Status
Please reply by conversation.

Digital Dude

Home Theater Editor
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
SHADO
Does anyone know what frequency a video signal from a security camera occupies? I need to diplex a composite video feed from a security camera DVR and DirecTV to a monitor and am curious if a standard diplexor will work.

Thanks

Composite video feeds can't be diplexed.

On your DirecTV, I assume you are talking about the feed from the receiver into the VIDEO INPUT of the monitor.

Now, if you are coming into the RF or Antenna input and watching DirecTV on, say, channel 3, then what you have to do is get an RF modulator for the security camera feed. Then you can diplex the two. Put the security camera feed modulator on channel 4 and the DirecTV receiver on channel 3.

sheridan is exactly correct. I did this for a customer and it worked good. The only thing is I had to set the modulator to channel 123, the camera picture came in really good when set to this channel.

A composite video feed is likely to occupy 0 to 5 Mhz more or less. If your talking about the line from the receiver to the dish I think that the LNB voltage and polarity switching voltages from the Receiver are incompatible with the security video. If your talking about the line with video from the receiver to the monitor then positely it won't work as they are both the same frequency.

I modulated the video signal with an rf modulator to ch.3 and diplexed it out of the wall behind the DTV box with the video feed being hooked to the rf in in the TV and the directv to composite in so PIP would work.
Thanks

Yes the answer is Modulate the Video signal. If you are not using any other cable or off air signals then a simple channel 3 or 4 modulator would work. (an old VCR would work just fine instead of buying a separate modulator) any way about it you need to change the video signal to an RF signal. If you buy a av modulator you can set that channel to any channel you like from 2-125 on the cable spectrum. 2-65 or so on the air spectrum. If you have more than one security camera just get a 2 input modulator and you can make one camera channel "x" and one camera channel "xx" Once you have made your "mini broadcasting station" for you video signal then diplex away!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts