Dilemma for a Prodigal Daughter...

Vicki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 25, 2004
Rocklin, CA--near Sacramento
I was a subscriber from May 2004 until the end of October, but they just couldn’t get my OTA coming in reliably. Basic service with my cable company is a whopping $46!! I can’t afford $65 for VOOM and $46 for locals. After several installation fiascoes and shelling out $150 for repairs to my tile roof after some of the bozo installers they sent me, I gave up and silently crawled back to cable. I now pay $72 for cable HD, and am getting only NBC, WB, FOX, UPN and Discovery HD. They are “still negotiating” for HD on CBS and ABC (been at that for about 2 years now!) and have plans for a DVR, but “not this year” (read, not in your lifetime, old gal :rolleyes: ).
Upon hearing of the DVR projected delivery by March, I had been monitoring this forum again and was ready to become the Prodigal Daughter with VOOM!! I was getting ready to gamble on getting a better installer and/or OTA antenna (or to climb up there and do it myself if need be, with anticipated guidance from the many kind souls on this forum :D ). And to wait patiently (again) for the DVR, provided it could be leased. I can’t afford to buy it, but it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me if purchase was the only option. My deal breaker is the OTA.

Even with the current news, I find myself wondering it I shouldn’t just jump back in and wait to see where all this goes. Even if VOOM goes dark (which I fervently hope it doesn’t), there might be some value to coming back—apart from the thrill of all that HD again, which I’ve really missed!

If VOOM could come up with an antenna that would reliably deliver my locals, I could just stick with OTA (my TV has a built in tuner) until VOOM comes back or somebody else offers something close to VOOM. Also potential offers that might come from E* or D* might be worthwhile if VOOM really does depart.

My biggest reservation is that I would have to pay for two services until it becomes clear whether or when VOOM goes dark, or to pay another $65 reconnection fee if I eventually have to go back to cable :no :river .

I just got off the phone with my local Sears, and they are still selling VOOM. I’ve read lots of comments that lead one to think perhaps VOOM will be here at least until the warranty runs out on STBs that were purchased. Also comments that they are still taking orders and keeping install dates, and of course, the CSR’s saying the DVR and new channels are still on the horizon. These types of things make me think there may still be hope, but I don’t plan to decide until after the end of this month. If they don’t pull the plug on 1/31, I think I may still jump back in.

My question to those of you who have other services is…Are you still seeing VOOM advertisements on TV? I haven’t been watching much TV lately, but in December and earlier this month, I recall seeing a lot of spots for the $1 installation deal. I can understand that print advertisements might still be coming out, since they have to start production quite a while prior to the publication dates, but it seems to me that it should be very easy to pull TV ads if a final decision is reached. I may be wrong about that, but if ads are still running, I think it might be a positive sign, and will give further thought to “crawling back home to VOOM!”. :D :eek:

My other question is whether or not anyone else who signed up under the free install deal and then cancelled has later signed up as a “new customer” under the $1 install deal? I will be willing to try again under the $1 install, but can’t afford to pay for installation or equipment.

Thanks to all of you who share your expertise and knowledge!! :bow :clap :heart I plan to hold out hope that Paul Harvey will come on any minute to tell us: “and now friends, for the rest of the story….” (Hoping that I remember correctly that the “rest of the story” was usually uplifting!) :rainbow :bounce :up

Vicki

I can answer one question

The ads for Voom on Discovery HD are still showing, at least one an hour

3 Room, one dollar

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts