Digital FTA (Need to get rid of my cable company)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would suggest a Roku, but that needs broadband internet. That is about the closest you are going to get.

Roku, Netflix, hulu, ustvnow (free version: abc, cbs, pbs, nbc's, fox, CW and myTv).....your pretty much set. Throw in an extra 12$ month for Vod

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Will the roku box automatically pick up the regular channels or would there be something extra I would need.

I'm a little confused. I called roku and they said I can't get abc and ect. I just want to get the regular channels like I use to get before everything went digital. She said they only stream so I won't get any channels but movies. Is this true?

Will the roku box automatically pick up the regular channels or would there be something extra I would need.

Need to know exactly what you are wanting.

There is not one box that can do it all other than maybe a laptop or computer connected to the tv. The Roku and most other streaming media boxes can support subscriptions to Netflix and Hulu Plus. There are also some other 24/7 channels available via Roku like EbruTv (my favorite for UK and Australian tv shows), AMG, B/W. There are some apps that allow for cable channels (HBOgo, Watch ESPN, Epix, Disney, A&E, History, etc..), but they are usually tied to a cable subscription and worthless without also paying for a cable/sat subscription.

If your tv has a built in Digital ATSC tuner, which most do, I would get a cheap $25 amplified flat antenna from Walmart and plug it into the tv and scan for channels and see if it can pick up any over the air locals for you. If it doesn't work you can always return the antenna for a refund.

Use your computer and check out the offerings from Netflix, Hulu, USTVnow and then check out the Roku to see if it fits your needs. There are a lot of good alternatives.

If having all the networks is important to you, you might want to look into Aereo, particularly if you are going to buy a Roku. It's not free but it only costs $8 or $12 a month, however you can get a free trial month to decide if it will work for you. It will let you watch and/or record TV from the Atlanta TV stations (Athens is included in the Atlanta area). It is entirely over the Internet, you don't need any TV antenna at all, and while you can watch programs on any computer with a web browser, using a supported TV box will let you watch on your TV. You might want to visit their site and explore their offerings. Note that you can get a free month of service to try them out, but if you know you are going to get a Roku I'd wait until you have that connected before you start the free month, unless you don't mind watching TV on a computer monitor.

The one caveat is that because of the technology they use (where each subscriber actually gets their own dedicated tiny TV antenna at Aereo), they say they do not have to pay the local TV stations retransmission fees like the cable companies do. As you might expect, the stations disagree, and the dispute is headed for the Supreme Court later this year. If Aereo loses, they may be forced to shut down their service, or pay those retransmission fees which would make their entire business model nonviable. Even though I am not an Aereo subscriber, I really hope Aereo wins, for a number of reasons you probably don't care about. Well, actually, there is one other caveat - you must have a reliable high-speed internet connection or Aereo either won't work at all, or the picture will be highly compressed (to the quality of standard definition or worse).

Because Aereo requires no antenna at your apartment you will not get into any hassle there (although I will point out that they can't legally forbid you from putting an antenna in an area that is exclusively under your control, such as a deck or patio attached to your apartment, if that's what you need for reliable TV reception. Of course if you do that and it bothers them sufficiently, they will probably start looking for any legal reason to evict you). And because the tiny antennas they use are probably located very close to the Atlanta TV transmitters, you will not have issues because of the distance between Atlanta and Athens. But as I mentioned, the drawback is it's not free like an antenna would be, but it's also not anywhere near the 80 bucks a month your cable company charges.

I'm a little confused. I called roku and they said I can't get abc and ect. I just want to get the regular channels like I use to get before everything went digital. She said they only stream so I won't get any channels but movies. Is this true?
Yes and no. Roku itself doesn't offer the networks but see my post about Aereo. If you subscribe to that then yes, you can watch the regular local channels on your Roku.

Add the channel USTVNOW and sign up for the free 45 day trial (ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, PBS, MyTV, CW). After 45 days, sign up again etc.

I just want to get the regular channels
Do a $0 test. Connect a length of wire to your TV antenna connector. Temporarily, throw it (the wire, not TV) out the window, if possible. Use your TV to scan for channels. If you catch any channels, this will motivate you to get an inexpensive amplified indoor TV antenna if an outdoor antenna is not allowed.

By regular channels, you mean channels 2, 5, 8, 11, 17, 36, 46, 69 right? Where you can see the local news (and weather)? Again, if that's the case I say the Roku won't help you at all, and you'll either need some sort of antenna (cyberham's post above is a great idea....remember whatever you use to test for an antenna, it needs to be outside somehow-- a wire dangling out of the window, rabbit ears outside the front door, whatever you have -- I doubt if you'll get much without a lot of effort with an indoor antenna in Athens) or if that's not possible, I'm afraid you'll have to stick with cable for now, but reduce it all the way down to the basic package.

Are these the channels you mean?

Might check to see how much "Lifeline" cable costs.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Aereo is out of capacity in the Atlanta market at the moment and not taking new customers. Have to get on waiting list until they add more capacity

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/330185-Aereo-Runs-Out-Of-Capacity-In-Atlanta

That happened in New York City as well, but it was only a week or two before they had additional capacity installed. So I'd suggest getting on that waiting list, especially if the OP orders a Roku or other compatible device and is at all interested in Aereo's service, and also checking back on the site every few days. Eventually they will be taking new registrations. Remember that there will always be people in their free trial period that will decide not to continue with the service, so even if they never add any more little antennas (which is unlikely) additional capacity will become available from time to time.

Roku is by no means a substitute for a conventional programming service (cable or direct broadcast satellite). It is a delivery terminal for several Internet-based programming services (think Netflix, Redbox and Amazon Video).

If you need local channels, Roku won't deliver them. If you need cable channels (CNN, MTV, HBO, ESPN), Roku typically won't deliver them either (unless you already subscribe through cable or DBS).

Roku essentially makes for a "smarter" TV than what most TVs offer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.