Digicypher free to air channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cathyig

Original poster
Jun 23, 2006
I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me. I was reading on the internet that if you have a star choice receiver that has been activated at one time or another that it will pick up the digicypher free to air channels without having to subscribe to star choice. Is this true and if so, what type of LNBF would you need.
Cathyig

the other previously subbed boxes will get the free channels on AnikF1

Access
Knowledge
U of Alberta radio

Are you saying that the previous sub boxes DSR 421,and 401 and 305 will only give me the AnikF1 digicypher 2 fta channels. The dish is motorized and can pick up all of the satellites and I wanted to pick up Georgia public tv, Louisianna public tv, and the other digicypher 2 fta channels on the ku band satellites.

The boxes do not have transponder and satellite info for the other satellites, which is why it only works on Anik F1.

fta

So the star choice boxes are designed for the canadian channels and won't pick up any other satellite channels, but the 921 model which is not a star choice box will pick up the other digicypher 2 fta channels. are there any other models that would that aren't star choice receivers.

in order to receive stuff on other satellites beside the Canadian birds you would need to use a DSR 905, any commercial Motorola DSR XXXX, also Digitrans, and Terayon are neat but they are commercial receivers as well and a little pricey. note the DSR 905 doesn't have the TDT overflow issue if tuned to F1 and F2 like the DSR 920 & 922 would if tuned there, which then would require a master reset and start all over.

cathyig said:
So the star choice boxes are designed for the canadian channels and won't pick up any other satellite channels, but the 921 model which is not a star choice box will pick up the other digicypher 2 fta channels. are there any other models that would that aren't star choice receivers.

no SC boxes even the DSR 921, will not tune other DC II feeds. DSR 921 is a SC box as well and will have some issues tuning off of the Canadian birds.

BTW :welcome :wave

Last edited by a moderator:
cablewithaview said:
in order to receive stuff on other satellites beside the Canadian birds you would need to use a DSR 905, any commercial Motorola DSR XXXX, also Digitrans, and Terayon are neat but they are commercial receivers as well and a little pricey. note the DSR 905 doesn't have the TDT overflow issue if tuned to F1 and F2 like the DSR 920 & 922 would if tuned there, which then would require a master reset and start all over.

BTW :welcome :wave

Will any of the above mentioned receivers also tune in reg C/KU analog feeds?

The StarChoice 921 box will receive the signals from X4 when they are in the free mode. I have a few tapes of the older Tarzan movies when AMC was on a free preview.

Larry1 said:
The StarChoice 921 box will receive the signals from X4 when they are in the free mode. I have a few tapes of the older Tarzan movies when AMC was on a free preview.

as long as you stay away from the maps and all for the DSR 920 and 922, you will be ok.

Just a heads up on the free channels on AnikF1

hopefully the box wasn't on SC basic package, digital basic. I just cancelled my sub and had Digital Basic on it. I get some of the channels free but the others not. When you have digital basic, the channels in 300-399 that you don't subscribe to they completelly nuke out of the box (US Nets exception)

stuff that I don't get free (but would if I had at least the essentials when I cancelled)
Knowledge
Ontario Leg
Access
CKUA
BC Leg

Stuff I do get
Preview channels (200, 260, 299, 402, 530)

Stuff that lyngsat says is free and isnt
Sex TV (freeview ended for subs)
Drive In Classics (freeview ended for subs)
Christian Channel (I have thaqt in package but doesn't show up)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts