Direct Rain Fade

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I live In Pompano Beach..Getting the same monsoon like weather your getting.
For some reason Direc held up for me. Dish went down several times.

Well considering we only lost a few times a minute or two a pop and once for 15 minutes out of the 43,200 minutes in a month that really isn't a lot of time and you might very well of not been watching or recording anything during it.

Its well known KA is more susceptible to rain fade vs KU.

Last edited:
Well considering we only lost a few times a minute or two a pop and once for 15 minutes out of the 43,200 minutes in a month that really isn't a lot of time and you might very well of not been watching or recording anything during it.

Good point. But I did not notice during my recordings as well. Could just be lucky.

I know that Directv uses KA for it's HD. What does Dish use?

Since having my dish re-aligned, I have have only lost HD twice and each time was less than 5 minutes. Before then, I lost HD if a bird flew by. Ironically, I have noticed that even after the HD and then 101 SD channels have gone, the HD and SD from the 119 are still coming through strong.

There is no HD from 119. Only SD locals in some cities, the ethnic package and some religious and music stations.

DirecTV SD uses Ku frequencies. HD is all KA, and is more affected by weather than Ku. So in bad weather, you can often continue to watch the SD channels even when the HD version is giving you 771s.

The worst places for rainfade are Texas, Louisiana and Florida where the rain density at the center of a storm can be very high (there are statistics from the people using satellites for telecommunications that show this.) Outside the southern states, with a well-aligned dish, you should not have problems very often. And it's not the rain at your dish that causes the problems, it's storm centers between you and the satellites over the equator.

There is no HD from 119. Only SD locals in some cities, the ethnic package and some religious and music stations.

DirecTV SD uses Ku frequencies. HD is all KA, and is more affected by weather than Ku. So in bad weather, you can often continue to watch the SD channels even when the HD version is giving you 771s.

The worst places for rainfade are Texas, Louisiana and Florida where the rain density at the center of a storm can be very high (there are statistics from the people using satellites for telecommunications that show this.) Outside the southern states, with a well-aligned dish, you should not have problems very often. And it's not the rain at your dish that causes the problems, it's storm centers between you and the satellites over the equator.

Very Important info here ....

This is my first summer with Direct. Previously I was with Dish. This past winter I had numerous "outages" (Direct) during snowstorms; never happened with Dish. I have had more interruptions so far this spring than I ever would have expected, especially the duration of outage. I'm going to contact Direct and see if they have a suggestion.

Otherwise, I certainly will make a change when it's time. :rant:

This is my first summer with Direct. Previously I was with Dish. This past winter I had numerous "outages" (Direct) during snowstorms; never happened with Dish. I have had more interruptions so far this spring than I ever would have expected, especially the duration of outage. I'm going to contact Direct and see if they have a suggestion.

Otherwise, I certainly will make a change when it's time. :rant:

Have you looked to see what your Signal Strengths are, I would check them when its good as well as during the bad.

Have you looked to see what your Signal Strengths are, I would check them when its good as well as during the bad.

I've had more signal issues the past 3 months than I had in the past 3 years. I don't know why, all signals are great and I'm able to trouble shoot more in depth with my equipment and everything shows perfect and I still see a bad rain fade. I know people I've talked to in my area have all said the same thing. Kinda odd

I had Dish for ~4 years, and now with DTV for 1.5. Had/have rain fade with both. Heavy summer Tstorms in NC. Maybe I should expect better, but regardless of the promises, it happened with both.

Only difference is that I don't remember the Dish DVR being so cranky when it lost signal..so I could watch DVR'd material even if the signal was out for a long period.

EDIT: The 622 also had OTA built-in (and I had it hooked up).. could watch all the severe weather notices that way.

I had Dish for ~4 years, and now with DTV for 1.5. Had/have rain fade with both. Heavy summer Tstorms in NC. Maybe I should expect better, but regardless of the promises, it happened with both.

Only difference is that I don't remember the Dish DVR being so cranky when it lost signal..so I could watch DVR'd material even if the signal was out for a long period.

EDIT: The 622 also had OTA built-in (and I had it hooked up).. could watch all the severe weather notices that way.

You can still do that with D* if you have a AM21.
D* had OTA tuners in thier recvrs for a long time till eventually deciding to do away with them.
Don't know for sure why they did that, other than to promote thier own Locals ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)