Dilemma

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

R0ss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Ayer, Ma
I am one of the "few" subs that has the 110/119/61.5 set up. Thus I am unable to receive the newly launched HD channels. I am just about ready to call Dish and have an 1000.4 put in. However the one thing that keeps me from calling is rain fade. Typically when it rains the HD's (61.5) go out for a while (this can be a few minutes to an hour depending on the severity of the storm). Since we have the 110/119 we also have the SD's so unless the storm is extremely intense we will still be able to watch TV. Interestingly the signal strength for 61.5 is 10 points higher than 110/119 rain or shine. I realize that there will always be some rain/snow fade no mater how well peaked the dish is, just want that to be clear.
I am interested in hearing from anyone that lives in Central Massachusetts or Southern New Hampshire that has switched from a hybrid setup to pure EA set up. Is your rain fade worse or better? How about signal strength did you loose or gain? Are you happy that you switched (aside from getting the channels that you couldn't receive before the switch)?
Of course opinions from anyone are welcome.

Ross

I hope you get some responses, but if rain or snow fade was a BIG issue, I'd seriously weigh getting cable.

I have the same installation + 72.7 here in the Binghamton NY area. Rain fade has not been a serious issue for me, and we have had some pretty bad storms. Unless you have trees in the way you may have an alignment issue.

I had an EA dish installed last week. Shortly after the installer left, we had a pretty strong thunderstorm and lost the signal for about 5 minutes, which was about the same as would happen when I had 110/119/61.5. It rained all day this past Wednesday, sometimes pretty hard without a problem. The SS seems to be, on average, about 10 points lower on 61.5. I'd say go for it!

The rain fade you are having is one of the problems of the weak signals from the 61.5 satellite. However, I don't believe that they are any worse with the 1000.4 dish. My son has one. You could do what I did, point my 61.5 dish at 129, problem over. Your installer may do that for you, easier than installing a new dish unless you have line of sight problems. Another option is for the installer to install a 1000.5 dish which is larger than the .4 and it is in their installation manual for the installers to use this in areas like Massachusetts. Bet most installers have never heard of it though.

Boston SD Locals

The Boston SD locals are on 110 tp 26. You may want to check to see if they are also on EA. I do not believe that they are, but I am not positive.

The rain fade you are having is one of the problems of the weak signals from the 61.5 satellite. However, I don't believe that they are any worse with the 1000.4 dish. My son has one. You could do what I did, point my 61.5 dish at 129, problem over. Your installer may do that for you, easier than installing a new dish unless you have line of sight problems. Another option is for the installer to install a 1000.5 dish which is larger than the .4 and it is in their installation manual for the installers to use this in areas like Massachusetts. Bet most installers have never heard of it though.

129 is to low on the horizon, I will keep the 1000.5 in mind thanks

The Boston SD locals are on 110 tp 26. You may want to check to see if they are also on EA. I do not believe that they are, but I am not positive.
The only Boston SD locals on EA are those that are SD only anyway, i.e. PBS, WMUR, and a couple other odd stations. However everything on EA is MPEG4 so will need upgraded secondary receiver.

Ross

I had an EA dish installed last week. Shortly after the installer left, we had a pretty strong thunderstorm and lost the signal for about 5 minutes, which was about the same as would happen when I had 110/119/61.5. It rained all day this past Wednesday, sometimes pretty hard without a problem. The SS seems to be, on average, about 10 points lower on 61.5. I'd say go for it!

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)