Difference between 622 and 722?

cruzmisl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Hi All,
Aside from more storage and different OTA tuner what are the other differences? I'm thinking of upgrading and moving my 622 to my basement TV and using the 722 as my main.
Thanks,
Joe

The ota tuner on the 722 is the same.

Different disk size.

Different decode chip. The chip in the one in the 622 does mpeg2/mpeg4 and was suppose to do VC1. The VC1 decoding didn't work. Because of this change the 722 receivers more Video on Demand (dowloaded material) in HD then the 622. The 622 usually only having the one 1080P movie a month, while pretty much all of the other is in HD on the 722, but SD on the 622.

Note the new 722K is of course a log different than the 722. And the 922 is suppose to be coming soon.

622 /silver/ 30 hrs of hd/ 1 ota tuner
722 /black/55 hrs of hd/1 ota tuner
722k/black/55 hrs of hd/2 ota tuner with ota tuner module sold seperately.
922s/black/? hrs of hd /2 ota tuner with ota tuner module sold seperately.

I don't know for sure how many hours of recording on the 922s but it will have 1 tb of hard drive and it will allow 500gb for DISH use and 500gb for the customer.

Sounds like the 722K is the one I want. Extra tuners are always nice. Any problems with them?

Sounds like the 722K is the one I want. Extra tuners are always nice. Any problems with them?

The only difference I have noticed is a 5- point difference between ota tuner 1 & ota tuner 2 on the same ota channel. It was a bigger problem when the 722k was first released and it caused drop outs and pixelation on some channels while recording. But since the latest software update the strength on both ota tuners has become more in line with the single ota tuners in the 722 & 622 dvrs. It is more consistent and I haven't noticed any more drop outs or pixelation ,unless the channel itself is breaking up at the station.

Strength- Tuner 1/2-network-digital channel

74/70 - ABC - 12.1 main channel
74/70 - NBC - 12.2 sub channel
86/84 - CBS- 6.1 main channel
86/84 -Cw - 6.2 sub channel
78/73 -Fox - 4.1 main channel

*** Oh, but one piece of advice. If you do get the 722k , first let the receiver download the latest software first ,before you add the ota module. It is recommended and if not followed you will see problems. I did it the wrong way and had to pull the ota module back out and reinstall it to get it to work correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)