DVD DL burner w/ATSC, digital TVGOS

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I've started doing some research, which is leading me to Panasonic for the most part. But I thought I'd ask here, as someone may know something that will save me a lot of time. I've gotten some info from the 1st 4 pages of this forum.

I am looking to buy a DVD burner:
- with or without VHS
- with or without HDD
- smooth video action fast fwd/search feature
- fast fwd/search feature must exceed 2X (I actually have a player with only 2 search speeds 1.5X & 2X IIRC)
- records to DL
- records to +/- R/RW
- would be nice if it also recorded and/or played DVD RAM
- built in ATSC tuner
- NTSC tuner not required
- EPS based not on PSIP, but on TVGOS or similar - digital version, not the about to disappear analog version.
- component input would be nice, but not expected, based on other postings

First use will be to archive some stuff off a 508.

Nevermind, it appears there ain't no such animal.

Almost bought the Panasonic 28 on sale at CC, but read of too many h/w failures.

I don't want to carry my current burner from DVR to DVR, but it looks like that's what I'm gonna do.

I was going to say that I've had a Panasonic for the past 2-3 years with NTSC (love it), but I haven't seen any new models with ATSC and TVGOS. I used the Panny to burn recordings from a Dish 622 and Sony HD DVR. My biggest complaint is that it was a manual process...sure wish I would queue up recordings for playback.

Anyway, I briefly used the build-in TVGOS to set recordings using my Mits Diamond and dump them out via firewire to a PC emulating a Mits D-VHS player. It worked pretty well, but I could only record OTA since I didn't have cable service or a cablecard installed, plus the DVRs were so much easier to use.

I have the Panasonic DMR-EZ27. No problems with it, except the menu system is kind of stupid, not intuitive. Records fine. As for multispeed I have YET to see any DVD player or recorder other than Sony that uses smoothscan. Maybe there are others but I aint seen em. The Panasonic has 2x, 5x and 10x and if you're not careful it'll jump to the end of the pgm before you can push plsy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)