Digital audio synchronization

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dogstar1313

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Tennessee
Well I finally hooked up my Extigy Dolby Digital decoder to my 3500S to get the digital audio. I initially tested it on the PBS stations on AMC3 and I get audio from the digital output, but it's out of synch with the video (ahead of the video). Next I tried it on Montana PBS which isn't AC3 (as far as I know). On Montana PBS the sound that comes from the TV speaker is in synch with the video, but the sound being passed out the digital output is not synchronized with the video (ahead of the video). What do I have misconfigured to cause this?

Mystery Solved

After racking my brain for several hours I finally figured out why my digital audio coming from the 3500S was about half a second ahead of the video. It turned out to be something simple, as these things usually do.

I have my Svideo and L/R audio outputs from the 3500S routed into my DVD recorder/player inputs and then the Svideo and L/R audio outputs from the DVD recorder/player go to the inputs on the TV. Evidently my DVD recorder buffers the audio and video for about a 1/2 second before it routes it to its outputs and that was causing my digital audio which went straight from the 3500S to the decoder and speakers to be about a 1/2 second ahead of the video. I removed the DVD recorder form the loop and routed the 3500S video straight to the TV and it is now perfectly synchronized with the digital audio.

Too bad my DVD recorder doesn't have a digital audio input. :(

dogstar1313 said:
Too bad my DVD recorder doesn't have a digital audio input. :(

Same problem I have with my Pioneer 220s-no go for anything with AC3. Lucky for me there is still Montana PBS since I like to record "Frontline". Glad you got the problem solved with the Extigy too. :)

Wow! I thought I was the only one with a DVD recorder that didn't have digital audio input. Maybe most of them are this way? Mine has a TOSLink out, you would think the engineer that designed it would go ahead and add a TOSLink input while they were at it, but sadly they did not.

Montana PBS is a great station! It's also the only PBS station I can reliably get on G10R these days. The other ones are fluctuating wildly in quality. They used to be rock solid for me, at least 35% minimum, but not now. Hopefully they don't fizzle out.

I have heard that others are having PBS problems and I'm glad to say I haven't had that problem. But you never know-I had no trouble with G10R until today and now they are all out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)