digital ATSC signals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
When will VCRs and/or DVD recorders be able to capture the ATSC digital OTA signals? I search all over and see nothing. Don't these manufacturers realize the times will change in 2009 when everything goes digital?

Once OTA is all digital, all these recorders will be OBSELETE!

Last edited:
You still have a VCR?, WOW., Second a DVD recorder will record whatever you put into it, if you have digital cable, or sat you can output those to the recorder, if you have a HD-tuner you can feed that to the recorder. You can record the output from your cam-corder, or playstation or xbox or 8-track, must I go on ?

Ok, your not catching my drift.

I need the recorder to be able to actually "TUNE" the digital OTA channels. Not take a feed from a box or anything.

as long as they can sell a dvd recorder cheaply without, it ain't gonna include an ATSC tuner. The only devices mandated for ATSC tuners are Televisions, and the manufacturers get around that by calling some of them "Monitors"

Now your talking about an HD-DVD recorder, with built-in HD tuner. Slow down , we just got HD-DVD players, it will happen, but not for a WHILE

BTW, the ATSC tuner mandate includes recording devices also ["all interface devices which include a tuner (VCR, DVD player/recorder, DVR) "]. So VCRs are done for- no one wants to pay to redesign and include an ATSC tuner in an obsolete product. DVD recorders, yes, but only in SD. Eventually we will likely see HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray hi def recorders available.

THere are ATSC VCRS noe. They ae in my opinion prohibitively expensive but they do exist.

I too see HDD based options as a MUCH better way to go in the long run; more control and editing capibility; ability to move raw recordings to a PC to produce much better end results, but this is NOT for the lazy or tech challenged.

JVC's HM-DT100U digital VCR lets you receive HD broadcasts and record them on D-VHS tapes.

Panasonic's offerings: released four products with DVD recorders in them, and all of them offering 1080p upscaling over their HDMI inputs, an ATSC tuner, DVD-RAM recording, and their excellent LP mode. The DMR-EZ47V is a DVD recorder/VCR combo, which also offers DivX playback, a FireWire input, and an SD card slot. The DMR-EZ47V will have a list price of $380 when it comes out in May. The DMR-EZ37V is the step-down DVD recorder/VCR combo--which lacks the SD card slot--and will cost $330 when it comes out in April. The DMR-EZ27 is just a DVD recorder and offers essentially the same features as the DMR-EZ47V, minus the VCR. The DMR-EZ27 will be available in May for $280. The DMR-EZ17 is the step-down DVD recorder--which lacks the SD card slot--and will cost $230 when it comes out in April.

LG got in on the DVD recorder with an ATSC tuner game with a couple of DVD recorders as well. There's the RC797T Digital Tuner Super Multi DVD Recorder and VCR--yes, that's the full product name--as well as the DR787T, which is the same as the RC797T without the VCR.

Samsung with the DVD-AVR960 and RCA also rolled out a DVD recorder/VCR with an ATSC tuner, the DRC8335.

Attachments

• CEDIA-JVC-DVHS_big.jpg
    CEDIA-JVC-DVHS_big.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
as long as they can sell a dvd recorder cheaply without, it ain't gonna include an ATSC tuner. The only devices mandated for ATSC tuners are Televisions, and the manufacturers get around that by calling some of them "Monitors"

All the sets I've seen at the store over 25 inches have atsc tuners built in. They could just remove tuners from VCRs and low end dvd recorders, you could still record from video inputs.

I read somewhere that it is mandated that DVD Burners (STB) produced after this month (Mar 07) will have to have the ATSC tuners in them. The article I read said that this was going to kill off the VCR/DVD combo players due to the extra cost associated with producing them with the ATSC tuners. I will check to see if I can find that article again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_tuner

Sorry about digging back up this post. I didn't notice the date on it until I clicked on the "save" button

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)