digital signal amp?

neil_kc1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
KANSAS CITY AREA
Anyone using or know if there is an inexpensive digital signal amp to boost the incoming signal off an antenna? I have some channels with a signal but it is not stable so channel comes and goes.

IF you need a pre-amplifier, there is no such thing as a digital amplifier, just as there is really no such thing as a digital TV antenna. If it works with analog TV signals, it will work with digital.

Look for quality, not price. An inexpensive pre-amplifier might just amplify more noise than signal.

Depending on you findings at www.antennaweb.org, the answer will vary, but Winegard and Channel Master make good pre-amplifiers.

Doing a forum search on pre-amps will get you lots of info.

you may want to try an aska amplifier with an adjustable attenuator. I am using a +25 gain amp. btw I am from wantagh. ny south of the hempstead turnpike.
I am using a channel master 3016 vhf/uhf antenna. The aska amplifier (which you
can purchase from stark electronics) it has a selectable in or out fm trap. I went from 45 signal strength off my hr10-250 d* tivo to a wopping 90...no drop outs. no loss of video. you have to adjust the attenuator, you can overdrive the signal
and cause the dtv signal strength to go lower.

i had increased gain from wnet dt uhf 61 (45 to 90)
also " " wnjn dt uhf 51 (55 to 85)

hope this helps....rolou21.

what is your zipcode...so we may get a feel of your situation...distances, channels, etc.

what are you currently using for an antenna?

do you own satellite and is the ota diplexed...off air combined with satellite?

Do you split the signal...if so how may times...2 way, 3 way, etc.

The answers to the questions will help determine amplifier type (distribution amp or preamp) and gain (to help avoid overloading issues).

found an rca digital signal amp hooked it in line between my antenna and receiver and raised my signal strength by from about 40 to 65. I am happy!

I live in odessa missouri, just about 40 miles from kansas city. have a pole about 15 feet high with a mounted wineguard uhf antenna very directional and a small vhf on top for the one channel in the Kansas City Metro that is broadcasting digital on vhf. I also have an antenna rotor i bought on e-bay. so far i am able to pick up all the kc area channels but one, they all have great pictures. I think the one i am missing it is hiding behind my next door neighbors house. The amp stablized the one channel that i could receive but would loose if the signal went under 40

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)