DISH Hopper Jumps into the Daytona 500, Appears on FOX Despite Network Censorship of the Brand

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Hopper Jumps into the Daytona 500, Appears on FOX Despite Network Censorship of the Brand

DISH appears on FOX through a virtually ad-free No. 95 car piloted by Scott Speed
Satellite TV provider demonstrates its passion for speed as FOX attempts to slow down consumers' viewing experiences
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DISH is hopping into Sunday's Daytona 500 race through its sponsorship of the Leavine Family Racing's No. 95 DISH Ford Fusion to be piloted by up-and-coming driver Scott Speed. Other than the Hopper logo, the car will be virtually ad-free, meaning consumers will see the DISH brand on FOX in spite of the network's ongoing refusal to air ads for DISH's consumer-friendly Hopper™ Whole-Home HD DVR.

DISH sponsors Leavine Family Racing's No. 95 Ford Fusion, driven by Scott Speed, at the Daytona 500.

"The world of technology moves fast, but FOX keeps trying to wave a yellow flag and put consumers under caution, attempting to slow their access to the best in TV entertainment," said DISH President and CEO Joe Clayton. "The Hopper is in the pole position as the fastest in the consumer technology race. We are giving consumers what they want, when they want and where they want it. FOX is trying to hold up traffic. You can't stop the future."

As the Hopper, which was named a "Best of Show" among more than 20,000 products featured at the 2013 International CES, prepares to take to the speedway, FOX has made yet another attempt to slow down consumers' viewing experiences and ability to watch content in a manner that meets their preferences.

Late Thursday night, FOX Broadcasting's lawyers launched another attempt to block DISH from offering certain consumer-friendly features on the Hopper Whole-Home HD DVR, after months of unsuccessful attempts to thwart Hopper's AutoHop and PrimeTime Anytime features.

"Everybody skips commercials, and if FOX, CBS, ABC and NBC think that's illegal, well I guess that makes us a nation of outlaws," continued Clayton. "We might as well make the No. 95 car the DISH fans' getaway car in what is sure to be an exciting race on Sunday!"

Fox also wants to prevent viewers from accessing the recorded television shows they have already paid for while on the road. For race fans, the Hopper is great for catching recorded race highlights and other coverage at the hotel after the race.

DISH is proud to sponsor up-and-coming driver Scott Speed at the Daytona 500. Speed is no stranger to racing and his diverse career in driving includes qualifying for the Formula One team in 2006. Speed became the first American to race in Formula One since Michael Andretti in 1993. His recent success in qualifying for the Daytona 500 makes him a great contender for Sunday.

"I'm a big DISH fan and am excited to return to Daytona International Speedway Sunday with the Hopper riding shotgun," said Scott Speed. "Hopper is great for people like me -- we can record more programming and take our favorite shows with us."

To track Speed and the Hopper as they race around the track, follow @DISH and @scottspeed and search the hashtag #adfreetv, or visit http://www.facebook.com/ScottSpeed and http://www.facebook.com/DISH.

Attachments

• dishCar.jpg
    dishCar.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Well this is NASCAR racing with brands stamped to each car regardless if they show it on Fox Network or not, but Scott is a dish fan and realized the spat between the two, And just sending a message knowing where the race is broadcasting.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Its a smart idea... not sure how much we will see of the car on TV but a smart idea none the less.

I told DISH at CES since DIRECTV dropped NASCAR this year that this was their chance.

Could you imagine next year live aerial shots being provided by the "DISH Hopper Blimp"

If DISH gets a blimp, I want a ride. :D

Dish should have kept being a sponsor of Matt Kenseth. At least he could drive and even win races. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I'm not sure what is more funny, this whole situation or the situation of Dish dropping some local Fox stations owned by Grant - a few of which are in major NASCAR markets.

The networks are fighting a battle of desperation because if Dish prevails, you can be sure that Direct has similar ad skipping technology waiting in the wings with cable providers following closely behind with their own technology, and the networks know this.

Greed will drive the networks to pursue these lawsuits to the bitter end.

Fox wil never show the car, and probably mention it only during the warm up laps. If he were to run up front, they'll show action "back in the pack."

I seem to remember that when fox first started broadcasting Cup they were charging the teams (and sponsors) to show the sponsor logos when talking about the car and drivers. If they didn't pay, fox would show a really plain, 1980s text with the driver name and car number.

Go Jeff Gordon.

Miner

Fox wil never show the car, and probably mention it only during the warm up laps. If he were to run up front, they'll show action "back in the pack."

I seem to remember that when fox first started broadcasting Cup they were charging the teams (and sponsors) to show the sponsor logos when talking about the car and drivers. If they didn't pay, fox would show a really plain, 1980s text with the driver name and car number.

Go Jeff Gordon.

Miner

lol so true.. I may watch it just to see if they do that as I'm not much of a NASCAR fan but I do enjoy the wrecks and the drama unfolding for this reason..may even get to see Danica win and jump out of her car in a string bikini covered in champagne!!

Yeah...the teams/sponsors who buy ad time and "promotional considerations" always get a lot more screen time that most others, especially during the FOX portion of the season, save for the really big teams/drivers. Unless he's getting lapped by the lead draft (or gets stuck running near Danica at any point ;)), I'll be shocked if the Dish car is ever seen on screen.

They're also on another nobody car, the #35 of Josh Wise. It's carrying "Blockbuster" sponsorship.

Makes you wonder why they're promoting a brand that they seem destined to abandon.

I bet Fox would tell NASCAR to tell Scott Speed and his team to remove the Dish logos from the car if they want to be seen on Fox.

This isn't the first time a race car has been forced to censored it's main sponsor's logo by going logo free for the main sponsor. In 2007, shorty after AT&T Wireless and Cingular merged, Sprint/Nextel forced the #31 car of Jeff Burton to remove the AT&T logos from the #31 car as before the Cingular/AT&T merger, Cingular was the main sponsor of the race car. Sprint had a clause where NASCAR teams in the Cup Series can't be sponsored by AT&T or Verizon or any cell phone company that wasn't sponsoring an NASCAR race-car pre-Nextel/Sprint merger. Alltel was grandfathered into this rule as in they got to keep their sponsorship of the #12 car then driven by Ryan Newman. as well as Cingular Wireless was grandfather in before they merged with AT&T. Their was a legal case over it and AT&T won the legal case and got a judge's approval to get the AT&T logos on the #31 car until AT&T announced that they were leaving NASCAR due to Sprint's exclusivity to the Cup series as they are the series main sponsor. And then after Ryan Newman left the #12 car and Alltel got bought out by Verizon, the #12 car had Verizon sponsorship with the Verizon check line logo with no Verizon Wireless name on the car. while at the same time, in the Nationwide Series, they sponsored another car owned by Penske Racing, which owned the #12 car in the Cup Series. however, after the 2010 season, Verizon pulled out of NASCAR all together too due to Sprint's strong hold on that exclusivity deal of theirs with NASCAR.

After what happened at Daytona today in the Nationwide race, I suspect that there will be a lot viewers for the 500. Hope no one in the stands was seriously hurt, but I'm pretty sure I saw a tire head up into the stands.

After what happened at Daytona today in the Nationwide race, I suspect that there will be a lot viewers for the 500. Hope no one in the stands was seriously hurt, but I'm pretty sure I saw a tire head up into the stands.

The tire, front suspension still attached, AND the engine, but looked like both fell just inside the fence. Pretty crazy the angle the car hit the fence. Once the car came to rest in the infield, pretty much the entire front end pas the windshield was gone.

Glad to see Tony win, but was a pretty somber scene following that mess.

At the end I saw the engine and a tire still tangled up in the fence.