Digital vs. Analog antenna power.

Melnic

Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I was researching the transmitter tower info of the two rural stations that broadcast around my 2nd home.
Both transmit a regular UHF as well as a digital subchannel that is HD.
I noticed that the digital transmitter power was significantly less than the regular antenna power. Does Digital carry further using the same power????
These two stations are about 30 miles from me (Ocean City MD).
WBOC
TV Query Results -- Video Division (FCC) USA
WMDT
TV Query Results -- Video Division (FCC) USA

Right now I have rabbit ears on top of the TV. I get WBOC good at night and fuzzy mostly mid day. WMDT is not viewable enough to watch.

I'm planning on putting a UHF only high gain antenna on the back corner of the house. Local rules say I'm not supposed to have anything showing from the front of the house. The stations locations are only 3degrees apart from my back yard and the house does not block the line of site (or lack of site w/ the trees). I can only get 15' in the air an comply w/ that rule.
Dunno what the stations plan to do when they have to go all digital.

Suggestions on an antenna?

I suggest before you invest in a UHF only antenna, that you find out for certain where you're locals are going frequency-wise. Search around for "final frequencies" or similar. Digital has somewhat different properties, but being inherently more able to get out isn't one of them.

I use a VHF/UHF/FM antenna that seems to be perpetually on sale at RS at 50+ miles. As long as it clears the roof of your home, it should be fine. Make sure that when you begin to aim it, you understand whether your headings are True North or Magnetic North.

melnic: i don't which antenna to use but as far as the placement on your house u state 'local rules'. is that a homeowners assn.? the "OTARD" laws enacted in 1996 state in part that no organization/group can prevent a party from sending/receiving a signal for television/communication. they cannot prevent u from locating antenna on the front of your house if that's where u will get the best signal. certain exceptions apply. no more than 12' above roofline and not in a common area. also, if it is in an historic district. I forget the website where this info is located. try antennaweb.org. there is more to this than my brief comments. pud

Here is a link to the OTARD rules. FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas
The rule (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) has been in effect since October 1996, and it prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37") in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.
Effective January 22, 1999, the Commission amended the rule so that it also applies to rental property where the renter has an exclusive use area, such as a balcony or patio.
On October 25, 2000, the Commission further amended the rule so that it applies to customer-end antennas that receive and transmit fixed wireless signals. This amendment became effective on May 25, 2001.
The rule applies to individuals who place antennas that meet size limitations on property that they own or rent and that is within their exclusive use or control, including condominium owners and cooperative owners, and tenants who have an area where they have exclusive use, such as a balcony or patio, in which to install the antenna. The rule applies to townhomes and manufactured homes, as well as to single family homes.

Thanks Voyager.
I have a perfect spot on the back corner for a J bracket. Like the current satellite dish location on my roof, no one would ever see it anyway unless they were in the back corner of the lot trying to get into my shed. The homeowners assn is a bunch of "you know whats" they even went to court to have a guy remove a really nice home eddition because they would not approve it because it was 2' beyond their build out limits.
They have a satellite permit form (even I already knew though they can't) which if you sign it, your agreeing to remove it if they don't like the location or you don't cover it w/ plants so it can't be seen.

Thanks Voyager.
I have a perfect spot on the back corner for a J bracket. Like the current satellite dish location on my roof, no one would ever see it anyway unless they were in the back corner of the lot trying to get into my shed. The homeowners assn is a bunch of "you know whats" they even went to court to have a guy remove a really nice home eddition because they would not approve it because it was 2' beyond their build out limits.
They have a satellite permit form (even I already knew though they can't) which if you sign it, your agreeing to remove it if they don't like the location or you don't cover it w/ plants so it can't be seen.

Make em' sue you - call in the FCC then watch 'em pout when they lose. Don't sign the form.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)