Digital FTA (Need to get rid of my cable company)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

evonna_21

Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
athens
Hello, I live in Athens, GA. A place where there is only one cable company here unless I get dish. Unfortunately, my apartment building won't let me have a satellite. Is there a device I can buy that can provide me free to air without a satellite. I would imagine that a satellite is just a big antenna. Any help would be appreciated. I need to dump charter as soon as possible. I'm paying 80 dollars for basic cable. This isn't right.

I'm paying 80 dollars for basic cable. This isn't right.
You are correct. I understand your frustration. You can dump your subscription TV but you must be satisfied with alternatives such as FTA and other sources can offer. You won't find the same channels. Do you really think multi-billion $ companies that somehow have convinced average people to pay them up to $150+/month for TV would have it any other way?

Internet with streaming media boxes from Roku, AppleTV, WDTV, etc... along with Hulu Plus, Netflix or Amazon is about best alternative without having access to satellite dish or wanting to pay for cable tv.

Have you thought about just getting an over the air tv antenna for your apartment? There are even some that are flat, and stick to a window. You didn't give an exact address, but here's a TvFool report for Athens GA. There are some channels available to you. If you are in an upstairs apartment, it probably will work better.:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=5b9465dacad4ae

Other than that, the others are correct in that you'd need high-speed internet, and a Roku or some device such as that. Or even just a laptop, and going to Hulu.com and other websites to watch tv on your pc.

The roku sounds interesting. At least I would get hbo. I'm getting the bare minimum and paying out the pocket. I am not a satisfied customer at all.

A Roku will bring you more movies and TV shows than you could possibly watch (especially with a Netflix subscription) and a subtly placed outdoor antenna on your balcony (you do have a porch or balcony?) will get you most of the Atlanta channels.

I would imagine that a satellite is just a big antenna.
That's pretty much it. If the apartment manager doesn't allow a dish (something they can't easily do as it is protected by FCC policy), they certainly won't allow an outdoor antenna.

The "Free TV" antennas are often indoor units and they perform as such (poorly for anything further than 20-30 miles away).

Depending on where you live in Athens, that means maybe five or six channels (ABC, Univision and maybe PBS).

A Roku will bring you more movies and TV shows than you could possibly watch (especially with a Netflix subscription) and a subtly placed outdoor antenna on your balcony (you do have a porch or balcony?) will get you most of the Atlanta channels.
TVFool shows Atlanta at 56 miles with 1 edge. This is unlikely to be a stealth antenna.

TVFool shows Atlanta at 56 miles with 1 edge. This is unlikely to be a stealth antenna.

You'd think. But I have a friend who lives 45 miles away from Atlanta with one of those $20 square indoor/outdoor deals and hangs it under his porch. It performs a lot better than I expected (although not as great as a proper outdoor aerial, of course). From Athens, I'd expect a little less reliability, but if placed outdoors, I'd still imagine several of the UHF-band stations would come in.

Can you get regular channels with roku or is this like netflix.

Roku is really just for Netflix and some other specialty "channels." You wouldn't receive things like HGTV, Food Network, HBO, etc. At this moment, the only way to get a lot of this premium programming is through pay satellite, U-Verse, or cable.

If an outdoor antenna isn't possible for you at all, your best bet may be to keep cable, but just for the local channels (which is usually around $20 a month in most markets), and add a Netflix subscription (either through a smart TV or a Roku connected to any TV) for $8 a month.

I guess the top question is, which channels do you watch the most and are you willing to sacrifice any/some of them for a better price? :)

Roku is really just for Netflix and some other specialty "channels."

I am guessing you don't have a Roku.
There are about 200 free channels currently. A lot if what use to be on FTA (or is still is on FTA.).

There also is a growing number of cable channels showing up. Some you need a username and password from you cable or satellite company to access all shows but for most a lot of the shows without ever logging in.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have one...I guess I must not be using it to its full potential!

I was assuming she meant a complete replacement for cable (all the local networks and premium stuff streaming live without a sub to cable/pay satellite). If Roku provides that, I apologize and must be behind the times!

Last edited:
if my tv is already hooked to the internet through its own connection, a sony, do I still need roku? secondly, is there a directory to the free channels? charlie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts