Digital Breakup on 101 C Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Back to worthless,at 2pm et H&I and Decades was completely gone.Now at 4pm flashing Q from 0 to whatever,unwatchable.ME seems to be ok.

I know I am using a minibud but I have noticed the same problem yesterday before I went into work it would stay locked it kept bouncing back and forth. Everything else was coming in 99w and 103w c band.

A fresh scan this morning has Hero's back at 3951 with a signal at 86 and Q at 70% but still lots of breaking up on a Manhattan DJ-1997. However a X2 mini premium on the same system never has lost Hero's and has no breaking up.

What were the VPID/APIDs before rescanning?

Side by side receivers providing different reception results tuning the same services would seemly to point to the same AFT (Automatic Fine Tuning) issues that were corrected in the microHD in 2013 for these problematic channels.

Did not think to check any differences. The Q level is still unstable on the Manhattan. An Amiko on the same system is better than last night where it had no signal at all. The X2 mini has never faltered.

Well just checked again,MeTV SD back working fine.H&I/DEC back but bouncing Q,all pids correct at least as listed on Lyngsat.
Deleted transponders,blind scanned,found Decades but not H&I or Me SD or Movies.
Manualy entered and scanned in the above 3.
Me SD fine,Movies pixilating,Decades in and out,H&I nothing.All with the same and as listed pids as before.

Reactions: billyboy_1
Have you tried editing the SIDs to unused values? The STB may be conflicted by the identical service IDs linked to different VPID/APID and keeps running the auto update process?

Have the ability to monitor the tuner via com port for observing the AFT or SID process? Might see the breakup is retuning between adjacent carriers.

Too bad these services aren't intended for DTH! They likely would have been assigned unique SIDs and not caused so many problems with consumer STBs... :(

Have you tried editing the SIDs to unused values? The STB may be conflicted by the identical service IDs linked to different VPID/APID and keeps running the auto update process?

Have the ability to monitor the tuner via com port for observing the AFT or SID process? Might see the breakup is retuning between adjacent carriers.

Too bad these services aren't intended for DTH! They likely would have been assigned unique SIDs and not caused so many problems with consumer STBs... :(
Don't know if you were asking me or not,but.I haven't messed with the editing programs since just after I bought the AZ Ultra to "americanize" it,that was 6?,7? years ago.Don't even remember which of the old computers it's on,tho I know I still have it somewhere.:biggrin
This kind of stuff only qualifies as an annoyance anymore,not that important,if it works,fine,if it doesn't,oh well.
My increasing lack of attention span,and income,the interest in playing with this stuff just isn't there like it used to be ;).
Anyway,just swung the dish back to 101,Me is working,H&I,DEC,and Movies there but glitching.

What were the VPID/APIDs before rescanning?

Side by side receivers providing different reception results tuning the same services would seemly to point to the same AFT (Automatic Fine Tuning) issues that were corrected in the microHD in 2013 for these problematic channels.

I have updated my uHD and it worked fine until recently when something 'mysterious' changed with these channels.
I am trying to follow what exactly you did to get these rock solid on your end - I vaguely follow your reasoning.
I was going to go outside and tilt the dish up and down to see if that would help. (post shifting from spring thaw perhaps?).
But as someone reported this is not a problem on an x2 , whatever the heck that is (new pirate receiver?).
I for one would hate to lose "ten years" and those juicy weekend binges.

I don't understand what you mean by same SID's, according to my info they all have the symbol rates not ID's. The frequencies are only 4 Mhz apart, but that too narrow for the microHD to handle ? It worked with the June 26,2013 update so what's different now?

I would like to know how you are getting these channels solid. I suspect that trick you mention is only to bring them in not to resolve the intermittent reception.
Wish I had a way to monitor what the internal tuner is doing and break that AFC 'voltage', disable it (the loop), obviously something is confusing the receiver.
Could this be an 'ecm', a way to discourage unauthorized viewing of these channels and a sign of things to come? Perish the thought!

Each channel has a SID (Service Identification) in the transponder table to digitally identify the service to the receiver and it is the same on all three of these transponders (SID: 1). Typically, this is not a problem when transponders are separated by adequate bandwidth and the receiver doesn't see multiple and identical service ID data. When a receiver tunes a transponder, it checks the SID for updates to the PIDs. If the PIDs have changed, the receiver updates the service data. In this case, the receiver is often checking the adjacent transponder SID and overwriting the correct PIDs.

The microHD June, 2013 firmware update corrected this overwriting issue. If you updated to more recent firmware, maybe this is part of the problem? I am running a microHD with 6/2013 firmware, TBS6983, K1 plus, and several factory Android quadcores without and problems on these channels.

I monitored the Decades over this past weekend with the TBS 6983 card and EBSpro. The report indicated a total signal strength variation of 1.38 dB , but occasional significant SNR reductions of up to 3 dB. This might be due to station keeping issues, uplink management or interference. During the two days there were no recorded loss of service events.

Some viewers are likely having reception issues that aggravate the situation. This might be due to their location or system tuning.

An ECM? LOL... We likely don't meet their link budget minimum specifications used for the calculations. We aren't the target audience and I don't see any reason to marginalize their transmissions to make it difficult for the DTH viewer. It is all about distribution expense and required performance/uptime to their network stations. Some consumer receivers have problems and others don't. Some DTH systems receive these services reliably, others don't. Just the way it is in the FTA world when we aren't the target customer.

Last edited:
Each channel has a SID (Service Identification) in the transponder table to digitally identify the service to the receiver and it is the same on all three of these transponders (SID: 1). Typically, this is not a problem when transponders are separated by adequate bandwidth and the receiver doesn't see multiple and identical service ID data.

I don't have a problem purchasing another receiver, but so far, I haven't seen evidence of any receiver not having these same kinds of problems. I've lost Decades, H&I and Movies and can only get an occasional burst of data sufficient to cause a frozen picture now and then. Oddly enough, when I rescanned, I gained two HD channels of MeTV that stays locked most of the time even though the signal quality is only 54%. The SD channels have more signal, but they don't stay locked as well at the HD channels.

The SD channels are carrying a signal quality of 68-70%, but they are not reliable. It puzzling how some channels, even HD channels on other satellites carry about the same signal quality, but are rock solid regarding stability. I found a plethora of network channels that are HD and stable as a rock, while others on the same satellite have an occasional glitch. If there's a more reliable receiver out there, please let me know what it is. I really like H&I, Movies and decades, even though H&I dug around in some garbage bin and found Hill Street Blues and several of the other NY cop shows I hated when they were new.

Hopefully there's a solution to this nagging problem.

Been monitoring the channels all day without loss or break-up. Signal Quality readings have remained constant.

Here is a video that I captured a few minutes ago showing channels reception, PIDs and signal reading. Northern California at 12:30pm PDT. 10 ft dish with Titanium C2W-PLL LNBF, microHD STB running 6/2013 firmware.

The HDVR1200 and X2 STBs both break-up Video and Audio when simply swapping coax from microHD or TBS6983 with no other change in signal path or signal quality readings Something to note, both problematic receivers are Novatek chipsets.

My MicroHD has been playing these channels fine, which I did have some issues a while back and I remember that I manually entered the TP's and scanned them in. All these stations right now on my microHD, METV SD and HD, Heroes, Decades and Movies have 1 for the SID. I haven't re-scanned that sat lately, so I don't know if a re-scan would mess things up.

One odd thing there I see is that MeTV HD has a Q in the low 70's, SD is in the 50's, which is different than I remember it being before, pretty much opposite.

Right now on the 9' dish, with a C1WPLL:

MeTV SD :56% Q, MeTV HD : 73% Q, Decades : 70% Q, Heroes : 70% Q, Movies : 70% Q

I haven't noticed any issues since the problem I was having a month or so ago and I'm on 101W quite a bit, have the 2013-6-26 firmware in it.

Been monitoring the channels all day without loss or break-up.

They are solid now at 3:44 AM. Obviously there are messing with us. uHD on 06/2013 firmware. They must have had some technical issues.
Hope this doesn't happen next Binge! (did anybody record The Mothers in Law binge?) I archive classic tv shows, would have liked this one. oh well.

Thanks TI. Was kidding about ecm btw. These are not broadcast over VHF/UHF like MeTV and Antenna TV are they ?[/QUOTE]

They all scan in but for some reason I can't get a lock on them anymore even though the SQ is 50%. The SQ bar goes up and down.

METV, METV Alt, Decades, Heroes & Icons, Movies are coming in here in Northern California. Decades, Heroes & Icons, Movies SNR is near threshold and the BER reading shows that the correction is nearly maxed out.

Is anybody getting MeTV, Heroes and more ? all Im getting is Daystar
Getting MeTV, Daystar, GEB but nothing else. Others Q jumps up briefly then back down to zero on Amiko Mini HD SE. Tried bumping dish e/w but no go. Overcast and raining here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)