Difference between 250 + HD & Turbo HD?

Iceman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Georgia
I have read all over Dish Network's website and here until my eyes bled, and I can't find the answer to a simple question?
What is the difference between what I currently have which is the 250 + locals + HD compared to Turbo HD, OTHER than the 1080p PPV channel? Is the 1080p PPV channel the only difference? They way I read it, it I switched to Turbo HD, I would lose all of my SD channels, correct? I just don't see the positives in changing. Can someone explain please?

I have read all over Dish Network's website and here until my eyes bled, and I can't find the answer to a simple question?
What is the difference between what I currently have which is the 250 + locals + HD compared to Turbo HD, OTHER than the 1080p PPV channel? Is the 1080p PPV channel the only difference? They way I read it, it I switched to Turbo HD, I would lose all of my SD channels, correct? I just don't see the positives in changing. Can someone explain please?
should be no difference. I have the 200 + locals+ HD and i logged into my account online and checked my programming and it said i had the Silver Turbo HD. And I received the L610 software update on Monday. Now I am just waiting for I am Legend.

I believe that if you switched to,say, Turbo Platinum HD, then you would probably not get any HD channels that you don't already get with your 250 + HD channels (assuming you get channels like MGM and Smithsonian already, these are HDs without SD equivalents). However you would indeed lose any SDs without an HD equivalent, for instance Comedy Central, Nick, BBC America, etc... So the only advantage for someone in your situation to go the the HD only at this point would be to save some $$$ on your bill (which is exactly what I did 2 weeks ago); but if you like your SDs, stay where you're at until Dish finishes fleshing out its HD lineup later this year. :up

I'm following all this with interest. I guess I'm a "Silver Turbo HD" sub. now, based on the above. All of my locals are presently SD only, but for as much as I watch them now (basically only evening news and some local sport events) I probably wouldn't really miss them. But there are a couple of SD channels that I would really miss, notably TruTV, Fox News, and IFC. Anyone here know if any of those is likely to go HD with Dish anytime soon ??

I'm following all this with interest. I guess I'm a "Silver Turbo HD" sub. now, based on the above. All of my locals are presently SD only, but for as much as I watch them now (basically only evening news and some local sport events) I probably wouldn't really miss them. But there are a couple of SD channels that I would really miss, notably TruTV, Fox News, and IFC. Anyone here know if any of those is likely to go HD with Dish anytime soon ??

You can keep your locals with a TurboHD package, HD or otherwise (my Champaign/Decatur, IL locals are SD only with Dish). As for those other channels, I believe TruTV and IFC aren't broadcast in HD yet (Wikipedia says "coming soon"), and Fox News will probably take awhile, otherwise we'd also have Fox Business HD and FX HD.

Tks for the info. I'll probably stick it out for awhile then with my current package so as not to lose those SDs I mentioned. When my 211 upgrade deal expires in a couple of months and the bill goes up $10 I might reconsider...

Tks for the info. I'll probably stick it out for awhile then with my current package so as not to lose those SDs I mentioned. When my 211 upgrade deal expires in a couple of months and the bill goes up $10 I might reconsider...
FWIW present Dish subscribers can't switch to any of the TurboHD (only) packages now anyway. Maybe Feb 1st.

Talon Dancer

FWIW present Dish subscribers can't switch to any of the TurboHD (only) packages now anyway. Maybe Feb 1st.

Talon Dancer

Yeah, I keep hearing about that. Kind of a shame that they would do that, but soon just about every popular SD is going to have an HD equivalent so why wouldn't people switch to the cheaper-yet-better service? Of course E* feels like they need to block that from happening. You can't go and do things that make your customers happy or anything, that might be too good for business, *eyeroll*.

You can keep your locals with a TurboHD package, HD or otherwise (my Champaign/Decatur, IL locals are SD only with Dish). As for those other channels, I believe TruTV and IFC aren't broadcast in HD yet (Wikipedia says "coming soon"), and Fox News will probably take awhile, otherwise we'd also have Fox Business HD and FX HD.

IFC is available in HD. However, only Cablevision (and maybe Charter) carries it.

Cable Added New Hd Channels Early - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

For those of you with the HD only packs (Turbo HD/Absolute), do you still get the equivalent SD channel for the stretch-o-visions--e.g. Food Network, TBS, A&E, Lifetime, etc? It's not always easy to unstretch those.

It's hit and miss. I do get SD Food Network, but not SD Lifetime, for instance. I would make a list, but I'm not at home so I don't know all the chans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)