Digiwave 1.2m dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

janz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Southern Ontario
I am planning to add motorized 1.2m dish to my collection.
This is the link to the dish I can buy locally.

Digiwave Dish

Please let me know if you have any experience with this dish.
Is it possible to motorize this dish?

-- Jan

Should be possible to motorize it, although it will be on the heavy side for an SG-2100. If you can buy it locally, that is a real plus, as shipping on these things costs as much as the dish itself...

some encouragement

Tron brings up a good point. Anything over about 36" (90cm) gets very expensive to ship.
So, local pickup may save you quite a bit of money.

The link you gave is for the Canadian distributor/importer, so there were no prices.
I'll assume you've verified you are getting a good deal.

While I don't have that dish, and haven't read any reports on it, there are a couple of good things to mention.
1). it has the side support struts on the LNB holder.
2). it has a big elevation adjustment screw.
Both are a major plus in maintaining and achieving proper alignment.

When you get the dish and before you assemble it, place it face down on a large flat surface.
Make sure the rim of the dish touches all the way around.
That helps test to make sure the reflector is not warped.
If it is, there are some tricks, but let's assume yours is perfect. - :up

There are threads on the forum about putting similar large dishes on little SG2100 motors, and while they don't seem to be a good match, we have folks who swear by 'em.
One thing is to get the larger 50mm replacement tube.
Since that's around $12 or more, some members just shim the existing motor tube with a piece of plastic pipe, slit up one side.
You should read threads here on mounting Primestar dishes on SG2100 motors, for more info on the subject.

Let us know as you make progress, and post pictures.
That'll get you plenty of help and encouragement.

Never seen the digiwave, most people around my area use the Fortec or Geosat 1.2, from what I have seen the Geosat is better quality than the Fortec, I use a Patriot 1.1 meter myself I did have a Fortec but was not happy with it.

Right now my garden is covered by 3 ft of snow but I am already planning for the spring/summer season considering all my options.

The 1.2m dish is $136 Canadian + TAX. It is not in the stock at this moment but they used to have it and they can get it again if I ask. Another option is 39’ Ariza for about $60-70.

I discovered today I can buy new 6’ prime focus Fortec Star with polar mount for $130 + TAX from another local source. If I know I can get as good Ku on this dish as on the 1.2 m offset I will go for it. The motorized setup would be more expensive but I would get some C as a bonus.

I double checked the price of the 6’ prime focus Fortec Star because I was surprised by it.

I already have motorized Ku system with average size dish at high spot with wide LOS but with inconvenient access for service. I am in the trouble when the dish loses alignment in the winter. I also would like to get more serious setup because I am playing with FTA already few years and I like it.

From what I read the best solution would be 1.2m offset dish for Ku and 6’ prime focus for C. I can not have both or bigger C dish because of limited space where I can install it and the wife factor. Originally for some time I considered 8-10 ft 4dtv BUD system but it looks it is out of the question now. What is my best option?

My two concerns with the solid 6’ prime focus are:
The dish will be on the 8 ft pole to get acceptable LOS and not interfere with snow on the ground.
Would the dish withstand heavy winds and snowfalls?
Can I so precisely set up the dish to have as good Ku reception as on the offset dish?
What will give me better satisfaction in reception of wild feeds?
- 6’ prime focus with C / Ku
- 1.2 offset with Ku

-- Jan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)