Digital OTA Reception Problems

kdarcangelis870

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
I am having trouble on one of my digital ota channels. The OTA signal meter on my directv receiver fluctuates from 45 to 63 then to 0. Right now there are some strong winds outside, but my antenna is indoors. Can strong winds break up a digital tv signal before it enters into my house?

Weather can affect your reception even if your antenna is indoors. I find that in different atmospheric conditions my signal on certain channels can range from 8 bars to 3 bars in a matter of hours. Winds could also effect your signal, it would all depend on where it blow from and its relation to the station's location.

Yesterday I was receiving 8 bars on NBC Buffalo, because of bad weather tonite I and only getting 3 bars.

The symptoms as you describe them sound more like multi-path than weather related problems. That is, of course, assuming that your antenna is in good physical condition with no loose connections, corroded connections, etc.

No the wind does not have ANY effect on ths signal itself. Certain other weather phenomina, such as a cold front or cloud cover or heavy rain can reflect a signal or change its range.

Try moving your indoor antenna around a bit get it close to the nearest outside wall toward the station or better by a window with no wire screen on it.

You may have to stand on one leg and hold it above your head ;).

kdarcangelis870 said:
The OTA signal meter on my directv receiver fluctuates from 45 to 63 then to 0. Right now there are some strong winds outside, but my antenna is indoors. Can strong winds break up a digital tv signal before it enters into my house?

If there are trees that are swaying in the wind the signals could vary enough to cause problems. Some receivers are better than others at adapting to changing signal levels.

Thanks for the info. Yesterday was a cloudy, windy day. Today is pretty much cloudless with light wind. I had no reception problems today. I think my one palm tree could be swaying in the way of the signal coming from the tower for channel 30-1 since my antenna is lower than the tree and is almost pointing directly at the tree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts