Digital ATSC RF Modulator

The $500 for the ZvBox 100 seems a bit steep perhaps, but it's a small market so far. Considering the cost of an HD-PVR (example of real-time MPEG2 encoder) plus the cost of a QAM/ATSC modulator, the zvBox isn't THAT out of line. Compare that to the cost of their 'commercial' version, the zvpro-250, which is basicaly the same thing, rackmounted, with a larger variety of inputs, at $2500, the ZvBox seems like a bargain... The biggest problem I see with the zvBox 100, is that it has no true Audio input. Since it is designed for PC over Coax, it simply has a USB port and acts as a USB Sound Card to get the Audio for the stream. This makes it pretty useless for SatBox -> QAM modulation like most here are looking for.

I'm currently looking at trying to determine the cost benefit of upgrading my hospital's MATV system to HD, as the new sets we are upgrading to are ATSC/QAM compatable, but the cost is still just a BIT too high. For now, we'll probably switch locals over to the raw ATSC feed from an antenna, but as for the sat channels (which right now are NTSC modulated from an array of STB's), it'll have to stay SD. Certainly would like the clean digital signal in house, but right now isn't the time we can justify spending THAT much money on television upgrades.

Last edited:
Yes, You CAN Modulate HD!

You cant modulate and get HD picture...

Uh, wrong, "Death From Above," you CAN modulate and maintain and HD picture! How do you think the airwave broadcasters do it?

But the problem here is that there isn't a consumer-level, single-channel HD ATSC modulator that we've found yet. Right? See, there's a difference.

Ok guys, i figured if anyone may know the answer to my question it would be you guys.

I have 4 HD Tivos with D* and I want to be able to view them on any of my 5 HDTVs in the house. So I was wondering if there is any available 4 channel ATSC Modulators available or something that could make this work. All the TVs have a tuner so i figured it would be easiest to set up like I did with the old RF systems I've used before. Price isn't really a problem if it's like a couple of thousand dollars not a problem. I just want all tvs to access all 4 tivos in HD.

Spin,

One company now has TWO Consumer grade ATSC Video Modulators; Zv Box 100, and Zv Box 150.
The Zv Box 100 only accepts VGA signals and is $399 and modulates to QAM.

The Zv Box 150 takes Component Video and Digital audio and Re-modulates the the Video and Digital Audio to QAM. The Unit accepts VGA or 720p Component signal. This unit is a "Consumer" version and lists for $999.00.

If you want the Professional version it will do 1080i and lists for 2,500, and again it modulates to QAM frequencies.

These modulators are One to one. One modulator for each signal you wish modulate.

Here is the website if you are interested. ZeeVee.com | Distribute HD video over coax ~ commerical, connected home and the Zinc video browser

I was looking around as I was interested in the same thing, although the buy in is too expensive for me at the current time. As more time passes and more companies are looking into re-modulating HD for Hotels, Hospitals etc. I hope to see the buy in price go down.

John

Uh, wrong, "Death From Above," you CAN modulate and maintain and HD picture! How do you think the airwave broadcasters do it?

But the problem here is that there isn't a consumer-level, single-channel HD ATSC modulator that we've found yet. Right? See, there's a difference.

An years has passed -- do we have any single-channel HD ATSC modulator available?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts