Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Originally I signed up for the Smart Car waiting list. But safety concerns, wife opposition, and the nagging feeling that a super economy car shouldn't require premium fuel drove me away from that choice. Bit of the story in the "Smart Car?" thread.

Signed up for the diesel Jetta waiting list on June 27th. Was informed today I can pick it up tomorrow. Good thing I signed when I did- they're getting even fewer diesel Jettas this year than they were previously told. They are, however, charging about $3,500 over sticker. About $28,800 total, all fees, taxes, etc included.

BTW, this diesel Jetta w/automatic has EPA figures of 29/40, which the gov't admits is too low. An independent company, AMCI, puts the correct figures at 38/44. The Smart Car has EPA figures of 33/41. Doing the math, and considering safety and utility, expected vehicle lifespan, how equipped, and probable residual value, the choice is easy. Actually getting your hands on either vehicle in the near future is the problem.

Highlights of how equipped:

-Black with beige interior
-16" alloy wheels
-6 speed DSG tiptronic automatic
-Premium VII AM/FM radio with in-dash 6-disc CD Changer, RDS, MP3 format readable, Sirius satellite radio, 10 speakers, theft-deterrent warning light and coding system, and speed sensitive volume. Controls on steering wheel.
-Powered, heated, folding, turn signal equipped side mirrors.
-a/c
-sunroof
-cruise control
-power windows
-power trunk release
-keyfob remote access
-refrigerated/cooled glove box
-3 12v outlets
-1 115v outlet
-variable speed wipers with heating jets
-rear defroster
-compass
-trip computer/odometer
-low tire pressure warning system
-ABS
-6 air bags
-6 way driver & passenger seats

Oh, BTW: All routine maintenance is included for the first 3 years/36,000 miles.

I'm not much of a radio listener, but perhaps Sirius will change my mind. I have a strong distaste for commercials, even the ones on PBS, and find that too few of the songs they play interest me. But I'll certainly be looking forward to better traffic and weather reports.

I'll post if anything interesting happens for delivery, and actual mpg if there's any interest.

If your a top 40 kind of music fan then you wont like sirius that much as they play a large amount of non top 40 stuff and b sides. I'd go with the jetta as well over the smart car for the same concerns that your wife and you have but Im wondering why the smaller shipment of the diesels to the states at a time when theres a growing interest in diesel and its various flavours.

If your a top 40 kind of music fan then you wont like sirius that much as they play a large amount of non top 40 stuff and b sides.
I can't say I agree with that. There's plenty of the songs/channels you've heard over and over and over and over again. I however, like the not so mainstream stuff from years past.

Picked it up today with 30 miles on it. Very nice. 115v plug at rear of center console will come in handy. For this car, I'll have to read the manual. Gotta learn Sirius and how certain things work. I did, however, find the Sirius station with local traffic and weather (152). First impression- very solidly built. Not a car you'll float down the road in. Definitely does not sound like a diesel. Electric brakes and steering. No hydraulics. No tranny dipstick, either. Only levels to check are oil, coolant and washer fluid.

And BTW, there is no wait before starting the engine for a coil or glow plugs to warm up. Always ready to start immediately, just like gasser. They asked me to report my real world mileage figures. I will.

Sales Critter was full of- ah, "misinformed." Brakes are hydraulic, not electric.

Sales Critter was full of- ah, "misinformed." Brakes are hydraulic, not electric.

I was wondering about that. Federal law mandates hydraulic brakes, and even if electric were better (doubtful) they would have to get a waiver.

Ford just unveiled a diesel Fiesta in the UK that gets 63.5 mpg and 110 top speed. We might see this here in about two years. By the way, all hybrids have electric brakes (regenerative) with hydraulic backup.

He may have meant electric power assisted brakes. Power brake are usually vacuum or hydraulic assisted brakes. Some of the newer cars have hydraulic assisted brakes where the hydraulic pressure is generated by an electric pump instead of the power steering pump.

Did the brake fluid reservoir give it away? :)

:up :p He stopped me from looking there, saying there wasn't one. Crowded under that hood.

He said the only fluids to watch were radiator, oil & washer fluid. No transmission dip stick. Well, I'm not going to take his word on that, I think I'll look/ask around.

:up :p He stopped me from looking there, saying there wasn't one. Crowded under that hood.

He said the only fluids to watch were radiator, oil & washer fluid. No transmission dip stick. Well, I'm not going to take his word on that, I think I'll look/ask around.

Obviously, he left out the K-Y, but I gets that's technically not a fluid. :D

Hey congrats! I'm glad dealers here aren't charging $3.5k over sticker, but perhaps they will if the demand keeps up. I've decided to sit out a few more months and hopefully in the new year there will be more TDI Sportwagens out there (need the wagon, not the sedan).

VW also has a habit of releasing new features mid-year, so I'm thinking that there might be some better options available (like an SEL-TDI package or a factory as opposed to dealer-installed blue-tooth option).

In the meantime enjoy your diesel! I've seen people reporting real-world figures of around 50mpg highway, which sounds plausible.

CDH.

Ford just unveiled a diesel Fiesta in the UK that gets 63.5 mpg and 110 top speed. We might see this here in about two years. By the way, all hybrids have electric brakes (regenerative) with hydraulic backup.

Are those US or Imperial gallons? Either way is good - but, not to be a pessimist, I'll bet its Imperial gallons unless it is a stripped down version similar to the VW diesel Polo bluemotion which actually gets 70mpg (imperial)... but to get that you lose the radio, the sound insulation.... you get the picture. 63mpg Imperial is about 50mpg US.

I'd love to see more manufacturers start selling diesels here. There are rumors of Nissan and Honda (or at least Acura), and possibly Audi.

CDH.

First, the sales critter was wrong on another point, too. There is a "coil" image on startup. It's just so warm now there's no wait. I'll bet there will be a wait in December. On my truck it's never more than 30 seconds, usually a lot less. I'll bet this car will be even quicker to warm up to start.

The "Hi-Line" instrument display is nice. Not sure I'd pay a lot extra for it, though. The 115v outlet is nice for our laptop. The front cupholders are too small to take a can in one of those insulated wrap arounds. The sunglasses holder is a might small for my glasses. The "cooled glove compartment" is not really cooled. It has an a/c outlet in it. Certainly does not keep it cool enough to keep a soda or sandwich cool. There is a pass thru from rear seat to trunk, or you can fold down the whole rear seat. The sun roof operates snappily.

35.5 mpg on the first tankful. Assuming it was really topped off when I got it. I figure I'll be filling it up every 3-4 weeks. I've got about 550 miles on it now, went out of town over the weekend.

Finding out that I really like Sirius, esp the Traf/Wx, BBC, Classical Vinyl, Blue Collar Comedy, 60s & 70s. Surprised even more that my wife really likes it.

I'm hearing these things will be in short supply until the US factory opens in 2010.

The 115v outlet is nice for our laptop..

My wife's Matrix has an 115v outlet in the dash, as well. It's rated pretty low, current wise. I told her not to plug anything other than her cell phone or ipod charger into it.

Of course, I get a call from her telling me she plugged her curling iron into it and it isn't working :rolleyes:.

150W, IIRC.

Curling iron, huh? Driving at the time? ;)

I wish I knew if it was square, stepped or modified sine. I'm sure it's not a real sine wave.

150W, IIRC.

Curling iron, huh? Driving at the time? ;)

Unfortunately, probably... at least she didn't try plugging an 1800 watt blow dryer in.... yet. Ours is stamped 150 watts on the outlet cover. Right next to the outlet itself, there is a push button on the dash to enable the outlet. Drawing too much current on hers just turns the outlet back off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)