Digital ATSC RF Modulator

Spin

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 28, 2004
State of Confusion
Ok guys, i figured if anyone may know the answer to my question it would be you guys.

I have 4 HD Tivos with D* and I want to be able to view them on any of my 5 HDTVs in the house. So I was wondering if there is any available 4 channel ATSC Modulators available or something that could make this work. All the TVs have a tuner so i figured it would be easiest to set up like I did with the old RF systems I've used before. Price isn't really a problem if it's like a couple of thousand dollars not a problem. I just want all tvs to access all 4 tivos in HD.

probably a long way off since atsc doesn't offer have copy protection. If it had component inputs it would need to be able to encode hd quality mpeg2.

It did exist once though as the Dish 5000 HD modulator.

You cant modulate and get HD picture, your best bet is to house all HD rcvrs in 1 location and get a video switcher (ELAN v-883) you can switch any video source (hd tivo) to any location, so long as you have a set of component cables from the switcher to each TV.
The v-883 will give you 8 hd inputs and 8 outputs all controllable by ir commands, these are used in centralized rack systems for whole house A/V.

Featuring eight sets of component video inputs and outputs, the V883 lets users stream all of their component video sources, such as DVD, DVR, satellite TV and more, independently to up to eight different TVs and/or monitors in as many rooms. The V883’s unity gain design and high definition chip set ensures that whatever content is piped into the V883 is delivered to its viewing destination with the exact same quality generated at its source. The V883 also distributes standard composite video from non-component sources such as CCTV cameras and VCRs.

you didn't answer the question

the question wasn't for another way to wire the whole house the question was where do you get a modulator for ATSC best buy has one they send there signals to evey tv via a modulated channel most of them use like 10.1 or 12.1

most of our homes already have the RG6 run to evey room in the house even if the modulator cost $5000 it would be cheaper than buying HDMI cables and running it all to every room in the hose and adding in boosters and wall reconstruction for half the house you would be talking about way more work, money, and potential problems

I too have been looking for somewhere to but what the retail stores have I have several people with VERY large houses and there looking at puting in over 500 feet of cable to get it to every TV more and more of my customers are wanting centeraly located HD recievers and/or pumping the signal to 2-3 HD tv's this gets realy pricy and dificult to do even with cat5e converters your paying alot for the convertion at each end and the spliters are not cheap ether pluse you have more stuff that might break or need ajustments

giving us a simple modulator that you can set to a ATSC channel would be easyer we already have NTSC modulator for standard TV

and we know they can do it dishnetwork's old 5000 model back in the year 2000 had one as an add on so we know they can do it NTSC is modulated all over the place whats the difference changing over to ATSC ??just a HD picture instead of a standard picture

if anyone knows where to get one or at least where to price one out let me know

As previously mentioned, ATSC has no form of copy protection. The MPAA and other organizations that own digital content will not permit a consumer device that takes their content and sends it out "in the clear". Obviously, ATSC modulators exist as TV stations have been using them for years. However, the price point will be such that they will always be too expensive for the average person to think about owning one.

The ATSC modulator that Dish sold as part of the 5000 receiver was a special product that would have limited use other than taking a Dish MPEG-2 transport stream and repackaging it to go over channel 3 or 4.

In-house distribution of HD video is best done via the home LAN. If you can afford multiple HD sources, you should be able to justify putting 1000BaseT in every room... ;)

ATSC RF Modulator

Understanding the problems with protecting digital content, would there be an issue with someone making an ATSC Modulator (preferably frequency agile) that accepted Component Video, and either two channels of analog audio, or SPDIF digital audio?

There are indeed numerous ways to distribute hi-def throughout the home, but placing multiple sources on different ATSC digital channels would be very nice, even if you were limited to Component Video and not HDMI.

Just wondering...:confused:

I have a desire to to RCA to ATSC modulation to distribute the VCR and DVD to the 3 locations in my house. I can see that the item I want is not there, but it sure would be nice if it was. The only alternative that I can think of is to do an RCA to NTSC and send the data to other rooms. But that will require a switch on each TV to bypass the ATSC converter. And this can't be done until the channel 3 and 4 are freed from regular NTSC broadcast in February. And it might not work even then.

I think we'll be seeing ATSC modulators in the next few months. Supposedly ZeeVee has one with component inputs coming in January.

However, that's not going to be the economical or reliable way to do what you want. What you really need is called a matrix switch. You'll need to be able to get either component video (3 coax's) or one cat 5 from the central location to each TV.

There's a ton of matrixes out there, here's a few I'd recommend:

Audio Authority
Audio Authority® - Product Details: AVX-562
Audio Authority® - Product Details: AVX-561-NR

Neothings
NeoPro® - Professional Grade Video Products for Custom Electronics Designers and Installers
NeoPro® - Professional Grade Video Products for Custom Electronics Designers and Installers

probably a long way off since atsc doesn't offer have copy protection. If it had component inputs it would need to be able to encode hd quality mpeg2.

It did exist once though as the Dish 5000 HD modulator.

The 5000's modulator did not have to do a lot of work. Since (at the time) Dish broadcast an MPEG-2 HD bit stream down, all it had to do was convert it to 8-VSB and RF modulate it.

What people really want is something that captures an HD signal over component (or even HDMI) and does real time MPEG-2 compression on it, then does what the 5000's box did.

The key of course is to get an affordable HD MPEG-2 compressor that gives a good result.

The 5000's modulator did not have to do a lot of work. Since (at the time) Dish broadcast an MPEG-2 HD bit stream down, all it had to do was convert it to 8-VSB and RF modulate it.

What people really want is something that captures an HD signal over component (or even HDMI) and does real time MPEG-2 compression on it, then does what the 5000's box did.

The key of course is to get an affordable HD MPEG-2 compressor that gives a good result.

With the processing power of modern video cards it's possible use them as a direct digital rf synthesizer. Analog and Digital TV (DVB-T) Signal Generation

This is mainly about tempest but chapter 3 has examples of RF generation using video cards. http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/techreports/UCAM-CL-TR-577.pdf

I would certainly like to have stand alone module that would take HDMI or componet in and produce the original input signal to 8vsb RF.

Instead of 5 coaxes running from a componet video distribution amp, there would be one RG-6 to each tv tuned to an unused digital channel (example 12.1)

Actually....this is exactly what I would want to do. I have one of these modulators in storage, just hoping that I could find another use for it. What would be cool is to have it work with a prog like Tsreader that can take a DVB feed and remodulate it to a 8VSB channel that almost any TV in the house could view. Or even as a means to distribute a DVD movie throughout the house. This would only require one source PC and really no wiring throughout the house for any room that has coax .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts