Digital Camera - best bang for the buck

bebop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 5, 2008
Idaho
I orderd the Olympus Stylus 1010 digital camera today from tigerdirect with a 10% cashback offer from microsoft's bing cashback site. The total price after the cashback was $136.

Here are the specs:

Stylus 1010 Specs
  • 10 mega pixel
  • 7x optical zoom
I couldn't find a camera with such a high optical zoom and 10MP for such a low price anywhere else. I hope it ends up being a good camera. My existing one is dying and I wanted a good zoom without having to spend a lot and still get a good quality camera.

Here's where I found it:
Olympus Stylus 1010 Digital Camera - 10.1 Megapixels, 7x Optical Zoom, 5x Digital Zoom, Silver at TigerDirect.com

Great camera, so far. It was new, unopened, non-refurb. I haven't seen a better deal for such a high zoom in a quality camera.

Don't EVER drop it. I bought the Stylus 1000 for my daughter because of the phenomenal specs and the weather resistant capabilites for college. 6 months later, it had slipped out of her hand and the lens would not retract all the way. I sent it in to Olympus and after several days of bargaining got the repair down to $85. One month later, the lens quit retracting again. I spent a good chunk of money on that camera and it was just a little too fragile for a point and shoot.

Since then I have stuck to Kodak and have never regretted it. My boys try to be careful but things happen and their Kodaks just keep on working. My daughter has a Kodak and I have the Kodak Z1285, 12mpx, 5x zoom, and HD video mode. I have taken it everywhere and it works great. I got it for @ $150, much cheaper than that Stylus 1000.

Good luck and enjoy! Digital cameras are great!

Well, probably my best bang for the buck is the Vivitar keychain cameras we used this weekend for a scouting event. 0.5 MP, but they cost exactly $1/ea.

However, you would be much better off using your cellphone camera. Not recommended.

I just bought Canan SD780i and I could not be happier. I think it is great all around, very tiny, and it shoots HD video better than the Mino HD. At least that is what I have heard, don't actually have anything like the Mino HD but I would believe this is better. It is really good. Did I mention it has a relatively low price and can take pictures in low light if you turn off the flash. I think it is awesome.

Well, probably my best bang for the buck is the Vivitar keychain cameras we used this weekend for a scouting event. 0.5 MP, but they cost exactly $1/ea.

However, you would be much better off using your cellphone camera. Not recommended.
Even my cell camera isn't so hot for taking pictures of most anything.

Maybe you could use about 20 of those keychain cameras and edit the shots together to get a 10MP picture! :D Then you'd get 10MP for around $20 and some duct-tape.

I just bought Canan SD780i and I could not be happier. I think it is great all around, very tiny, and it shoots HD video better than the Mino HD. At least that is what I have heard, don't actually have anything like the Mino HD but I would believe this is better. It is really good. Did I mention it has a relatively low price and can take pictures in low light if you turn off the flash. I think it is awesome.
What's the zoom, 3x optical? My last Canon was and I always wished I had bought a better zoom.

Don't EVER drop it. I bought the Stylus 1000 for my daughter because of the phenomenal specs and the weather resistant capabilites for college.

Since then I have stuck to Kodak and have never regretted it. My boys try to be careful but things happen and their Kodaks just keep on working. My daughter has a Kodak and I have the Kodak Z1285, 12mpx, 5x zoom, and HD video mode. I have taken it everywhere and it works great. I got it for @ $150, much cheaper than that Stylus 1000.

Good luck and enjoy! Digital cameras are great!
Thanks. Dropping cameras is never a good thing. It would be nice to have a rubberized cover or something similar so they don't slip out as easily. I've been trying to always use the wrist strap and it saved the camera a few times.

$150 eneded up being more than the Stylus 1010. Where did you get the Kodak? Seems like there are not many options for over 5x zoom and under $200.

I bought the Olympus 5010, 12 megapixel camera a couple of months ago. Good camera, takes HUGE 3mb pictures. Cost about $150, and I bought a little camera pouch to put it in for $5, so I don't have to worry as much about dropping it. The pouch is also good for carrying spare batteries. Those LI-42 batteries only last so long, so I bought a couple extra.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)