For Some there is an intelligent alternative !!!

V

Voomster

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 21, 2004
67
0
SF Bay Area

The more I thought about it, the more I realize that the three choices left
Dish, Direct and Comcast in my opinion are just not worth the money, all are very overpriced for what HD content they give you. And no matter what the price I just don't see the value of it. :eek:

I get 41 OTA local digital and HD channels with my Weingard Digital Antenna and rotor and I'll subscribe to NetFlix for an unlimited amount of DVD for about $ 13.00 per month rental. I'll kind of be my own service prvider :(

Comcast two room setup with HD DVR and the VaVaComcast package
even with the $ 25.00 per month / 16 month bonus still costs about $150. per month with fees and taxes , Direct requires equipment and Tivo which amounts to a monthly change just for the prividlge of having a HD DVR which is BullSh*t and the Dish option just seems valueless. :no

give me Voom or Give me (OTA) and NetFlix's :mad:

That my alternative

the Voomster :rainbow
 
1080iBeVuMin

1080iBeVuMin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 29, 2004
915
0
Santa Rosa, CA
Solid reasoning! But no OTA in my area, so I can't do that part.

I will just stick with movie rentals and movie theaters until a TV programming provider earns my business again with lots of quality commercial-free HD.
 
L

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 22, 2004
496
0
I would consider that but I actually enjoy a lot of the SD channels. I dont' know what I'd do without at least one or two news channels or the discovery channels. I suppose if I didn't have tv I could always just go outside and play....
 
betsig250

betsig250

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 2, 2005
77
0
You are getting seriously ripped off from Comcast. I got a 3 room setup with 1 HDDVR and 2 digital receivers with their digital package with HD plus HBO and Starz for 65 bucks a month. Even if I added the last 3 premium packages that will make my total bill under 100 a month still.

Waiting as we speak to get installed.
 
Andrew B

Andrew B

SatelliteGuys Family
Supporting Founder
Dec 31, 2004
56
0
Rescue, CA
We have decided to just let it all go black. When my wife and I started our own business in 1991, we stopped watching TV altogether for about 6 years. Had no time for it. Honestly, I didn't miss Friends, or any of the other shows that were popular at the time. When we did pick up a new provider, I was rather insulted at what was showing. It was tough for us to find decent programming that wasn't presented at a 5th grade level.
Although I will miss some of the educational shows and some of the concerts, I figure it is time to go out and DO SOMETHING rather than just watch others do it on TV.
Maybe I can lose the thirty pounds I've gained over the last few years!
:D

Not an option for everyone, but I just can't go back to watching insulting shows in SD. I could handle some of them in HD since I could always be impressed with the picture quality (as opposed to the writing quality). I would rather not watch anything for now. (ps - If SACD's stopped being produced, I wouldn't go back to 8-tracks either)... ;)
 
B

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2005
568
0
After all the research into the alternatives, all of the uncertainties about warranties, equipment going obsolete, extra monthly fees, lack of local HD, the lack of choice, hassles with getting Canadian StarChoice, lackluster SD quality, puny HD offerings--wow--$10/month for 5 channels--that's $2/channel--uh, uh, no promises of any future HD (except one Dish CSR who said to wait until after April 30 for a Dish offer for VOOM customers, I will wait, wait, wait.

It is spring, lots to do outside and will go with DVD's, C-band satellite for now.

Too bad ALL 40,000 of the VOOM ex customers couldn't have waited --even could have done a "VOOM-OUT" for 2 weeks--using our purses to pull the punches to get these D* and E* people to start coughing up the HD.

Well, they certainly have no incentive now--everyone is going over in droves to their services (except for those who have Cable), but we could have, perhaps, made a difference if we could

...just have held out and just stood our ground by not subscribing to ANYTHING until somebody started coming up with something. DISHNet is already advertising CBS HD from the 61.5 bird--but it does none of us anygood who are not in the DNS cities.

Yes, there is life before after VOOM, but why is everyone so quick to jump into the quicksand?

I am going to spend the time I would have watched HD, writing to my congressmen about FCC, etc, etc and find out about that group that is lobbying for competition in DBS. It will save me some $$$ by not subscribing to something I really don't even want.
 
1080iBeVuMin

1080iBeVuMin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 29, 2004
915
0
Santa Rosa, CA
A couple of great posts!

Andrew B said:
We have decided to just let it all go black....
It was tough for us to find decent programming that wasn't presented at a 5th grade level....
Although I will miss some of the educational shows and some of the concerts, I figure it is time to go out and DO SOMETHING rather than just watch others do it on TV....
Maybe I can lose the thirty pounds I've gained over the last few years!...
I just can't go back to watching insulting shows in SD. I could handle some of them in HD since I could always be impressed with the picture quality (as opposed to the writing quality). I would rather not watch anything for now...
BRAVO! WELL SAID!
bookwalk said:
...Too bad ALL 40,000 of the VOOM ex customers couldn't have waited --even could have done a "VOOM-OUT" for 2 weeks--using our purses to pull the punches to get these D* and E* people to start coughing up the HD.... Well, they certainly have no incentive now--everyone is going over in droves to their services (except for those who have Cable), but we could have, perhaps, made a difference if we could just have held out and just stood our ground by not subscribing to ANYTHING until somebody started coming up with something....
Yes, there is life after VOOM, but why is everyone so quick to jump into the quicksand?
COMPLETELY AGREE!
bookwalk said:
...I am going to spend the time I would have watched HD, writing to my congressmen about FCC, etc, etc and find out about that group that is lobbying for competition in DBS. It will save me some $$$ by not subscribing to something I really don't even want.
I am totally on board with these posts. Perhaps we 40,000 proud Voomers could have coordinated through SatelliteGuys.US to throw some muscle around! We might not have made an economic impact, but we could have attracted some media attention and made a difference in the battle for HD.

It is disappointing how many Voomers could not even wait for the lights to go out before jumping ship to various HD-Lite services. I guess the Voomers who complained about bad PQ and not enough HD are all signed up and cozy with HD-Lite now.

Grrrrrr.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

My system will go dark when Voom ends.
 
L

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 22, 2004
496
0
Hey, I signed up with cable so I wouldn't be locked in. I'm ready to throw my weight around (all 150 pounds of it) and jump off the cable ship and into the battle for HD if needed!!!
 
Indy

Indy

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 13, 2004
979
23
Indiana
1080iBeVuMin said:
BRAVO! WELL SAID!
COMPLETELY AGREE!
I am totally on board with these posts. Perhaps we 40,000 proud Voomers could have coordinated through SatelliteGuys.US to throw some muscle around! We might not have made an economic impact, but we could have attracted some media attention and made a difference in the battle for HD.

It is disappointing how many Voomers could not even wait for the lights to go out before jumping ship to various HD-Lite services. I guess the Voomers who complained about bad PQ and not enough HD are all signed up and cozy with HD-Lite now.

Grrrrrr.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

My system will go dark when Voom ends.

I am going to guess there are only a handful of Voomers here at this site. Maybe a couple of hundred give or take. How would 2 tenths of one percent of the Voom customers sway or start a movement of the remaining 99.8% of the Voom customers? Not too likely but stranger things have happened in the past I'm sure.
 
J

jeslevine

Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 12, 2005
416
4
150 bucks with 25 dollar discount and two DVRs from comcast does not add up:

1. Platinum packages: 98.17
2. two HD DVRs : 20.00/month

Total 118.17

minus 25 dollar discount:

total is 93.17

where do you come up with your 150 dollar amount?
 
Tvlman

Tvlman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 29, 2004
817
0
Surf City.CA
Good idea. There are DVD's and even books you know. Those who have OTA are fortunate but how about waiting? What will we miss? The NBA playoffs go on for nearly 2 months! Netflix is a great idea!
 
DarrellP

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
4,298
0
Salem, OR
Voomster said:

I'll subscribe to NetFlix for an unlimited amount of DVD for about $ 13.00 per month rental. I'll kind of be my own service prvider :(

:rainbow

I just oredered an upconverting DVD player, it shipped today, so I should have it installed by the time Voom goes dark. I'm doing the same thing except I am going with Ball Buster since it's right down the street from me and it includes a free rental/month from the store.
 
B

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 10, 2005
568
0
Indy said:
I am going to guess there are only a handful of Voomers here at this site. Maybe a couple of hundred give or take. How would 2 tenths of one percent of the Voom customers sway or start a movement of the remaining 99.8% of the Voom customers? Not too likely but stranger things have happened in the past I'm sure.

If Installers, Inc got the 40,000 Voom customer list, can't we find someone on this forum who works for Installs, Inc who can get it too and we can form a group and figure out how, with help of other forum members to get in touch with all the VOOM customers and use our numbers to make a statement.

A VOOM-IN--for 2 - 4 weeks, where we ask them all to NOT subscribe to ANYTHING. Use those numbers to let various people know what we are willing and not wiling to put up with.

Join hands with the DBS Competition group, but change the name, etc.

Use our numbers to ask former VOOMERS to contact congressmen, call D* and E* voicing concerns, etc--get some media coverage.

If we just loll back into hum-drum "watch whatever I can get" attitude, we are subject to this 2 BIG Bullies in the Satellite TV world.

I posted under another thread under News and Developments a more detailed suggestion along these lines, but it really needs its own thread--need some ideas for the title that will, at least, get attention of the VOOMERS still checking the Forum.
 
Indy

Indy

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 13, 2004
979
23
Indiana
bookwalk said:
If Installers, Inc got the 40,000 Voom customer list, can't we find someone on this forum who works for Installs, Inc who can get it too and we can form a group and figure out how, with help of other forum members to get in touch with all the VOOM customers and use our numbers to make a statement.

A VOOM-IN--for 2 - 4 weeks, where we ask them all to NOT subscribe to ANYTHING. Use those numbers to let various people know what we are willing and not wiling to put up with.

Join hands with the DBS Competition group, but change the name, etc.

Use our numbers to ask former VOOMERS to contact congressmen, call D* and E* voicing concerns, etc--get some media coverage.

If we just loll back into hum-drum "watch whatever I can get" attitude, we are subject to this 2 BIG Bullies in the Satellite TV world.

I posted under another thread under News and Developments a more detailed suggestion along these lines, but it really needs its own thread--need some ideas for the title that will, at least, get attention of the VOOMERS still checking the Forum.

And I thought I was hopelessly optimistic about saving Voom. One ingredient you seem to overlook on the whole issue is MONEY. This is why CV is closing the doors on Voom. It is loosing way too much MONEY to make any business sense to keep it open. 40K subscribers will not float the Voom boat nor will 40K voices change the outcome. Get a grip man. I know we are all frustrated here but unless a miracle happens I don't see any hope that Voom will survive.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top