Direct equivalent of Hopper/Joey

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chrisn

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Wisconsin
I've done some research and just want to confirm what I think I know. I'm with DISH now, but they won't upgrade me to 1Hopper/2Joey setup so I will switch as soon as I can get some stuff off the DVR.

Main tv is in living room. 2 bedroom tv's. All HD.

The HR34 with two HR25's would be similar. Or the HR24 with two HR25's would also be similar.

The biggest difference between the 34 and 24 is 5 tuners vs 2 tuners. 34 can record 5 shows at once, the 24 can record 2.

The 34 would allow us to watch a different live program from each tv at the same time.

The 24 would allow us to watch 2 different live programs from two tv's, while watching a DVR show from a third.

In both setups, I can manage the DVR from any tv in the house.

In either setup, you cannot pause/rewind/ff live tv on the 25's. You'd have to set up an event/timer first.

A question: Are all of the outputs on the back of the 34 and 24 "hot"?

Main tv is in living room. 2 bedroom tv's. All HD.

The HR34 with two HR25's would be similar. Or the HR24 with two HR25's would also be similar.
there is no hr25, there is an hr24 hd-dvr and an h25, hd receiver

The biggest difference between the 34 and 24 is 5 tuners vs 2 tuners. 34 can record 5 shows at once, the 24 can record 2.
yes
The 34 would allow us to watch a different live program from each tv at the same time.
not technically
each tv would need at least a reciver, all recievers have thier own tuners for live tv

The 24 would allow us to watch 2 different live programs from two tv's, while watching a DVR show from a third.
not technically
you can watch live at the hr24 and record a show. the u nit at the other tv would allow you to watch live there

In both setups, I can manage the DVR from any tv in the house.
no. you can manage from each dvr individually. or suedo manage from a non dvr unit

In either setup, you cannot pause/rewind/ff live tv on the 25's. You'd have to set up an event/timer first.
on an h25 you would be correct

A question: Are all of the outputs on the back of the 34 and 24 "hot"?

yes, but that all show the same feed

Thanks! On the "different live program" questions, I understand I'll need the 25's in the other rooms. I should have been clearer.

So, an H25 can pseudo-manage the dvr of a 34 or 24... can it create a timer/event?

I think, maybe, I have it all figured out. It seems that, if up front price is not an issue, there isn't a reason to go with an HR24 over an HR34.

the h25 can create timers events on the dvr units. the hr-34 should be your main choice as it has the 5 tuners over the 2 in the hr-24

what i do not think you can do is set a program to record on a diff dvr then the one you may be using

The H25 can set a recording on any DVR in the system (I have a H25, HR24, and HR24, and when I set a recording from the H25, it asks which DVR I want to record to). The other advantage of the HR34, is that it would allow up to I think 3 remote sessions (i.e. 3 H25's to be watching something recorded on the HR34 at the same time), while the HR24 only allows one remote session (so if you have 2 H25's only one could access a recording on the HR24). You would also be able to watch live TV on the H25 no matter how many things were recording on either DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)