Difference between H3 and joeys?

tiger73

Original poster
Oct 14, 2017
Texas
I am in the process of switching to Dish for the first time. Does it matter which room the H3 goes in? Obviously the H3 has all the recordings but from the perspective of the person in front of the TV are there any features that you only have access to on the TV connected to the Hopper?

I am in the process of switching to Dish for the first time. Does it matter which room the H3 goes in? Obviously the H3 has all the recordings but from the perspective of the person in front of the TV are there any features that you only have access to on the TV connected to the Hopper?

The 2 biggest things that come to mind that a Hopper 3 can do and Joeys can't are:

1) PIP and MultiView, which is 4 things on screen at the same time.
2) The Youtube App.

The Hopper 3 is also much faster than the Joeys.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Depends on the Joey. Joey 2.0s are much slower than the hopper.. so there will be a difference. If you opt for Joey 4Ks, there’s no difference in speed between them and the Hopper 3. There are some functional difference however.. Hopper 3 does multiview, YouTube etc. which the Joeys don’t do. Other than that, functionality is pretty much the same. Speed is the main difference IMO. Get the 4K Joeys even if you don’t have a 4K TV. Worth the 50 bucks but YMMV.

Sorry, yes, they are all 4k joeys with the exception of one wireless joey but the wireless one is going in an infrequently used room.

Sorry, yes, they are all 4k joeys with the exception of one wireless joey but the wireless one is going in an infrequently used room.

Then you won’t be able to tell which is which.. At least with the 4KJoeys. I don’t have a wireless Joey but from what I hear, they are slightly faster than a Joey 2.0.

Reactions: HipKat
Then you won’t be able to tell which is which.. At least with the 4KJoeys. I don’t have a wireless Joey but from what I hear, they are slightly faster than a Joey 2.0.
...which kind've makes sense since the signal from Hopper to WAP is via a short Ethernet cable, then wireless to the Joey as per a wired Joey, where the signal is multiplexed back through the hub/node and then to the Joey. I'd be interested to see if the broadcast delay is less between Hopper and WiFi joey than it is with a Hopper and wired Joey and also the delay between a Hooper and Wifi Joey with a relocated WAP/Hic combination

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts