Diplexers and SWM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Space
I have a job to do for someone. They want to watch what is on their living room TV in their other room. The living room has a box and the other does not. I know I will need an RF modulator to get coax but I have a question about the diplexer.

What I have are "ASKA SCS-2A" diplexers. They make ones that are "SWM" approved, but is there really a difference in the diplexers? The SWM approved says 2-2150 MHz while the ASKA says 5-2150 MHz. I imagine this difference is negligible. Nevertheless, I have no way of testing it out before I go to the job site, so I wanted to post here before wasting time or to assure myself.

I have the ASKA's from some Dish installs. It is a Dish-approved type diplexer but I can't imagine it can be that special.

Thanks in advance guys.

Diplexing with SWM is always "iffy" (and can't be done at all if the customer has WHDVR, because the frequencies overlap).
Even with SWM on its own, many diplexers don't work because they don't pass the control signal that comes from the receivers to the SWM system, which is at 2MHz. Unless you know someone that has been successful with the diplexers you are proposing, the only way to know is to try them. And even if someone else has had success, that may not translate into success in your installation because the diplexers might attenuate the 2MHz signal so it is too low on long cable runs.

Thanks for the reply.

"Try" seems to be the consensus.

However, next question: will "trying" possibly harm anything?

Thanks again.

"Try" seems to be the consensus.

However, next question: will "trying" possibly harm anything?

First, DOES this customer have MRV &/or Cinema Connection (broadband) thru the SWM coax network???
If they DO, then forget it - it WILL cause problems!

(now assuming they do NOT have eithe MRV/CC)
Yes, there IS a difference between those 2 diplexers; use the SWM approved ones & you should be OK.
I've done this a couple times before & it worked fine - but this was BEFORE MRV/CC came...as already stated, YMMV...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts