Different DSR410 models?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SATire

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Twin Cities
Are there different DSR410 models? I've seen folks mention s-video ports in threads but mine only has composite.

I want to get the best picture I can get from my W5 service but all I have is composite which ain't great on an HD tv.

My DSR 405 has S video out, so does my 922. I don't think 410's have S. The composite out on the 4DTV and 410 gives a very decent picture. If it don't look good you need to look at your cables or see if the scaler in you HDTV is crap. My Sharp Aquos scaler does a good job converting to 1080p native from 480i.

The only difference between composite and S is with S.Y luminescence (brightness) and C chroma (3.58mhz color burst are separate). If you have a good digital comb filter in your HDTV you will get no dot crawl at all using composite. I have quite a few composite sources on my HDTV and I see no dot crawl even on test patterns using it.

Last edited:
I've never seen a 410 with S-video out. It's all 480 SD anyway so you've only got so much (or little) quality to begin with. :eek:
Not much visible difference between S and composite video.

The video amp that GI used is top notch the DSR's really put out a fine signal composite or S. I never seen a 410 with S out.

I'd like to take this question a step further and ask about the digital audio output on some of the 410's. Will this port output audio from all channels or just channels with digital audio? I'm wanting to replace my older gen 410 that only has stereo audio ports for one with the coaxial digital audio. Is it worth it since I have a good Yamaha audio receiver to process the audio? I need all I can get if I'm going to shut off my Pizza and live off strictly H2H.

>My DSR 405 has S video out, so does my 922. I don't think 410's have S.
>The composite out on the 4DTV and 410 gives a very decent picture.
>If it don't look good you need to look at your cables or see if the scaler in you HDTV is crap.
>My Sharp Aquos scaler does a good job converting to 1080p native from 480i.

Ok, I see below as well that there are in fact two versions. Just wondered because I thought my previous unit had an s-video port.
Nothing wrong with the TV, it runs everything I've thrown at it to date, it's that I'm putting together a new setup in how I'm getting HD to other areas of the house.

>The only difference between composite and S is with S.Y luminescence (brightness) and C chroma (3.58mhz color burst are separate).

The separate signals are a better input for the switch I'm using. Though, I don't know for sure since visually, it's never made much difference.
I've got all of my sources running through an extron system 7sc as a switcher in the basement for a final output of component which I'm able to extend to an HD TV via CAT5 in another area of the house. Just trying to get the best signals I can with the stuff I've got from past projects. I never saw anything about HD channels on 4DTV either so assumed there aren't any.

>so does my 922.

Speaking of which, I've asked about this before but have forgotten since. The 922, it's main claim to fame is that it can pick up 4DTV (W5) but also has FTA capabilities right? I think I remember that it doesn't have any blind scan type functions but does motor directly connected. Oh, and with a sidecar, decodes HD and AC3 on FTA.

Is that correct?

The 4DTV models would allow you to subscribe to (at the time) channels from across the arc (various satellites) instead of just W5 (and previously X4 which was 99W KU)
There were 3 models

The 920 was the original and can decode 2 symbol rates 19510 & 29270 which most 4DTV was at the time
The 922 can decode all symbol rates (there is 5 or 6 now) out there and had some other options like S-Video and timers
The 905 was considered a "sidecar" and works the same as the 922 but did not move a dish. You hooked this up to an analog receiver which moved the dish

The 4DTV could not scan like a FTA receiver can so you were limited to specific frequencies/symbol rate combinations.

The 4DTV could not scan like a FTA receiver can so you were limited to specific frequencies/symbol rate combinations.

The 4DTV actually when it finds a DC-2 signal and locks goes through all the SR/FEC combinations in memory to decode the picture, sometimes it can take a few minutes for a weird SR/FEC but if it can it will lock and work. You can also enter in a manual freq, SR/FEC and lock but it won't show video. I wonder if we can uncover how to open the video with the dumps were pulling out of the receivers and make a patch for that. Have to give that suggestion the head of programming on Map Master. :)

The 410 is fixed on one sat (W5)
The 922 can move a dish (so no G/V-Box needed) and can still get analog programming on the few sats left that have analog

That's what it was, the 922 has motor control built in.
There are update instructions for these on skyvision and I seem to recall these work with W5 as well.
I think when I was looking around, there weren't many W5 like services around and that the 92* series were mostly being used by folks who still subscribed to some BUD based programming.

I don't know, this is all part time to me so too often forget some of the things I've asked about.

The composite out on the 4DTV and 410 gives a very decent picture. My Sharp Aquos scaler does a good job converting to 1080p native from 480i.

Just looking over threads this morning, know this is older, but....my 2 cents worth:

I just helped a friend install his first FTA and 410 system. He runs his composite video through an up-scaling home theatre receiver, and it looks EXCELLENT on his large flat screen. If you're able to do that, I'd challenge even the most critical viewer to know it's not "real" HD. The quality coming out of the 410's (as many have stated in these forums is better than average! )

I noticed the DSR's video is hot when I got my 922 originally, not dull at all. It's definitely up there. My DirecTv's video lacked that snap so I built a S video buffer amp using my HFM (High Frequency Multiplying Technology) that I use in my VQES design. It allowed Direct some snap and made it more pleasing to my eye. Pretty sad that I have to build special amps to make Direct acceptable to watch. My 922 and 405 run in their stock state and still look better, but then again Directs video to start with is subpar. You can only do so much with a 480i X 480i overcompressed signal.

I have the switcher extended using Component over Ethernet to the TV upstairs.
While come might argue 'there's the problem', other Components signals coming into the TV are very clear and hi-res.
Could be I have another problem unit or could be something else, don't know at the moment.

Does anyone have any comment on my audio question of the 410's on the first page of this thread? Wondering about the digital audio port on some of the 410's and if it outputs digital audio from all channels where its available and stereo audio where its not...

The 410's digital audio out is the same as the 922 it will feed to a surround receiver with PCM or DD 5.1.

never even thought about hooking up the yellow white red cable just ran it on channel 3 , just hooked it up with the cables and man what a difference in picture

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)