Different volume levels for SD vs. HD

Yragha

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
After nearly a 3 year absence I had Dish come today for a reinstall. I now have the HD channels to go along with the SD ones, but I notice that on almost every HD channel the volume is considerably lower than that of the Standard.

What gives? Kinda annoying really, I have to turn up the volume if I want to hear anything HD but should I forget to turn it down when switching back to SD, geez it sure is sound.

Thanks

After nearly a 3 year absence I had Dish come today for a reinstall. I now have the HD channels to go along with the SD ones, but I notice that on almost every HD channel the volume is considerably lower than that of the Standard.

What gives? Kinda annoying really, I have to turn up the volume if I want to hear anything HD but should I forget to turn it down when switching back to SD, geez it sure is sound.

Thanks

Normally I would believe your audio would be lower on HD channels because alot of HD channels can broadcast 5:1 audio where your SD channels are just stereo.

Dish is supposed to be bringing out this month a sound leveling software upgrade this may help.

Date Certain?

Normally I would believe your audio would be lower on HD channels because alot of HD channels can broadcast 5:1 audio where your SD channels are just stereo.

Dish is supposed to be bringing out this month a sound leveling software upgrade this may help.

I don't know if they gave us a date certain on when the Volume leveling s/w will be coming down to us.

I, for one, can't wait for this "sound leveling software". Going from HD to SD is quite an experience currently....Im sure my neighbors love hearing it, ha.

You guys really watch that many SD channels these days?

I'm almost not willing to watch SD anymore, unless there is absolutely NOTHING worth watching on any of the HD channels.

-SF

I'm almost not willing to watch SD anymore, unless there is absolutely NOTHING worth watching on any of the HD channels.

-SF

Same Here, I have my guide set to HD ONLY...........the only thing I have watched in SD in some time was ESPNU.

I don't have any problem finding something to watch in HD.

-SF

Its not that I watch SD channels by choice, however my CW and MyNetworkTV Locals are not broadcast in HD.

I agree that most everything I watch is available on an HD channel.

My thing is, how difficult is it really to make the SD channels the same volume as HD channels? I can't imagine this being something that takes this long to resolve, but I guess I could be wrong.

I suspect the sound leveling is intended for commercials and may be of little use otherwise. We should find out soon enough.

I suspect the sound leveling is intended for commercials and may be of little use otherwise. We should find out soon enough.

That is interesting, on my previous main tv which was a sony the commercials would blast extremely louder than the programming content.
When I purchased the Mitsubushi I found out it had sound leveling software which is for commercials and with it enabled there is no longer the loud commercials compared to programming.

But..........the SD and the HD are still at different levels, so if what you are suggesting is correct the sound leveling DISH is going to implement may not help between SD and HD?

I just hope this (Dolby Volume) is a feature that can be either enabled or disabled. I for one would not use it.

S~

Thanks

It's strictly do to the greater dynamic range of dolby 5.1.Standadr PCM stereo has less dynamic range so it sounds louder. Dvd's have the same problem if you call it a problem. so basically there's nothing wrong with E* or your system. Some tv's have an adjustment thought that decreases the dynamic range by compressing the signal. This makes the difference between loud and soft passages being almost the same. In doing this you won't haeat the big volume swing you complain of, but on the negative it decreases the fidelity and accuracy of the sound tack for it was meant to have large diffences between soft and loud passages.

Hope that answers your question.

ron

I hope it can be enabled or disabled as well.

Does anyone know if this will be a menu item that can be accessed and disabled?

:confused:

Disable it and as any audiophile will tell you is that you waisted your money buying a Dolby 5.1 or better surrond system. The idea is to hear the quiet chirping of the birds in the forrest followed by the large explosions created by cannons. Doing what you want to do and the birds will be as loud as the cannons , or the cannons will be as quiet as the birds. e.g. stupid.

Ron

I own a 42 and 46 LCD HDTV. One from Best Buy (Dynex) and one a Sony and IMO SD picture quality from the 722k sucks using HDMI and coaxial.

Maybe it's because these are HD tv's and SD on a Standard TV would solve this "OR" is it that Dish is trying to squeeze so many channels on a transponder or whatever.

I'm not into the lingo much but I swear up and down the picture quality was better five years ago when I last had this service on my SD televisions.

And to answer a poster question, I watch alot of SD cause TVLand is not available in HD (yet) along with some others and I can't see paying $10 extra for HD, at least not as it stands right now.

I got Dish not because of their excellent customer service :cool: but because they are less expensive than Directv and offer IMO about the same if not better equipment. They are leaps and bounds above what Comcrap offers here and while AT&T UVerse isn't bad, the music channels suck and they don't offer CBS College Sports either.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts