Direct Installed Today, Hur-ray?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

pfan1981

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Green Bay, WI
I just moved to a big apartment complex that was built within the last 4 years, should be better wired for satellite. My wife was home today with the installer (wrong move by the way, for our install and our marriage lol) and I got home to see some interesting things.......

1. there is a co-axial cable going from our living room to our bedroom......hmmmm........that's a bit of a safety risk eh?

2. Our internet which was working before install is not working, got a call into our service provider.

3. Also, the installer couldn't program our phillips 46" LCD, or our samsung 40" LCD to the remotes, pretty standard TVs in my opinion.

Should I be a little irked about this, or is my situation the norm?

Oh Lord.

1) That's not OK.
2) I'm guessing the installer probably tried to piggyback on the cable company coax for the dish run. This is not OK.
3) It can be a pain trying codes, but if I can control my six year old off-brand LCD, yours should be no problem. Again, not OK.
4) Your installer sucks. Be irked. Be very irked.

Where is the dish installed? Since you mention an apartment complex if the dish is on the deck there may be no other way to run a cable to another room than across the floorboards

The remote codes shouldn't be a problem just go to direct.com, do a search for "remote codes", then when you get the next page, click on "remote control lookup". After that just enter the make and model number of your TV and, since both are major brands, you're likely to come up with exact matches and won't have to go through trial and error with a long list of possible numbers. I've done this several times and with the exception of a very old off-brand TV I got an exact match each time. Good luck.

Question: Does the program remote feature on the STB not work? I had to resort to doing this because the installer couldn't get the remote to properly control my 2 year old Philips 32" LCD. It also doesn't play that nice with my 57" Toshiba H83. Seems to work fine turning off the TV's like it should but never works to turn on the 32" and only sometimes works to turn on the 57". Do I need to just plug in the code instead of using the program remote feature?

Thanks!

The charter internet guy came over and fixed the wires being all over the floors. He now has them running through the walls to their correct locations. He didn't have to run any wires, but just knew which ones to interconnect and split. In the Direct installer's defense, he never did an install at our complex and the charter guy has done about a 100. Also, got the components programmed but had to hold the direct remote directly in front of the direct receiver to do so, kinda weird?

Overall, I am happy with the service. I don't visibly notice that the HD is better than Dish, but I'll take your word for it. I don't like how the 30s ahead button fast forwards (Dish just skipped right to 30s ahead). The DVR is a decent size. The guide is fairly useful. We'll see how reliable the signal is during the winter months. Dish only went out 3 times in five years (2 from snow, 1 from a down pour of rain).

How do I record only new episodes of a series? Thanks, pfan

You can set the DVRs to skip just like Dish networks. Search keyword 30skip if I am not mistaken to put it in that mode.

To record only new episodes on remote hit Menu then scroll to Manage Recordings-> Record Defaults-> Episode Type needs to be First Run

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)