Digital CATV and Sat on the same cable?

Alright, Jon, here goes:

To add satellite to each room, you will have to install a diplexer onto each individual room line in the basement. Put this diplexer inline after all of your Channel Plus equipment. So, if your CCTV modulation occurs before the DA-550, then you should just have to remove each line one at a time from the 550 and add a diplexer to the line, with the "common" side leading toward the room. This is the side that looks like the INPUT port of a splitter. Then, connect a jumper wire from the 550 to the diplexer on the VHF/UHF port. Connect a satellite feed into the remaining port. It should be a port that is labeled Satellite and looks like an OUTPUT leg on a splitter.

Keep in mind that splitters and diplexers are very different things and can't be used in place of each other.

You will then need to install a second diplexer on each wire in the upstairs rooms. Connect the "common" side to the wire coming from the wallplate. The Satellite side will go to your satellite receiver and the other leg will go to your TV set.

Now the only other issue to solve is getting coax lines from the dish down to your distribution panel. It's a POINT A to Point B type of problem you can work out.

My only other question is, can you view your CCTV cameras from inside your theater room? If not, we can do that too on the same wire that the 81 and 83 comes down on.

Also, why do you have a 5445 with the 622 and 722? Both have modulators built in to them already on their HOME DISTRIBUTION ports. You can use a simple splitter to combine them and you can turn on TV1 on both in the menu so you have 4 channels running down to the basement.

It's hard to use the modulators from sat receivers chan 3&4 at the same time on the same cable because those modulators have too much co-channel bleedover. They are not the same quality modulators that cable company headends use for co-channel use. You would need "saw" filtered modulators.

It's hard to use the modulators from sat receivers chan 3&4 at the same time on the same cable because those modulators have too much co-channel bleedover. They are not the same quality modulators that cable company headends use for co-channel use. You would need "saw" filtered modulators.

If you're referencing my last post about using the Home Distribution port, then you should be aware that the Home Distribution port's modulator is frequency selectable so you can just go in the receiver and put it to any channel you want. The 622 and 722 in fact won't let you co-locate channels internally if you are feeding out the TV1 and TV2 signals. He would simply have to choose two channels that are not adjacent to each other.

Alright, Jon, here goes:

To add satellite to each room, you will have to install a diplexer onto each individual room line in the basement. Put this diplexer inline after all of your Channel Plus equipment. So, if your CCTV modulation occurs before the DA-550, then you should just have to remove each line one at a time from the 550 and add a diplexer to the line, with the "common" side leading toward the room. This is the side that looks like the INPUT port of a splitter. Then, connect a jumper wire from the 550 to the diplexer on the VHF/UHF port. Connect a satellite feed into the remaining port. It should be a port that is labeled Satellite and looks like an OUTPUT leg on a splitter.

Keep in mind that splitters and diplexers are very different things and can't be used in place of each other.

You will then need to install a second diplexer on each wire in the upstairs rooms. Connect the "common" side to the wire coming from the wallplate. The Satellite side will go to your satellite receiver and the other leg will go to your TV set.

Now the only other issue to solve is getting coax lines from the dish down to your distribution panel. It's a POINT A to Point B type of problem you can work out.

My only other question is, can you view your CCTV cameras from inside your theater room? If not, we can do that too on the same wire that the 81 and 83 comes down on.

Also, why do you have a 5445 with the 622 and 722? Both have modulators built in to them already on their HOME DISTRIBUTION ports. You can use a simple splitter to combine them and you can turn on TV1 on both in the menu so you have 4 channels running down to the basement.

Wow! Thanks for your time and response. Let's see if I can keep up with you.

First off, the reason I have the 5445 with the 622 and 722 is because there used to be a 721 and 921 there. When I replaced those units, I just left the infrastructure in place because it was easiest! :D

So, if I understand your detail, I would need to:

1) Dump the CATV
2) Run a coax from the switch outside that comes from the satellite to the input of the DA-550BID. The outputs of the 550 will now all be satellite feeds. However, before the cable goes out to the wall jacks, I put a diplexor on each output line which allows me to connect the output of the 5445 to the same cable, which then feeds another diplexor at the TV location where I can split the modulated signal from the satellite signal, connecting the satellite side to the sat receiver (single feed receiver) and the modulated RF side to the RF in of the TV.

Putting the satellite signal through the 550 won't screw up the infrared distribution or visa versa, will it?

Thanks again

:-jon

1) Dump the CATV

You don't really have to since all of your modulators are running at channels above your notch filter.

2) Run a coax from the switch outside that comes from the satellite to the input of the DA-550BID

No. The specs on the 550 don't include satellite signals from dish to receiver.

The outputs of the 550 will now all be satellite feeds.

No. The adding of satellite feeds to each individual cable run is done after the 550.

However, before the cable goes out to the wall jacks, I put a diplexor on each output line which allows me to connect the output of the 5445 to the same cable,

This part is correct. The diplexer allows you to put your modulated channels and your satellite signals coming from the dish on to the same wire to go up to each television location.

which then feeds another diplexor at the TV location where I can split the modulated signal from the satellite signal, connecting the satellite side to the sat receiver (single feed receiver) and the modulated RF side to the RF in of the TV.

Yes. Although the action is referred to as diplexing or separating the signals. Splitting refers to taking a specific signal and dividing it.

Putting the satellite signal through the 550 won't screw up the infrared distribution or visa versa, will it?

Well, now this is need to know information. You can't run a satellite signal down the same coax that is carrying an IR signal. So any of the individual runs that have IR can't have satellite on them. What is the IR distribution for? Do you have cat5 runs that the IR system can be moved over onto? No satellite through the 550.

1) Dump the CATV
You don't really have to since all of your modulators are running at channels above your notch filter.

What about the digital channels (100+). Are these affected by the notch filter?

2) Run a coax from the switch outside that comes from the satellite to the input of the DA-550BID
No. The specs on the 550 don't include satellite signals from dish to receiver.

Gotcha. The Satellite signal enters AFTER the 550

Well, now this is need to know information. You can't run a satellite signal down the same coax that is carrying an IR signal. So any of the individual runs that have IR can't have satellite on them. What is the IR distribution for? Do you have cat5 runs that the IR system can be moved over onto? No satellite through the 550.

No. There is no CAT5 for the IR, just DC signal on the coax that's inserted by the 550. The IR is so that remotes can work all through the house.

Looks like it's back to the drawing board, or time to figure out how to get extra RG-6 runs upstairs.

Thanks again for your help.

What about the digital channels (100+). Are these affected by the notch filter?

The digital channels come down certain frequencies that are probably blocked by the notch filter. A digital station of channel 500 might actually be on a QAM carrier that is located on 82, or any number of possibilities.

No. There is no CAT5 for the IR, just DC signal on the coax that's inserted by the 550.

The IR only needs a single pair so if you have available pairs in any of the rooms, you could use that. Another method is using wireless transmitters such as PowerMid products which convert RF remote commands to UHF and transmits them to a base unit that then converts back to RF (IR). If the 550 is putting the DC on the output lines, then you can block that with a DC BLOCK FILTER to cut out the DC. However, that will prevent any IR from running down the cables.

What remotes do you have?

The digital channels come down certain frequencies that are probably blocked by the notch filter. A digital station of channel 500 might actually be on a QAM carrier that is located on 82, or any number of possibilities.

The IR only needs a single pair so if you have available pairs in any of the rooms, you could use that. Another method is using wireless transmitters such as PowerMid products which convert RF remote commands to UHF and transmits them to a base unit that then converts back to RF (IR). If the 550 is putting the DC on the output lines, then you can block that with a DC BLOCK FILTER to cut out the DC. However, that will prevent any IR from running down the cables.

What remotes do you have?

Mostly Dish remotes, but I do have a 400 DVD Changer that my wife can access from any room in the house (On Ch 83), and in the theater room, all of the equipment is behind the screen, so I have an IR Receiver in the wall under the 109" Da-Lite screen.

I think I may have to re-evaluate my wiring and see what I can do to get it up to speed. When I built this house in 1987, I never would have thought to run more than one RG-6 to each room, let alone a couple of CAT 5's (like I would do today! :D)

Thanks for all of your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)