rep will end up going to your Pittsburgh service address.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of signal do you get on Satellite 61.5, Transponder 29...and does it show as Spotbeam?

Last edited:
BTW, the rep will end up going to your Pittsburgh service address.

yup. Then Dish will move your butt back home (they'll change your service address to your billing address or previous service address). You hope they dont flag your account so if you try and move again they will send a tech to the service address

tumblr_ltapbbMoFz1qa6wbao1_400.png

I changed the service address back before I even scheduled the tech call (which I've since cancelled). This isn't my first "moving" rodeo, fellas!:)

So am I screwed on getting pittsburgh locals? How do I check whether the new "spotbeam" will see me?

So am I screwed on getting pittsburgh locals? How do I check whether the new "spotbeam" will see me?
Last line in post#3. On the ViP receivers, press Menu-6-1-1 and then change the satellite and transponder numbers. You'll most likely have to wait a few minutes to get a lock.

Someone else with a Hopper will have to chime in on getting to the correct screen.

Sat 61.5, Transponder 29 seems to show 0 signal strength. Unless I'm not doing it right,.

@dare2be you're right. I left it on for a couple minutes and it is now showing a signal strength of 5 on 61.5, 29. Presumably this is not enough to get anywhere?

My receivers drop out at around 12. You have little recourse but to move back to your real address, or put up a rather sizable dish.

Well this kind of sucks. I guess Dish just lost themselves a customer. I know "moving" is skirting the "rules", but for almost $150/month you'd think they'd make it easier for me to get whatever stinkin' local channels I want. I'm not a criminal, I just want to watch the Steelers every week from the comfort of my own home!

Well this kind of sucks. I guess Dish just lost themselves a customer. I know "moving" is skirting the "rules", but for almost $150/month you'd think they'd make it easier for me to get whatever stinkin' local channels I want. I'm not a criminal, I just want to watch the Steelers every week from the comfort of my own home!

blame the NAB. They're the ones trying to protect the local stations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)