Difference between 5-sat dishes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
What is the difference between AU-9 and AT-9? I see they both pick up the 3 main birds and the 2 supplimental ones.

Also, what happens when D* launches new birds as planned? Will they be moving into the same slots? Or, will D* subs need an upgraded dish, or even multi dishes like E* to pick up the new birds?

The AU-9 is the "Slimline" which is more of an elliptical shape. The AT-9 was more like a square with rounded edges. The AT-9 had two separate LNBF assemblies that were connected by cables. The AU-9 has all the LNBFs in one centered housing. It's is also lighter (25 lbs instead of 32).
The new satellites will be co-located with the existing ones, so another dish should not be necessary.

charper1 is correct, both the new dishes need a 2in OD pole....

Just because the Superdish pipe adapter is 12" in length does not necessarily mean it has to extend all 12" above your current mast. In fact, when I slipped it over my existing 1 5/8" mast I left just enough space at the top to mount my Slimline unit. Works great.

Actually, it's a mast. But, it is a special mast from Winegard that is quite a bit longer than the standard ones that come with a dbs or fta dish. I needed it to get the fta dish site line above my roofline. However, I'm thinking of 86ing the fta, and just putting an AT-9 there if I switch to D*.

I won't be switching until they add more HD, and get more bugs out of the HR20, so it'll be a while anyway, if at all. (U-Verse has come to town, as well.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)