Digital signal strength when analog goes out

in what way?

Knife edge refraction.

The following is copied from the Wikipedia article on radio propagation.

Knife-Edge diffraction is the propagation mode where radio waves are bent around sharp edges. For example, this mode is used to send radio signals over a mountain range when a line-of-sight path is not available. However, the angle cannot be too sharp or the signal will not diffract. The diffraction mode requires increased signal strength, so higher power or better antennas will be needed than for an equivalent line-of-sight path.

Diffraction depends on the relationship between the wavelength and the size of the obstacle. In other words, the size of the obstacle in wavelengths. Lower frequencies diffract around large smooth obstacles such as hills more easily. For example, in many cases where VHF (or higher frequency) communication is not possible due to shadowing by a hill, one finds that it is still possible to communicate using the upper part of the HF band where the surface wave is of little use.

Well I don't want to divert the thread any further but I think what you describe is a very special circumstance such as a mountain range. TV fool shows all of my UHF digital reception from DC at 45 miles as 2nd edge diffraction when I basicly have LOS.

Last edited:
well I don't want to divert the thread any further but I think what you describe is a very special circumstance.

Not so.

The ability for VHF to outperform UHF when the path is not line of sight is the reason that many stations are switching back to VHF in February. Those stations will use less power but reach further.

Sadly, my signal for ABC will get worse. Might have to give up Desperate Housewives.

To be more specific regarding my question that I started this thread with....the channel in question that I'm referring to is WGN (9.1). I currently get their analog signal very clearly with little or no static/snow. However, I can't get their digital channel 9.1 in at all. I was just wondering if this would improve once the analog signal is cut off. Perhaps they will move back to a VHF frequency once the cut off date arrives? Please pardon my lack of knowledge on this topic - I'm a life long Cubs fans who has watched games my whole life with my roof top antenna and don't want to lose it!

Rathhe than guess that the sstation in question was changeing from one frequency to another etc I went to TV fool.com and entered a chicagoland address. It shows that WGN-DT will broadcast at the same frequency using the same power after the transition.

So the news as reported by TV Fool is not encouraging.

To be more specific regarding my question that I started this thread with....the channel in question that I'm referring to is WGN (9.1).

WGN is running about as much power on channel 19 as the FCC will allow. They will stay on channel 19. However, there is also a channel 19 DTV in Grand Rapids, WXMI. The two channel 19's interfere with each other.

The WGN antenna pattern does not send much signal toward SW Michigan. Will that change on February 18, 2009? Probably not. Stations have an option to apply to to the FCC to improve coverage beginning in August, 2008. The application process and lead time on equipment would make 2010 a likely date for maximization.

Your options for over the air reception of WGN-DT is an antenna with more gain on channel 19 and less pick-up toward Grand Rapid or a location for your existing antenna that is clear toward Chicago and shielded toward Grand Rapids.

Last edited:
Thank you Geronimo and Tower Guy very much, this was the info I was looking for. Guess I'll try your suggestions and hopefully I'll be ok.

There is considerable hype on network TV about the transformation to DTV. The gist of the hype is that one only needs a TV set with a DTV receiver or a simple converter box. It goes on to say the government will provide two $40 discount coupons for the converter boxes. Now the truth is that UHF is not as propagation friendly as VHF. UHF signals tend to follow a straight line path rather than following the contours of the earth. Also tall buildings, mountains and other obstructions block UHF signals. What this means is that many of viewers will not be able to receive a DTV signal, especially if they live in the mountains or extreme rural areas.

I decided to take the challenge to see what is available for off-the-air viewing. Most viewers will not be as persistent as I. First I went to antennaweb.org and it didn't show anything for my address. Undaunted by the negative I proceeded on to purchase a couple of hundred dollars worth of UHF antennae and an amplifier by Antennas Direct. The bottom line is that I can receive digital signals (though most show no bars on the signal strength) for the other networks but nothing for CBS. Normally I watch WSPA Spartanburg, SC for analog programming, but that azimuth or no amount of antenna rotation or repositioning will bring in a digital signal. The antenna used is an amplifed Antenna Direct 91XG Uni-Directional Antenna their highest gain UHF antenna. So it appears that CBS will fall out of my viewing ability when analog TV becomes history. I have contacted the affiliate but have received no info from them as to whether any radiation pattern changes of additional sites are being contemplated. However, this is not just about me I predict there will be many that are disenfranchised by the mandated move to UHF.

Thanks for the TVFool address it gives more info than antennaweb.org!

Normally I watch WSPA Spartanburg, SC for analog programming, but that azimuth or no amount of antenna rotation or repositioning will bring in a digital signal. The antenna used is an amplifed Antenna Direct 91XG Uni-Directional Antenna their highest gain UHF antenna. So it appears that CBS will fall out of my viewing ability when analog TV becomes history.

WSPA-DT will move from channel 53 back to 7. If you can get their analog on 7 it should work digitally come '09.

The 91XG won't pick up channel 7.

There is no mandated move to UHF.

Stations got to pick what actual transmitting frequency they wanted. A large majority got their pick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)