Direct Is Starting To Fight Back

Dvlos said:
I think that if Voom had enough users to make a profit that they would reinvest it immediately to keep up with D*.. You are right there aren't 150 HD channels now, but by 2007 there should be more HD channels out there.

Even if there is not an HD version of the channel, people would be amaized how good plain old NTSC can look when it is not compressed. If they took the C-Band satellite feeds of SD channels and simply only compressed them to 19.2mbit/sec instead of around 3.5 mbit/sec people would be astonished. If you had enough bandwidth you could put every channel out at 19.2 mbit/sec and then when the HD version came along switch over to it instead for better picture.

Dvlos said:
I think that if Voom had enough users to make a profit that they would reinvest it immediately to keep up with D*.. You are right there aren't 150 HD channels now, but by 2007 there should be more HD channels out there.
I'm at a loss here... I fail to see the big deal, when Voom will probably have 150 HD channels also by that time.... and as far as the 1500 HD locals D* is going to have, what's the big deal there, when most people will only get 5 or 6 of them... after all, they are locals, aren't they... does anybody with D* at present get any locals that aren't there own.... I think not.... I'm not with D*, but I just don't get it.... must be my Georgia (deep south) mentality...

Are the DirecTV local HD channels going to be broadcast via the satellite link or by using an antenna? The only advantage would be if then come in via satellite, and people outside of antenna range can then receive locals in high-definition. Somehow I doubt that's the case.

For the vast majority of people, Voom satellite + antenna can already receive the local channels in high-def. As for the 150 HD channels, unless they're exclusive D* channels then i'm sure Voom will get them too. But they don't exist right now.

I switched from D* to V* because of their TERRIBLE picture quality for SD programming, and their horribly slow program guide. It's brutal. Voom's is much better. If something ever does happen to Voom, I'll switch to Dish first, and cable second. I'll never move back to DirecTV.

eric2004 said:
Are the DirecTV local HD channels going to be broadcast via the satellite link or by using an antenna? The only advantage would be if then come in via satellite, and people outside of antenna range can then receive locals in high-definition. Somehow I doubt that's the case.

For the vast majority of people, Voom satellite + antenna can already receive the local channels in high-def.
That is the case. As you said, the HD locals can be received with an OTA antenna without V*, D*, or E*. The plan is to broadcast them via satellite precluding the need for an OTA antenna.

voomvoom said:
I'm at a loss here... I fail to see the big deal, when Voom will probably have 150 HD channels also by that time.... and as far as the 1500 HD locals D* is going to have, what's the big deal there, when most people will only get 5 or 6 of them... after all, they are locals, aren't they... does anybody with D* at present get any locals that aren't there own.... I think not.... I'm not with D*, but I just don't get it.... must be my Georgia (deep south) mentality...
The big deal is being able to receive both your HD locals and the HD nationals with a single dish and not needing an OTA antenna.

what's the big deal? ask this guy:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=27719

real estate is really expensive where I am, so lots of people live in condos. good luck getting an OTA antenna there. if your cable co. doesn't give you local hd, you're screwed. that's my brother's case. if it weren't for e*'s cbshd west feed, he'd get no hd locals at all.

branchbouncer said:
I am missing something here(maybe to my favor)We have Total Choice Plus.the HD pak,HBO(we switch prems every month)and 4 stb's and our bill is 74.95 per month seems more than enough grap to have on a TV,specially with the new national channel fall line ups ,shows for idiots and retards
thats what? espnhd, hdnet, hdnetmovies, bravohd, discoveryhd, and hbohd. 6 HD channels... pathetic. I get more than that OTA.

barth2k said:

real estate is really expensive where I am, so lots of people live in condos. good luck getting an OTA antenna there. if your cable co. doesn't give you local hd, you're screwed. that's my brother's case. if it weren't for e*'s cbshd west feed, he'd get no hd locals at all.

Here in Florida, condo capital of the world, I see dishes and OTA hanging off the rails on people's balconies, mounted on the side walls of their condos/apartments, and sometimes on the roof of the building with cables running down (obviously not on high rises but 4-5 story buildings).

It depends on the condo/apt. association I guess, but if your condo let's you get a dish on the balcony (most do) and you face south, you can also attach an OTA to it...

barth2k said:

I live in a townhouse in an urban area myself. You're right, the typical OTA antenna doesn't work well in an urban environment. However, the winegard SS models are designed specifically for urban environments -- they capture reflected signals from other buildings. I'm getting an average of 98 % signal strength for my OTA channels using the SS-1000. It really works well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)