Diplexing OTA & Sirius satellite radio

Stern_howie

Original poster
Feb 6, 2010
Toronto
Hello,

Soon I will be putting up an OTA antenna near my outdoor Sirius antenna. I want to diplex the signals together into 1 RG6 cable.

I have the following Kit but I didn't have to use the diplexers that came with it.
Home Signal Distribution Kit ? Satellite TV + SIRIUS - Shop Sirius Satellite Radio

I suspect I can't use these for OTA/Sirius, is there anything out there that would work?

I really don't understand the different frequencies involved, could someone provide a link to something, maybe on ebay? or anything on the web that would work.

thanks!

I don't see why not. The purpose of a diplexer is to combine "low band" TV signals (30-800MHz) with microwave band signals from satellite antennas (typically 1GHz up; I think Sirius is 4GHz), and then to split them back out of the common feed line when you're close to the receiver. AFAIK, all "satellite" diplexers are basically of the same construction, and there's some variance in quality, but it's generally not night-and-day. They're also useful for combining cablemodem service with OTA signals, since cable modems use microwave frequencies, too. Unless the off-the-shelf diplexers have severe inefficiencies above 3GHz, I'd say give it a shot.

Diplexers by nature are power hogs. So using one in a fringe area might not work as well as you think. If the Diplexer has a loss rate of 3.5 DB - more then half of the television signal will be lost in the diplexer.

Where did you get the 3.5 dB number? Diplexers are usually more like 0.5 dB.

Splitters traditionally have the 3.5 dB loss, because they divide the signal equally between two branches, diplexers seperate different frequencies to each branch and signal at each frequency remains unsplit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)