DVD DL burner w/ATSC, digital TVGOS

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I've started doing some research, which is leading me to Panasonic for the most part. But I thought I'd ask here, as someone may know something that will save me a lot of time. I've gotten some info from the 1st 4 pages of this forum.

I am looking to buy a DVD burner:
- with or without VHS
- with or without HDD
- smooth video action fast fwd/search feature
- fast fwd/search feature must exceed 2X (I actually have a player with only 2 search speeds 1.5X & 2X IIRC)
- records to DL
- records to +/- R/RW
- would be nice if it also recorded and/or played DVD RAM
- built in ATSC tuner
- NTSC tuner not required
- EPS based not on PSIP, but on TVGOS or similar - digital version, not the about to disappear analog version.
- component input would be nice, but not expected, based on other postings

First use will be to archive some stuff off a 508.

Nevermind, it appears there ain't no such animal.

Almost bought the Panasonic 28 on sale at CC, but read of too many h/w failures.

I don't want to carry my current burner from DVR to DVR, but it looks like that's what I'm gonna do.

I was going to say that I've had a Panasonic for the past 2-3 years with NTSC (love it), but I haven't seen any new models with ATSC and TVGOS. I used the Panny to burn recordings from a Dish 622 and Sony HD DVR. My biggest complaint is that it was a manual process...sure wish I would queue up recordings for playback.

Anyway, I briefly used the build-in TVGOS to set recordings using my Mits Diamond and dump them out via firewire to a PC emulating a Mits D-VHS player. It worked pretty well, but I could only record OTA since I didn't have cable service or a cablecard installed, plus the DVRs were so much easier to use.

I have the Panasonic DMR-EZ27. No problems with it, except the menu system is kind of stupid, not intuitive. Records fine. As for multispeed I have YET to see any DVD player or recorder other than Sony that uses smoothscan. Maybe there are others but I aint seen em. The Panasonic has 2x, 5x and 10x and if you're not careful it'll jump to the end of the pgm before you can push plsy