Direct HD PAck Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vinnyv07

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2004
I am a Direct sub with the HD pack as an add on. I'm really growing tired of paying for the HD pack. I never watch the HD ch's. I mean never. I want to know if I cancel the HD pack....I still will be getting ABC, NBC, Fox and CBS in HD. Plus I'll still be receiving HBOHD and ShoHD. It just irks the hell out of me that Im paying 12.99 for HDNET, HDNET Movies, DiscHD , ESPNHD and UPNHD. Discovery I like but I never really sit down and watch. UPNHD has been a big disappointment to me. My question is if I cancel the HD pack, what happens when my area (NY) goes MPEG 4? I lose the locals and HBO and Sho in HD? Or is the conversion just for locals in HD? All the HD ch's are going to Mpeg 4? Does the fact that Im not a HDpack subscriber mean that I wont get upgraded?

The reports that I have seen have been 1 of 2 things:
1) They will be an add-on to the already existing Locals fee (aka no additional fee)
2) They will have a extra line-item for HD-Locals

Either way, they won't be tied to the HD Package.

But until DirecTV formally announces anything, it is all speculation

Right MPEG-4 has only been announced for HD Local-In-Locals, but probably in the LONG run, all HD content will be via the MPEG-4.

Any "conversion" plans would probably be tied to active equipment on your account.

vinnyv07,

As of right now (I Believe) you will get your local HD channels if you subscribe to the local channels and you will still get HBO & Showtime HD as long as you subscribe to HBO & Showtime. The $10.99 is what the 5 HD channels HDnet, HDnet Movies, Universal HD, Discovery HD & ESPN HD gets you & probably the select Yes HD games and other "special events" they do at this time. I would think that you would still get an Mpeg 4 box because they have you on file for having one. Also you would be receiving the channels that are going to be affected right away especially since your in New York.

Do you think you would add the HD pack back once we start to see more channels even though the price will most likely go up? Of the 5 HD pack channels I watch HDnet Movies the least, I watch the other 4 a lot though as well as HBO. I just added Showtime recently to check it out to see if I'll like it. I still expect Universal to get better & better but it's taking longer than I would have thought, they need to mix in some more of the old Bravo HD programing to keep things a little fresher & pick up a few more shows from scifi etc...

just cancel it online, check to see what you have, and add it back on if you lose what you want. Or just do what I do and only order premiums when there's something on you want to watch (for about 50 cents a day).

towelie said:
just cancel it online, check to see what you have, and add it back on if you lose what you want. Or just do what I do and only order premiums when there's something on you want to watch (for about 50 cents a day).

never tried this....so it is prorated, if you cancel after watching a show or two they only charge you 50 cents?

they charge by day. so if you have it active for any portion of a day, you will by charged for only 1 day.

CWS_kahuna said:
vinnyv07,

Do you think you would add the HD pack back once we start to see more channels even though the price will most likely go up? Of the 5 HD pack channels I watch HDnet Movies the least, I watch the other 4 a lot though as well as HBO. I just added Showtime recently to check it out to see if I'll like it. I still expect Universal to get better & better but it's taking longer than I would have thought, they need to mix in some more of the old Bravo HD programing to keep things a little fresher & pick up a few more shows from scifi etc...[/QUOTE/]

Just to update.....I did cancel on-line. And now I feel better. But to answer the above question...YES , I would add the HD pack back in no time if they added some HD that I want to watch. I was a former Voom sub and I miss MonstersHD and RaveHD the most. I also miss watching TNTHD...they showed some great movies in HD on weekends when I am home the most from work. HDNET is a good ch but I never really find stuff on there that I am compelled to watch. UniversalHD has been a big disappointment for me...but I agree , it will probably get better. By the way where is JAWS in HD? I receive all of my OTA HD with the old VOOM receiver...so the HD that I usually watch is free. Being OTA it usually has the best PQ around. I think you cant beat OTA for PQ. I am finally able to pull in WNETHD....which has cool shows like NOVA and others. I would just like to see Directv at least add TNTHD...which should have been added for a year now.

BTW...how long have you had your HD receiver? I was thinking some part of the deal with getting the HD box (or maybe it was the Voom upgrade rebate I'm thinking of) required keeping the HD Pack for a period of time...going from memory so I could be completely wrong...

When they had the HD Recievers for $99 installed... you had to keep the HD Pack for at least 6 months (if not a year in some cases).

But I don't think that is situation now.

ebonovic said:
When they had the HD Recievers for $99 installed... you had to keep the HD Pack for at least 6 months (if not a year in some cases).

But I don't think that is situation now.

Even back then it wasn't a requirement. Only requirement is and always has been Total Choice.

Changing programming online is a great way to watch what you want, when you want. I am definitely a proponent for watching HBO for $.40 per day. Am headed in the direction of watching the HD pack on an as needed basis.

mlkeller said:
BTW...how long have you had your HD receiver? I was thinking some part of the deal with getting the HD box (or maybe it was the Voom upgrade rebate I'm thinking of) required keeping the HD Pack for a period of time...going from memory so I could be completely wrong...
I have had my TV with a built in HD Direct receiver for three years now. It was a great deal when I bought the television. But now facing an upgrade I wont be using my internal receiver anymore. One thing about an internal receiver....no matter what , you are stuck with it for the life of the tv. My HD receiver is the equivalent to the RCA DTC-100. If you know that HD receiver , you know that it is old and slow. It lacks many of the new features that many recievers today have. Guide is so slow ...I never use it. Ch changing is slow also.....but I still love my HDTV. When I received the VOOM HD receiver it was like getting a brand new toy. It so much better at pulling in distant locals than the old Direct receiver. So I use my VOOM receiver for locals and my Directv receiver for the HD that Direct provides. I just wish it was a little more.

Tonedeaf said:
Even back then it wasn't a requirement. Only requirement is and always has been Total Choice.

Changing programming online is a great way to watch what you want, when you want. I am definitely a proponent for watching HBO for $.40 per day. Am headed in the direction of watching the HD pack on an as needed basis.

would this apply to the playboy channel as well?

If you activate a package online, is it immediately available? If you know there's something you want to see, how far ahead of time do you need to activate it?

Tonedeaf said:

kvchief said:
If you activate a package online, is it immediately available? If you know there's something you want to see, how far ahead of time do you need to activate it?
On within seconds of confirming changes online.

Tonedeaf said:
On within seconds of confirming changes online.

Yes ...cancelling and activating takes a matter of minutes. Lets hope Direct doesnt start tacking on a fee everytime you add or remove something. Cable in my area has a habit of doing that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts