Diplexing through an AT-9?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jimmiepens

Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Is it true that I cannot diplex my OTA through an AT-9 set-up? If so, does that mean I have to pay D* for something that I can receive for free...unless I run more coax to each receiver??

jimmiepens said:
Is it true that I cannot diplex my OTA through an AT-9 set-up? If so, does that mean I have to pay D* for something that I can receive for free...unless I run more coax to each receiver??
Yes it is true,
I'd personanlly run another line, much cheaper than paying D* for something you already have.

Jimbo

Last edited:
That is correct, you cannot diplex with AT9, as it occupies the frequencies used for the diplexing channel.

And no, you don't have to pay D*, you can run your own line(s).

If D* provides your HD locals via the AT9/H20, than, as far as they are concerned, you got the HD locals they promised, and, uuless I am mistaken, they may or may not install OTA coax for you free. Now if the ONLY way to get your locals ARE via OTA, than D* would most likely do it free without asking.

EDIT: Jimbos beat me to it. ;)

Running another line...cheap?

Running another line to 6 receivers spanning 3 floors(with no crawl space)is not going to be cheap, unless I lay it across the carpet, up the steps, through bathroom, draped over the chandelier...you get my point...

damaged said:
That is correct, you cannot diplex with AT9, as it occupies the frequencies used for the diplexing channel.

And no, you don't have to pay D*, you can run your own line(s).

If D* provides your HD locals via the AT9/H20, than, as far as they are concerned, you got the HD locals they promised, and, uuless I am mistaken, they may or may not install OTA coax for you free. Now if the ONLY way to get your locals ARE via OTA, than D* would most likely do it free without asking.

EDIT: Jimbos beat me to it. ;)

I don't think I would expect them to run the line for free, if they do thats great, just don't ecpect it...

Jimbo

jimmiepens said:
Running another line to 6 receivers spanning 3 floors(with no crawl space)is not going to be cheap, unless I lay it across the carpet, up the steps, through bathroom, draped over the chandelier...you get my point...

'draped over the chandelier', nice one. :)

Yes, I get your point. :)

I have no answers for you other than what has already been presented.

Let is know what you decide, and how it goes. Good luck.

jimmiepens said:
I bet you can still run them yourself MUCH cheaper than D* will charge you.
You might want to calll a local installer and ask what kind of fee they charge.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
I don't think I would expect them to run the line for free, if they do thats great, just don't ecpect it...

Jimbo

Agreed, I wouldn't count on it, sorry if my post sounded otherwise, the OPs chances of success depends, among other things, their account status, and how bad D* wants you as a customer, etc...you know the drill. Also, one line, maybe, 6 lines, that is another story.

I actually had a different experience....when I upgraded my dish to the AT-9 the installer left the diplexor hooked up and it still worked. I ended up unhooking it when I moved that receiver to a different TV, but it definitely worked.

It maybe that when you tried it, all 5 lnbs were not pulling in signals (one or more lnbs had 0 signal on all transponders), thus keeping that part of the bandwidth open (thus allowing OTA to function), the dish, when at full capacity, will have no such gap.

Last edited:
damaged said:
Agreed, I wouldn't count on it, sorry if my post sounded otherwise, the OPs chances of success depends, among other things, their account status, and how bad D* wants you as a customer, etc...you know the drill. Also, one line, maybe, 6 lines, that is another story.

jimmiepens appears to have no good choices, hopefully he comes to a good solution he can live with

Jimbo

I just had my dish replaced with a AT9 today and the installer didn't run a separate cable to my HR10, he left it hooked up to the multi-switch.
So, they are sending someone out next week to run a cable they should have run today. because of this they are also giving me $10.00 for six months because of my inconvenience, So I'm a happy camper. Also they installed a OTA antenna 2 weeks ago - the networks here in south Florida are both UHF/VHF, so i cant get a few with the UHF antenna they put up so they refunded the $49.00 i paid and also gave me a $75.00 credit to buy my own antenna - Guess they were in the giving mood today. Somebody up there love me huh ?:eek:

johnml said:
I just had my dish replaced with a AT9 today and the installer didn't run a separate cable to my HR10, he left it hooked up to the multi-switch.
So, they are sending someone out next week to run a cable they should have run today. because of this they are also giving me $10.00 for six months because of my inconvenience, So I'm a happy camper. Also they installed a OTA antenna 2 weeks ago - the networks here in south Florida are both UHF/VHF, so i cant get a few with the UHF antenna they put up so they refunded the $49.00 i paid and also gave me a $75.00 credit to buy my own antenna - Guess they were in the giving mood today. Somebody up there love me huh ?:eek:

Check this antena out. Probably about what you will need at a good price, too! You might be able to find it locally.
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=ANC3679

Jimbos said:
Check Home Depot, Lowes , Radio Shack they carry name brands.,unless you have a OTA antenna company around, though they may cost more

Jimbo

I just checked the Lowes website. They have the Channel Master 3018 at the Oakland Park store for around $60. It's worth checking out. IIRC, you already have a pole. All of the Miami/FtLauderdale stations are from the same direction, so you shouldn't need a rotor unless you want to pick up the WPB stations, too.

raoul5788 said:
I just checked the Lowes website. They have the Channel Master 3018 at the Oakland Park store for around $60. It's worth checking out. IIRC, you already have a pole. All of the Miami/FtLauderdale stations are from the same direction, so you shouldn't need a rotor unless you want to pick up the WPB stations, too.
Personally, if you can afford it, get the rotor also, it will come in handle from time to time, sometimes I will have to move it a few degrees one way or another... Digital signals need to be closer than analog for a solid signal.
You'll be happier in the long run, I can't imagine running up on the roof with tools to adjust my antenna each time I wanted to... Of course I use my rotor regularly to pick up Detroit often and CBC Canada during hockey season.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Personally, if you can afford it, get the rotor also, it will come in handle from time to time, sometimes I will have to move it a few degrees one way or another... Digital signals need to be closer than analog for a solid signal.
You'll be happier in the long run, I can't imagine running up on the roof with tools to adjust my antenna each time I wanted to... Of course I use my rotor regularly to pick up Detroit often and CBC Canada during hockey season.

Jimbo

Good point!

I guess I am confused. I had the AT9 installed a month ago (with the H20 receiver) and I am still receiving my OTA channels through a diplexer. I live in Phoenix and I am getting the HD locals from the AT9 as well. Am I missing something here?

Hoss said:
I guess I am confused. I had the AT9 installed a month ago (with the H20 receiver) and I am still receiving my OTA channels through a diplexer. I live in Phoenix and I am getting the HD locals from the AT9 as well. Am I missing something here?

See post #10.

If I had known that the diplexer would not work (eventually), I would not have even bothered with the new dish. I guess I should have done more research before having the new dish installed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts