Diplexer, Diseq, Switch, What ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Technojunky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Jensen Beach, FL
Can someone who knows all of this, not part of it, but all of it, explain the differences, and uses of these devices, with examples? Are some of these the same device by another name, are some interchangable, or is one better than the other for the same purpose. Which cost more? Which have a wide degree of quality, in that one would have to be careful about what they were buying? Maybe the full scoop on these devices will make it into the Hall of Fame of Noob articles. Thanks in advance for a job well done. JM

I dunno about hall of fame, but here goes:

Diplexor - this lets you share a cable to pass both baseband video and the satellite signal. You need a Diplexor on both ends for this to work. These are often used to bring an Over The Air antenna's signal to a Set Top Box for HDTV local channels. I've used 'em to pass analog cable and the satellite signal on the same cable. They worked great :).

DiSEqC switch - these are used with FTA recievers (or any reciever that is DiSEqC 1.0 compliant). These are used to connect multiple LNBS or even multiple dishes to a single reciever. They come in 2x1 and 4x1 varieties.

22K switch - these a 2 in, 1 out. 22k tone on or off controls the switch. It is functionally about the same as a DiSEqC switch.

Multi-switch - These are used for both DirecTV and FTA. One of these will let a dual LNB feed as many recievers as the multi-switch will allow. This is how DirecTV can connect 4 rooms on one dish.

Dish Network has their own flavor of switches that are kind of a hybrid between DiSEqC and Multi-switches. These are specific to the Dish Network recievers and LNBs you have.

I hope this helps.

Good explanation. To add a few points:

When visualizing how diplexors fit in, especially with regards to "you need a diplexor on both ends", just think in terms of a highway with entrance ramps and exit ramps. For example, the "primary" cable might be running from your LNB to your satellite receiver. This is the "highway". When you'd like to add your antenna signal to that same primary cable, you'll insert one diplexor near the LNB and antenna to combine them onto the single cable, and this is the "entrance ramp". Then somewhere down the line, probably right at your TV, you'll insert another diplexor, to separate them back out to the TV and the satellite receiver, and this is the "exit ramp". Corny, but it might help. :)

(In reality, a diplexor is just a special kind of combiner.)

DiSEqC is really the name of a technology, "Digital Satellite Equipment Control". DiSEqC-capable receivers are the controllers and they send digitally encoded commands to DiSEqC devices. The only two classes of devices I know of are switches, explained above, and positioner motors. A USALS motor is just a DiSEqC 2.0 (or is it 2.1?) motor with support for "GOTO X" command where X is an offset angle from true south.

Also, I believe multiswitches, at least DirecTV's, are all 22K switches. There was a nice one I was looking at last year that is a 2-to-8 switch, 2 LNBs to 8 receivers (or 8 DiSEqC switch inputs).

Thanks to all who replied to this thread. This will help Newb's everywhere.

One question about Diplexer operation. Is there a limit to what frequency range, or types of signals you can mix with your Sat signal and still have the diplexer do its job? Say, a RF out of a video game, or output of a Tivo?

It's too bad that someone doesn't design a diplexer that will let you mix S-video, and L-R audio with SAT.

Joe

you can usually use the rf output on anything (receiver, video game, vcr, whatever) the only problem with that can come if you are trying to do it over a real long run... most products are designed to output really far away from the tv so they might not have a very high power output...
with that said, i have diplexed all kinds of products and very rarely have a problem with signal quality or interference.
so if you are wanting to push the signal on a very long run you may notice some problems, but most likely it will work fine

Shawn95GT said:
[snip]...lets you share a cable to pass both baseband video and the satellite signal....[/snip]

Actually, thats FM/VHF/UHF + L-band Satellite signal.. Its basically a band-pass power-pass splitter/combiner. It takes the 50-850mhz (FM/VHF/UHF) signal, and combines it with the 950-2150mhz L-band IF of Satellite signals, then splits it at the other end.

Baseband video is the same as Composite video (for all intents and purposes), which is the yellow RCA jack on most video devices.

ultatryon said:
Actually, thats FM/VHF/UHF + L-band Satellite signal.. Its basically a band-pass power-pass splitter/combiner. It takes the 50-850mhz (FM/VHF/UHF) signal, and combines it with the 950-2150mhz L-band IF of Satellite signals, then splits it at the other end.

Baseband video is the same as Composite video (for all intents and purposes), which is the yellow RCA jack on most video devices.
Cool - I wasn't sure if that was the right word for it - which it obviously wasn't ;)

So what's the laymens term for it, RF video? I guess (FM/VHF/UHF) fits the bill :yes

Shawn

VHF/UHF works pretty good, because it may not necessarily be Video (such as digital carriers for modems or digital video) and RF is too broad..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts