Digital Breakup on 101 C Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
After installing the PLL LNBF, did you delete all transponders and rescan the satellite? The previously scanned frequencies could be off a few Mhz, This may be enough to throw the 1200's afc to the limit it's capable of locking reliably. With an SR of only 2700 some, it's a pretty skinny signal.
Without rescanning, you may manually shift the TP Freq up or down and find a 'sweet spot'. I'd try 1 Mhz steps to a max of maybe 3 Mhz.

Yeah, I've re-scanned a couple times and even set the receiver back to factory default. I try not to do that if at all possible as I lose the names of the channels I renamed, like the channel in the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

Here's something I just received that may interest you guys:

The problem is with the 4MHZ spacing using that receiver and has nothing to do with your LNBF choice. While the PLL LNBF provides great frequency stability, it is actually the function of the receiver that is causing the problem.

These three channels use the same SID (Service Identification Data), but the VPID (Video Identification Data) and the APID (Audio Identification Data) are the same. This confuses several receivers on the market and they will not play these 3 channels. The receivers automatically fine tune +/- 3-5MHz and lock on the wrong transponder or update to the incorrect VPID/APID. Many receiver distributors have updated the firmware to help address this problem.

You might try deleting two transponders and the and the Decades channel, change the Heroes & Icons transponder from frequency 3953 down to 3951 and change the Movies! transponder from frequency 3961 up to 3963 then rescan these three transponders to see if the receiver can be tricked into playing.

If this does not work, you should check with Satellite AV to see if they have developed a solution. Worst case is that nothing that you can do with this receiver to receive these channels.

Best Regards!
Titanium Satellite - Brian Gohl

I might add that using a channel editor to change the SID to an unused value and/or enter the correct VPID/APID on these three channels (then lock by inputting an unused SID value) will prevent the receiver from automatically overwriting the correct VPID/APID with the incorrect data updated from the adjacent transponder.

This problem is a perfect example of why every STB should be distributed with channel editor software or a user editable database file.

I had an interesting development last evening. Our area was hit with a string of heavy thunderstorms all day yesterday, and my wife unhooked and unplugged everything. When I got home last night, I plugged everything in, turned everything on, and low and behold, MeTV, Decades, Movies and Heroes & Icons were all on, and none of them broke up all night. I don't know if the providers fixed the problem or if the receiver just needed to be idle for a while. I even had a 64-65 signal quality on all of them but MeTV, which came in at 63.

I was surprised to see everything working as if nothing had ever happened. All the signal levels remained steady, with no ups or downs like it was the day before. Hopefully, it will continue to operate as it was last night. Did any of you experience a similar situation?

Yesterday H&I was fine from 3 to 5 ET,don't know about the rest of the day.And as I've said I usually don't have any problems with these channels at night.Also S&Q readings really don't seem to change between day or night either,they just either work or they don't.
By the way,I'm using an AZbox Ultra.

Just spoke to the wife a few minutes ago and so far, everything is still working properly. Hopefully, this was nothing more than a glitch that cleared itself up. I like messing with this sort of thing, but my wife gets a bit testy when she can't watch her programs. :)

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
For me, MeTV SD ALT1 and ALT 2 @ 3973V5924 has been stuttering lately. It had never been a problem before. The others, like Movies! and H&I were strong.

I adjusted my LNB and the biggest thing wasn't any change in signal level, but I went from 6.4 to 7.3 CNR on my meter. When I went in to check the STB, my signal quality was a tiny bit higher but my picture was now rock solid.

It really pays to have a satellite meter - a STB is a poorly equipped tool for tweaking. I just used my cheap FS1.

Last night was good on all the channels. I think I had one little episode of break up that lasted a split second. Other than that, all the other channels worked great. I think leaving everything unplugged for 12 hours or so doesn't hurt. With the storms we've been having, it's not a problem to leave it unhooked. The electric company we have doesn't help either. They have grounds down all over the place, and there are too many on the line we are on. The power will go off and on several times in the course of a day, which left us with no choice other than purchasing line conditioners, battery back-ups and surge outlets.

I am working on a battery bank that will run a true sine wave inverter capable of running several days off the batteries. I've spent a couple thousand dollars trying to deal with their dirty electricity. After putting a line conditioner on my big screen TV, the picture was 50% cleaner, and the ground loops in my CCTV system went away. Now, everything is hooked on line conditioners, including the satellite system. Pretty sad when they charge you each month for power that has to be cleaned up at the customer's expense.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Just chiming in...On my Solid Birdview with the motorized mount, (secondary one doesn't move)...I've had nothing but signal issues on the H&I and the Movies! feeds, MeTV is working but with varying quality. Was beginning to think I had some kind of TI here, but apparently not after reading all these common threads. Had not watched in a few days so I don't know when it began. These have always been "rock steady" here. Count me "in" with those having difficulty on all but "Me"...
I'm not running a PLL C-band (yet) as my Birdview has a c/ku, but I think I'll soon upgrade it. There's not as much I need on Ku, so may go straight PLL C-band. Ku I can get from the fixed dishes.

Reactions: KE4EST
Recorded Mannix from 3 to 5pm Monday,first hour was fine.Shortly after 4 it started acting up and finally my AZ switched H&I to Decades and at that point I just deleted the recording.
Also just looked and H&I and Dec are still not working.

This afternoon, (evening) my signals are strong, the quality is good and very steady, even with heavy clouds and rain on my C-band Birdview... but...the aforementioned channels' video is "skipping" (stuttering?) a bit. Audio is strong. Is it possible that a re-scan is needed? It's almost like some kind of frame dropper is employed, but of course it isn't....Audio not affected.It's good and clear.

Of more confusion is....my MeTV2 feed is playing a different DECADES than the main DECADES feed. Can anyone else tell me if I have a problem, or if things are just moving around? With my system, there's been issues with ghosting of channels in the past we've discussed here before. (3973/5924V 101)
It appears to be feeds for tomorrow, the "Through the Decades" show for Thursday May 5th is on as I write this. Have never seen anything but MeTV promos on this channel, or a slate with audio promos for Me.

Last edited:
Yep,this afternoon H&I was working fine,there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for when it does or doesn't work.
I seem to recall someone mentioning,awhile back, that the ME2 ch was being used for DECADES feeds.

When I retuned the satellite the other day, Movies was working, so was MeTV 1&2 and Decades was working. After retuning, I noticed that H&I didn't work at all, so I deleted H&I and res-canned. Decades came back on, so did MeTV 1&2, with Decades on the alternate feed, The Movies channel cut in and out, but H&I had completely disappeared. I have scanned several time again, both with a blind scan, and without, still no H&I. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Last night, everything but the MeTV feeds were cutting in and out. I recorded two episodes of Hogan's Heroes, an episode of Carol Burnett and Perry Mason without a hitch. Couldn't watch any of the other channels all evening. I have also noticed a touch of this on Galaxy 16 from time to time, but nothing serious. Is anyone in here running a Linkbox 9000i. I was told that this isn't happening with this receiver.

Have you tried changing the SIDs with a channel editor? Verify the VPID, APID and PCR settings are correct, enter an unused SID value, save and write back to the receiver.

Check the VPID/APIDs when the channels are working and compare with the VPID/APIDs when they are not. Likely the PIDs are updating and overwriting the correct service PIDs.

I've checked these channels several times this week and there has not been any problems receiving them.

This afternoon,about 4 et,when I turned the box on,H&I and Decades zero Q,MeTV SD breaking badly.Right now,11:30 et,still the same,MeTV HD however is working fine.
I've changed nothing in my AZ Ulta and up until a couple of weeks ago when this started,these channels have been mostly working fine,just occasional minor glitches.Makes no difference whether using the 10' Pinnacle or the 12' Paraclipse.

Little or no signal quality is different than what wvman describes. Apparently, deleting and rescanning the transponders resets the PIDs allowing the channels to display.

No doubt that some viewers are having signal strength issues that seem to be affecting reception. The channels have normal signal quality readings and are displaying fine in Northern California at 12 midnight, but reported poor levels for billyboy_1.

Reactions: billyboy_1
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts