Different receiver, now no HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

clueless60

Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
USA
Hello all,

I have a setup using a 3-LNB dish that had connected my older HD DVR and HD receiver to my home. I recently changed out the older HD DVR for a HR-500 DVR that was originally set up with a SWM system. After moving the box to my location with the 3-LNB and running the appropriate dish setup, I am only able to get SD channels. I chose the exact same dish to set up that the older HD DVR had and can't seem to find any other obvious settings that would enable the HD channels.

Is there an easy fix to get my HD channels to show up? The dish is definitely pointed appropriately because I can plug up my older HD DVR and see my HD channels with no problem.

Thanks in advance!

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

I'm guessing your new setup isn't a swm type. If so, you need to install bbcs in line behind the dvr on each cable.

I have tried both with and without BBC's. The satellite setup menu gave me a yellow triangle with an exclamation point inside that said "Do not install B-Band Converters". I'm not sure why it said that, but I still did not get HDs when hooking up either with or without BBCs.

I have tried both with and without BBC's. The satellite setup menu gave me a yellow triangle with an exclamation point inside that said "Do not install B-Band Converters". I'm not sure why it said that, but I still did not get HDs when hooking up either with or without BBCs.

If you have a HR23,you don't need B-Band Converters. You were not specific about what kind of HD DVR you had,you only said "HR-500."

The main concern has to be what dish and LNB assembly is in place.

Using vague terms like "older" and not giving accurate model numbers is an invitation to much speculation but little in the way of answers.

what model receiver is it?

Also on the dish is there more than one line coming from the dish inside the house?

I apologize for the vague information. The new receiver that isnt displaying HD channels is an HR24-500. I do not know the model of the older receiver. The dish is a 3-LNB that has 2 lines run to the room containing the HD DVR and 1 line running to the room containing the HD receiver.

ok that info helps immensely

The dish is the "older style" (non SWM). The issue is the HR24 needs the BBC connectors on the back of the tuners to get the HD channels. In your dish setup its slimline 3 LNB but you need to get the BBC connectors (need 2 of them...one for each tuner). You can get them on Ebay or call Directv and maybe they can send you some

They look like this

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!ioE2LQFFV4OBNwvY,w2bQ~~0_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqJ,!ioE2LQFFV4OBNwvY,w2bQ~~0_12.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 160
I actually have 2 BBC connectors. I have tried the dish setup with those both connected and not connected. Each time I only saw the SD channels. :confused:

They are required on the HR24

try and redo the satellite setup
Menu, then setup, satellite setup, rerun satellite setup) and make sure those are on 1st. Then try slimline 3 LNB and it should work. You mentioned it was on a SWM setup but that has to be changed for it to work (SWM setups dont need the BBC's)

I will try to re-run the setup again when I get home with the BBCs attached, although this didn't work the first time I tried it that way.

The satellite dish type that was programmed to my previous receiver was "3-LNB 18x20". It was installed in 2005 if that means anything to you.

ok now we have a issue....that dish is only for SD programming. It wont get HD

You need a slimline dish which is larger and has the correct LNB's for HD

Ok that is very odd. My old receiver was able to get HD channels. Is it possible that it's a slimline but was listed as 3-LNB 18x20? Maybe I should just run the setup as a slimeline 3-LNB and hope it works.

Thank God for you guys...I appreciate all of your input

Ok that is very odd. My old receiver was able to get HD channels. Is it possible that it's a slimline but was listed as 3-LNB 18x20? Maybe I should just run the setup as a slimeline 3-LNB and hope it works.

How long has it been since you got hd channels with that dish? How many pods are there on the dish? If three, are they the same size?

What models were your older equipment?
You may have been getting the MPEG2 HD channels from 119 or 101 on the Phase III.
A lot has changed since '05.
I had the HR10-250 TiVo DVR, but once DirecTV switched HD to the new sats and on MPEG4 it upgraded to the HR20.
So, your new DVR won't get HD with that dish.

Look in the menu, it will tell you what dish it sees in your set up.

Sounds like you need the Slimline dish set up and are using the older ones ... At one time you could get HD from that dish, but that was quite awhile ago, before the MPEG4 stuff started being used.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)