DirecPC dish and Dish rx

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mbarnes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I just picked up a complete two-way DirecPC system. I was searching the forums and I seem to recall seeing a post where someone got one of these dishes. IIRC, the poster said he pointed it at IA6 and connected a Dish Network receiver to it and picked up a number of channels. Now, I can't find the post.

So, my question is, can a Dish Network receiver be used on other satellites? Is there a way to use it as a general DVB/FTA receiver?

Or did I read or recall the post incorrectly?

I found the original post. Not sure if I'm reading it right.

From Iceberg 04/2005
Got a new DirecPC dish off Fleabay a couple weeks ago and Saturday it arrived at my house : )

Opened it up and found out there is more than one model of the DirecPC. I have an old 39x23 dish I got from PSB this past winter. This one is only 35x20. So its like a Superdish. I didnt know there were more than one size of them

I figured since it was oblong it would give me a better signal (and since 35 is more than 30 After cleaning it off (I barely wash dishes yet the DirecPC dish gets a good scrubbing…to get the cobwebs and bird droppings off it) I looked and noticed it takes a 2 3/8 mount. The motor mount is only 1 5/8
Off to the hardware store I go to find a spacer…..got a couple things I thought would work and tried to make them work. Nope.. so lets use the duct tape theory.
I waited until Sunday and then it dawned on me….I wonder if this thing even works?

Hooked up to the Dish receiver and was able to get the DBS working. Then I mounted this where the other DirecPC dish is (same mount size) and aimed at IA6.
Signals were
Doc Scott-75-80
CBS Feed-60
ABCNews-50
IRS thingy-52

in that post the DirecPC dishes have a KU & a DBS LNB on them. I used the DBS LNB to make sure it worked. Then I switched to the KU and used the FTA reciever

Unless you do some massive reprogramming of the Dish box (ie: rip the top open and jtag it) the box is only good for a few freebie DBS channels like NASA & Angel One

Iceberg, you have piqued my interest, as I just happen to have an old (Model 3000 or 5000 - don't remember) E* receiver. Hasn't been used in about 3 years - since I got the DVR box...
Seems to be a perfect candidate for an autopsy... :D
Can you elaborate on the 'massive reprogramming'?

I've heard of older E* receivers being converted for basic FTA (no blind scan, totally manual, no motor control of course)... Sounds like an interesting project for fun, but with the price of FTA receivers featuring blind scan, motor control, and even PVR functions coming down, its probably more trouble than its worth.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)