Diplexing a satellite input and output to 2 nd TV

utcheme

Original poster
May 7, 2005
Hi,

I m new to the forum and this might seem like a dumb qustion but here it goes. I want to use one receiver for 2 TV s and I want to use my existing cables prewired in my house. Here is the scenario:

I am running a rg-6 line from my sw 21 switch (outside) to my junction box in my house. From there I am directly connecting the wire to the appropriate cable outlet where my receiver is. I want to send the decoded signal to another TV upstairs which is connect to the junction box also. Would diplexing the signal work to get the signal upstairs?
If not, what would?

Any help is appreciated.

Well, if you've got a main junction in your basement with feed running to everywhere you want, then yeah, just diplex the output back to the junction (always using 2 diplexers of course). You will need to split the output from your reciever first so that you HAVE an extra output to diplex. Then, once you get to your main junction with the output signal from the diplexer, you can feed it to whatever you want. Or, get a (high quality for less fuzz) splittler and put the output to EVERY TV in your house! YEAH!!! :D I hope your remote is UHF. ;)

make sure you hook up the diplexer right. you can pass satellite through a diplexer backwards, and it won't act right down the road, or you may have satellite signal but no secondary tv

What freq range do I need for Dish Network di-plexer?

What frequency range do I need for a Dish Network di-plexer? Do I need DC pass on SAT only?

joshschuler said:
make sure you hook up the diplexer right. you can pass satellite through a diplexer backwards, and it won't act right down the road, or you may have satellite signal but no secondary tv

Is there a good site to visit that shows clear diagrams on the various uses of the diplexor? My installer screwed up my internal wiring, and could only figure out how to combine OTA/Sat or decoded/Sat, but not both at the same time as it was before he got there. :mad:

Quote {{ I want to send the decoded signal to another TV upstairs which is connect to the junction box also. Would diplexing the signal work to get the signal upstairs?}}

Why do you want to use a di-plexor?
If you are talking about using the RF out from the Sat Rec (decoded) and sending that signal to another set just split it and route it. keep it simple!!

rcbridge said:
Why do you want to use a di-plexor?
If you are talking about using the RF out from the Sat Rec (decoded) and sending that signal to another set just split it and route it. keep it simple!!

It sounds like he only has one cable running to each TV. And he doesn't want to run new cable. The one cable he has running to the reciever is being used as the satellite feed. He could split it and 'route it' but that involves either a second line or a diplexor.

If I understand correctly at this time you have the output from the SW21 feeding your junction box.
Is this the only input to your junction box?

If so you need to di-plex the signal coming from your J-box use the high side for the sat feed, then take the RF from the sat box and connect it to a second di-plexor (low side) connect the low side from the first di-plexor to the cable going to your second set. When you purchase your diplexors make sure the low side will not pass DC.

scottabs said:
Is there a good site to visit that shows clear diagrams on the various uses of the diplexor? My installer screwed up my internal wiring, and could only figure out how to combine OTA/Sat or decoded/Sat, but not both at the same time as it was before he got there. :mad:
You will not be able to diplex OTA (VHF and UHF) and a backfeed from the receiver (VHF or UHF) as they are both in the below 900 MHz range. One will work with the Sat signal as it is above that.
-Ken

KKlare said:
You will not be able to diplex OTA (VHF and UHF) and a backfeed from the receiver (VHF or UHF) as they are both in the below 900 MHz range. One will work with the Sat signal as it is above that.
-Ken

I probably did a poor job of explaining my previous setup. I think the diplexers were only used before the STB to compine the OTA and LNB feed. I then also combined the backfeed from one of the STB's with the antenna to feed the rest of the TV's, so I guess no diplexer was used at that point. I think (could be wrong), that there was also a modulater involved to set the SAT backfeed to channel 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts